Clean Payment Buttons For Paypal, Paypal Subscriptions, Etc.

hophead

Hello all,

I came here looking for a fix to the ugly and confusing PayPal Standard Payments buttons on the Confirm Payment page.

post-10559-0-63206400-1405142165_thumb.p

I came across this thread in the support topics: http://www.blesta.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2532-change-paypal-buttons/

I love the idea quoted below and I'd like to make it a feature request:

I like the consistency, but these might be a problem due to the simple fact that the buttons don't mention "PayPal" in any capacity.

Personally (and this is me speaking as an individual and not in any official capacity as a Blesta dev), I like the idea of not using graphical buttons at all. I think they should just be regular UI buttons that say either "Pay with PayPal" or "Pay with PayPal Subscription". And similarly for all other non-merchant gateways (i.e. "Pay with Payza", "Pay with Skrill", etc.). That would be, by far, the most consistent implementation, and the most graphically pleasing.

On a side note, PayPal has some of the ugliest buttons ever imagined. They were ugly in 1998, and even more so today. This only fuels my desire to do away with graphical buttons altogether.

So may feature request is to use standard UI buttons for the payment form, with text labels like "Pay with PayPal". This will increase usability and accessibility. You could also add an option for showing one of the new PayPal logos on the Make Payment page with the payment method, and possibly the PayPal accepts cards image on the Confirm Payment page.  

post-10559-0-64815700-1405142509.png

post-10559-0-20641800-1405142550_thumb.j

One more feature request: It would be great if Blesta provided a customizable message for the Confirm Payment page to help guide the customer through the payment process.

I was running 2.5 for a very long time and I'm really enjoying 3.2! Thanks for all your hard work!

Hello all,

I came here looking for a fix to the ugly and confusing PayPal Standard Payments buttons on the Confirm Payment page.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-07-11 at 10.11.20 PM.png

I came across this thread in the support topics: http://www.blesta.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2532-change-paypal-buttons/

I love the idea quoted below and I'd like to make it a feature request:

So may feature request is to use standard UI buttons for the payment form, with text labels like "Pay with PayPal". This will increase usability and accessibility. You could also add an option for showing one of the new PayPal logos on the Make Payment page with the payment method, and possibly the PayPal accepts cards image on the Confirm Payment page.  

attachicon.gifbdg_payments_by_pp_2line.png

attachicon.gifAM_mc_vs_dc_ae.jpg

One more feature request: It would be great if Blesta provided a customizable message for the Confirm Payment page to help guide the customer through the payment process.

I was running 2.5 for a very long time and I'm really enjoying 3.2! Thanks for all your hard work!

There's already a thread about this: http://www.blesta.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2532-change-paypal-buttons/?hl=paypal but personally I like them the way they are not had any issues or complaints so far.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

What do you think of generic buttons for all non-merchant gateways instead? e.g. "Buy Now", rather than gateway-specific buttons like "Checkout with PayPal", "Pay with Skrill", etc.

I think it would be alright, but perhaps consider putting the gateway name in the text so it's very clear.  "Check out now with PayPal/Skrill/<gateway name>" type thing.

wfitg alluded to this; we have to be careful to still comply with the EU Consumer rights directive when making our own buttons. 

The buttons need to be clear that there is an obligation to pay

As in my original topic, the PayPal buttons that I changed mine to say "Pay now" and "subscribe" (it would be better for the button to say "subscribe and pay" but I don't have much of a choice in order to keep consistency).

I appreciate that PayPal/non-merchant gateways are likely to be doing some of this obligation for us on subsequent pages, but it is best to be absolutely clear so that there is no room for error.

I also agree with Jonathan that it would be best to mention the non-merchant gateway being used.

Therefore, taking all of this into consideration, Cody's quoted suggestion in the original post (from my original topic here), is the best:

Cody, on 16 Jun 2014 - 4:45 PM, said:snapback.png

Personally (and this is me speaking as an individual and not in any official capacity as a Blesta dev), I like the idea of not using graphical buttons at all. I think they should just be regular UI buttons that say either "Pay with PayPal" or "Pay with PayPal Subscription". And similarly for all other non-merchant gateways (i.e. "Pay with Payza", "Pay with Skrill", etc.). That would be, by far, the most consistent implementation, and the most graphically pleasing.

On a side note, PayPal has some of the ugliest buttons ever imagined. They were ugly in 1998, and even more so today. This only fuels my desire to do away with graphical buttons altogether.

• 7 months later...

What is the consensus of this thread? A generic button, or swapping out the PayPal image buttons with different image buttons?

The generic button change, which Cody at least seems to be an advocate of here would be a change that affects all non-merchant payment gateways and would take a little longer to implement.

What is the consensus of this thread? A generic button, or swapping out the PayPal image buttons with different image buttons?

The generic button change, which Cody at least seems to be an advocate of here would be a change that affects all non-merchant payment gateways and would take a little longer to implement.

IMO a generic solution is the best way (assuming the button will still mention the name of the non-merchant somewhere) but an interim "quick-fix" to make everyone happy is fix the existing image.

A generic button is more of a feature request; swapping this image is more of a "bug" fix and the two items should be treated independently as such.

IMO a generic solution is the best way (assuming the button will still mention the name of the non-merchant somewhere) but an interim "quick-fix" to make everyone happy is fix the existing image.

A generic button is more of a feature request; swapping this image is more of a "bug" fix and the two items should be treated independently as such.

Agreed +1

I prefer Cody's option if you have to edit the gateways, no complaints then.

If we update just the PayPal button graphic for the interim, which do you want to see?

This one was recommended - http://www.blesta.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2938-clean-payment-buttons-for-paypal-paypal-subscriptions-etc/?p=35478

But we have to have 2 separate buttons, one for PayPal and one for PayPal Subscriptions.

Folks,

You have missed my original thread (I was the original instigator of all of this, prior to v3.2 :blush: ), whereby I have the solution for the 2 separate buttons. See here:

http://www.blesta.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2532-change-paypal-buttons/?p=19943

Everything is visually perfect with the buttons that I am using, see my screenshots and explanation...

IMO, those are the buttons to use.