Do Not Pre-Select A Package On Order Form

Alk

Could it be made possible that with the ajax boxes and wizard boxes order form templates, that a package is not pre-selected please? ie. that the customer has to purposefully select which package they would like to purchase. For example, rather than having this:

post-78-0-31848700-1405789263_thumb.png

Have it like this:

post-78-0-40430500-1405789266_thumb.png

I have 2 reasons for requesting this:

1. I think that it is good business practise not to pre-select packages because the customer may feel that you are forcing them into purchasing a package that they don't want.

2. If you have one order form with both a domain package group + other package groups (eg. webhosting) but a customer does not want to purchase one of these other packages, because they only want to purchase a domain name from the previous step, they currently cannot do this without being forced into having to select a package.

Not sure about this, because people can't read them. if you was to do this, show all packages without transparency.

I agree as this was also my concern. I can understand why it is currently like this as it makes the selection process more apparent. If this were to be implemented (and I hope that it does for the aforementioned reasons), I think that the current setup with a greyed out "Select" button that then turns green is sufficient. Of course, there would also need to be an error check in place should a customer attempt to continue through checkout without having first selected a package.

• 3 weeks later...

That looks nice, thanks Paul - that certainly resolves my first point. Regarding my second point though, it seems that no one else seems to have the same issue as me, so I think I'll just have to stick to a separate standard order form for only selling domains. A bit of a shame really because if someone was only buying a domain from me, I'd like to have the opportunity to upsell some webhosting to go with it, but as it stands I cannot do that as they won't have any choice.  -_-

Edited by alankru

You might like the new Ajax List and Wizard List order templates in 3.3. None are pre-selected.

Since you'll be making the ones in this new template not pre-selected, will you guys be doing the same with the existing ones?  I think this is a pretty good request, as the reasons for it have been spelled out rather nicely.

Being able to sell domains only, but still be able to upsell hosting accounts if a client so wishes (but not be forced to) would be a really nice thing to add.

And on a somewhat related note, direct links to order forms that have specific packages preselected would be nice as well, that way we don't have to make a separate order form for these purposes.

Something like order/main/packages/shared/?group_id=1&package_id=1 would be very nice :).

Since you'll be making the ones in this new template not pre-selected, will you guys be doing the same with the existing ones?  I think this is a pretty good request, as the reasons for it have been spelled out rather nicely.

Being able to sell domains only, but still be able to upsell hosting accounts if a client so wishes (but not be forced to) would be a really nice thing to add.

And on a somewhat related note, direct links to order forms that have specific packages preselected would be nice as well, that way we don't have to make a separate order form for these purposes.

Something like order/main/packages/shared/?group_id=1&package_id=1 would be very nice :).

I like the way they are at the moment.

I like the way they are at the moment.

Well just because you like it how it is doesn't mean it's not a good suggestion :P

Doesn't hurt to add more functionality, the change could easily involve an option on the order page "select default package", you leave it blank and it doesn't select one...then if you like the way it currently is, you pick the one you want to be default, and badabing...everyone is happy :).

Well just because you like it how it is doesn't mean it's not a good suggestion :P

Doesn't hurt to add more functionality, the change could easily involve an option on the order page "select default package", you leave it blank and it doesn't select one...then if you like the way it currently is, you pick the one you want to be default, and badabing...everyone is happy :).

I think that this would be helpful - thank you for your input Daniel. :)

Existing templates will not change, but I do like the idea of being able to choose which package should be selected by default, if any. I'll discuss with the team on how best to implement.

One issue though is with the AJAX type of order forms, a Package effectively has to be selected by default, otherwise none of the content below would be able to load.

One thing I really want to do, but will take some work, is to add the ability to "save cart", this would generate a link that you could publish or send to a potential customer that would drop them into the order form exactly where you saved it at.. with things pre-configured. There's a lot involved with this, so it will probably be a while. In the meantime, there may be some other options we can add that can be passed in to the order form.

One issue though is with the AJAX type of order forms, a Package effectively has to be selected by default, otherwise none of the content below would be able to load.

Could always have sort of hidden default package that all forms use, kinda trick the AJAX into thinking there's something there.  (I've never really gotten into AJAX though, so this could be a retarded idea and I just don't know it)

and the idea for saving a cart, that does sound awesome :)

• 5 years later...
On 8/13/2014 at 3:56 AM, Paul said:

… I do like the idea of being able to choose which package should be selected by default, if any. I'll discuss with the team on how best to implement.

Did any progress get made on this? I can't find any option to choose which package is selected by default.

On 8/10/2020 at 1:59 AM, Kal said:

Did any progress get made on this? I can't find any option to choose which package is selected by default.

We did not implement the OP's request, however you can choose which Package is selected by default by including it in the URL, see https://docs.blesta.com/display/user/Order+System#OrderSystem-LinkingtoaSpecificProduct

For example, you can append &package_id=2 to the URL to select the Package with an ID of 2 by default. This is particularly useful if linking to products from your website, you can link directly to the items with whatever options you want selected. You can even pre-select a price/term by passing in pricing_id.