Transaction Fees

interfasys

As a service provider, I want to be able to charge transaction fees or offer a discount to my customers based on the payment method they chose and I want to clearly show which fees are associated with each payment method.

Customers who need a domain name right away will not mind having to pay an extra 3% and the ones who can wait for activation will get the better price.

It should be possible to show the difference as a discount or as a fee. Per example

Choose a payment method : Bank transfer (-3% discount) - Credit card

or

Choose a payment method : Bank transfer - Credit card (+3% fee)

Some gateways such as Stripe recognise fees and they can be clearly shown to customers.

I'm not talking about charging more. We want to pass on the real costs to our customers. It's a very common practice. Some service providers disguise it by making you buy "points".

It's also something you have to be careful with, as passing on your cost to your users is against some companies policies (paypal for example).

I think it would be a nice feature to add though.

Where would you suggest this option be made available, for each payment gateway?

That's the first place I looked for it, but maybe there could be a global setting which could be overriden by payment plugins?

Also, gateways recognise the type of cards and sellers could offer something like this, if they're charged differently.

V/MC 3%

V Debit 1%

Amex 5%

That could be in V2 maybe.

if this implemented ,i think this should be per gateway , a new option in gateway about some additional fees and then he gateway should show a message to the client about this fees .

NOTE : it can be done now with a simple modification in the gateway , we have made a custom gateway for paypal named "paypal_payments_universal" that has a built-in rate exchange/curency change/showing message to cleints about the this modification .

@interfasys if you need helphow to do your own gateways with your idea , just PM me . (a votre service ... :) )

• 8 years later...
On 8/28/2014 at 7:52 PM, interfasys said:

As a service provider, I want to be able to charge transaction fees or offer a discount to my customers based on the payment method they chose and I want to clearly show which fees are associated with each payment method.

Customers who need a domain name right away will not mind having to pay an extra 3% and the ones who can wait for activation will get the better price.

It should be possible to show the difference as a discount or as a fee. Per example

Choose a payment method : Bank transfer (-3% discount) - Credit card

or

Choose a payment method : Bank transfer - Credit card (+3% fee)

Some gateways such as Stripe recognise credit card transaction fees and they can be clearly shown to customers.

You can definitely set up your payment processing system to charge transaction fees or offer discounts to customers based on their chosen payment method. This can help incentivize customers to choose a payment method that is more cost-effective for your business. As you mentioned, some payment gateways such as Stripe do allow you to set up fees and discounts that are clearly displayed to customers during the checkout process. This can help customers make an informed decision about which payment method to choose based on their needs and preferences. To set up fees or discounts for specific payment methods, you will need to check with your payment gateway provider for specific instructions on how to configure these settings. Some payment gateways may offer more flexibility than others, so be sure to compare different providers to find the one that best meets your needs. It's also important to ensure that your pricing and fee structures are clearly communicated to your customers. This can help avoid confusion and ensure that customers are aware of any additional fees or discounts associated with specific payment methods. Overall, offering transaction fees or discounts can be a great way to incentivize customers to choose a more cost-effective payment method while also helping to streamline your payment processing system.