Does Paypal Create A Payment Account In The Client's Account?

interfasys

Question

22 answers to this question

By default, the system shows credit card and ACH. Does the Paypal gateway automatically add a payment account in the list so that the customer can use it to pay for his invoices?

No it doesn't :( but it does if they make a subscription grab it the payment and apply it to their invoice if you have the IPN / API set up.

Payment accounts are for merchant gateways only. In the case of PayPal and other non-merchant gateways, there is nothing for Blesta to store.

If you want to disable credit card, or ach options you can do so under Settings > Company > Billing/Payment > Accepted Payment Types. If you disable both credit card and ACH, then payment accounts will be disabled. If you only accept non-merchant gateways like PayPal, you may wish to do this.

OK, so the menu item, page and dashboard notification should be hidden/disabled if no merchant gateways are used.

It makes no sense for a customer to click on the menu item, to be told he has not payment account, to be offered to add one, only to be shown a message telling him that this feature has been disabled. That's just poor usability imho.

Are you interested in hiding Payment Accounts from clients when Credit Card and ACH are both disabled? (From my previous post)

I don't think it should Paul mate, how can people add a card for future use or like me I have it stored on Blesta, but I only use it if needed, as I use the PayPal option for most invoices (minus Bitpay).

I don't think it should Paul mate, how can people add a card for future use or like me I have it stored on Blesta, but I only use it if needed, as I use the PayPal option for most invoices (minus Bitpay).

There is no need to add a card for future use if the service provider doesn't support that functionality.

In the case of Blesta, it does support it, so it makes sense to show that option, even if the customer doesn't want to use it.

There is no need to add a card for future use if the service provider doesn't support that functionality.

In the case of Blesta, it does support it, so it makes sense to show that option, even if the customer doesn't want to use it.

If you disable ACH and Credit Cards in the settings I would see why you would want it removed. So maybe that could be one of the ways to disable it.

What i would impose also is instead of separating merchant and non merchant just having a list of available options

My customers find the current way a little confusing

I agree! It may make sense to separate these on the backend, but on the client side a payment method is a payment method. Clients should see a simple list of payment options and select the one they want. For them, there should be no apparent distinction between choosing credit card, PayPal, etc.

same opinion than interfasys & WebHostCentral UK:

I agree it should be removed from customer view if disabled.. What i would impose also is instead of separating merchant and non merchant just having a list of available options

My customers find the current way a little confusing

It's allowing customer to enter in a dead end way (when option is disabled at admin side), and it's use unwanted losing place for being displayed in the left side of the dashboard.

Not using at all this option, I hacked code to remove it from the dashboard. But in my opinions this removing should be done in the native Blesta code.

It made me think the first time i saw it and i know what im doing.. but from a customer point of view it needs to be made very simple... and the current way at the moment is it is not very customer friendly...

Also not every hosting company has a merchant account, PayPal only.. from my experience Blesta looks as if it focuses on Merchant accounts..

Again easiest way around this would be to list all payment options (that are enabled in backend) in one list

Is there a reason why a recurring invoice can't have the PayPal subscribe option as well?

We frequently customize plans for clients and they'd very much like to set up a PP subscription for payment.

Not sure what you mean you can make it force subscriptions or allow both or force one time. Or do you mean so if they have a subscription it shows up there?

Not sure what you mean you can make it force subscriptions or allow both or force one time. Or do you mean so if they have a subscription it shows up there?

I want my clients to be able to automatically pay recurring invoices with PP like they can a credit card payment account.

I might be blind, but I couldn't find a way to do this from either the admin or the client side.

I want my clients to be able to automatically pay recurring invoices with PP like they can a credit card payment account.

I might be blind, but I couldn't find a way to do this from either the admin or the client side.

They can, if you set-up a subscription, on the PayPal gateway select: Subscription payments only and they can only do that. To set it up all they need to do is make a payment.

I didn't say it last time, but thanks for the help.

I don't think that would work since we often do one-offs that aren't recurring. I need to be able to do both individual payments + subscriptions.

They can, if you set-up a subscription, on the PayPal gateway select: Subscription payments only and they can only do that. To set it up all they need to do is make a payment.

The previous billing system I used showed PayPal Subscription as an option to clients when they were setting up their equivalent of a payment account. If they selected it, they were advised that a subscription would be initiated when they paid their next recurring invoice. That way, the client was informed of all their options and felt like they were in control.

Currently, in Blesta's client portal, the client isn't even made aware that PayPal Subscription is an option for future automatic payments. As far as I can tell, the only times the client sees the option for PayPal subscriptions is on the order page or when they actually go to pay an invoice. It would be better to show this an an option on their payment accounts page (if you choose to allow it).

Payment accounts are for merchant gateways only, and do not work with non-merchant gateways like PayPal.

I didn't say it last time, but thanks for the help.

I don't think that would work since we often do one-offs that aren't recurring. I need to be able to do both individual payments + subscriptions.

The PayPal gateway supports both one-time and recurring options if configured to accept both. The client can choose whether to make a one time payment or a subscription.

With PayPal subscriptions, the payment schedule is set on order and controlled by PayPal. Using their IPN, they notify Blesta when a new payment has been made. The process is separate from Blesta after initially set up, aside from the notification to Blesta. As such, payment accounts are irrelevant.

While I may not have the specific terminology down, I understand the concepts Paul (and thanks for chiming in).

None of that explains why recurring invoices can't be set up with the same option for PP subscription payments that services are.

Why not have something along the lines of:

If recurring invoice and not auto payments set up

if paying by PayPal allow magic for subscription to be set up

In my case, adding the flexibility to the manual addition of services that I bring up in a different thread would solve my issue.

Payment accounts are for merchant gateways only, and do not work with non-merchant gateways like PayPal.

The PayPal gateway supports both one-time and recurring options if configured to accept both. The client can choose whether to make a one time payment or a subscription.

With PayPal subscriptions, the payment schedule is set on order and controlled by PayPal. Using their IPN, they notify Blesta when a new payment has been made. The process is separate from Blesta after initially set up, aside from the notification to Blesta. As such, payment accounts are irrelevant.