Renewing Domains

flangefrog

Question

How does renewing domain names work in Blesta? An invoice will be sent a week or so before it is due to expire.

Is the domain renewed on payment of the invoice?
For a TLD like .com next renewal date will need to be changed to 1 year since payment. It will work if it is a .nz TLD as those add a year from the expiry date not the payment date.

Is the domain renewed on the renewal date?
This could cause problems if it is even a few minutes too late as the domain might be cancelled.

Is the domain renewed if invoice is not paid?
I'm guessing it is not.

When the domain has been cancelled for non payment but is later paid, will the domain be renewed?
This may cause problems if the registry charges fees to reinstate a domain because Blesta will not charge them.

9 answers to this question

Domains are renewed via their module when their invoices are paid. If the domain is paid late, after it has expired, this could be a problem depending on how late it is and the registrars policies.

If  a service is cancelled, and the invoice is left open and subsequently paid, it *should NOT* be renewed. I don't recall testing this specific scenario myself, but this is how it should work. A cancelled service cannot do anything.

Domains are renewed via their module when their invoices are paid. If the domain is paid late, after it has expired, this could be a problem depending on how late it is and the registrars policies.

If  a service is cancelled, and the invoice is left open and subsequently paid, it *should NOT* be renewed. I don't recall testing this specific scenario myself, but this is how it should work. A cancelled service cannot do anything.

Ok, how does this work with .com domains? When you renew a .com it will only renew it for a year from the renewal date not the expiry date. If a .com expires on 2014/01/07 but the invoice is paid on 2014/01/01 then next year the domain will expire on 2014/01/01. The expiry date in Blesta remains 2014/01/07 so the client doesn't have time to renew before it is cancelled.

They are just invoiced for the domain under the price you have set, if they don't pay for the invoice it's not renewed. Paul beat me :D

Before you edited the post you mentioned logicboxes doesn't renew the domains. Looking at the modules it's only namecheap EDIT: enom missing the renewal code so does logicboxes work or is it broken?

Ok, how does this work with .com domains? When you renew a .com it will only renew it for a year from the renewal date not the expiry date. If a .com expires on 2014/01/07 but the invoice is paid on 2014/01/01 then next year the domain will expire on 2014/01/01. The expiry date in Blesta remains 2014/01/07 so the client doesn't have time to renew before it is cancelled.

Before you edited the post you mentioned logicboxes doesn't renew the domains. Looking at the modules it's only namecheap missing the renewal code so does logicboxes work or is it broken?

I just looked at the logicboxes code and it's there now I've been going by the forum ;) haha I might have misread it though. I don't sell domains :D

Before you edited the post you mentioned logicboxes doesn't renew the domains. Looking at the modules it's only namecheap missing the renewal code so does logicboxes work or is it broken?

LoginBoxes Works for renewing :)

Here is the proof :)

/**
	 * Allows the module to perform an action when the service is ready to renew.
	 * Sets Input errors on failure, preventing the service from renewing.
	 * @param stdClass $package A stdClass object representing the current package
	 * @param stdClass $service A stdClass object representing the current service
	 * @param stdClass $parent_package A stdClass object representing the parent service's selected package (if the current service is an addon service)
	 * @param stdClass $parent_service A stdClass object representing the parent service of the service being renewed (if the current service is an addon service)
	 * @return mixed null to maintain the existing meta fields or a numerically indexed array of meta fields to be stored for this service containing:
	 * 	- key The key for this meta field
	 * 	- value The value for this key
	 * 	- encrypted Whether or not this field should be encrypted (default 0, not encrypted)
	 * @see Module::getModule()
	 * @see Module::getModuleRow()
	 */
	public function renewService($package, $service, $parent_package=null, $parent_service=null) {

$row = $this->getModuleRow($package->module_row);
		$api = $this->getApi($row->meta->reseller_id, $row->meta->key, $row->meta->sandbox == "true");

// Renew domain
		if ($package->meta->type == "domain") {
			$fields = $this->serviceFieldsToObject($service->fields);

$response = $domains->details(array('order-id' => $fields->{'order-id'}, 'options' => array("OrderDetails")));
			$this->processResponse($api, $response);
			$order = $response->response();

$vars = array(
				'years' => 1,
				'order-id' => $fields->{'order-id'},
				'exp-date' => $order->endtime,
				'invoice-option' => "NoInvoice"
			);

foreach ($package->pricing as $pricing) {
				if ($pricing->id == $service->pricing_id) {
					$vars['years'] = $pricing->term;
					break;
				}
			}

// Only process renewal if adding years today will add time to the expiry date
			if (strtotime("+" . $vars['years'] . " years") > $order->endtime) {
				$api->loadCommand("logicboxes_domains");
				$domains = new LogicboxesDomains($api);
				$response = $domains->renew($vars);
				$this->processResponse($api, $response);
			}
		}
		else {
			#
			# TODO: SSL Cert: Set cancelation date of service?
			#
		}

return null;
	}

PauloV, do you use the Logicboxes module yourself with no problems renewing? There is another thread today: http://www.blesta.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3330-domain-renewal-use-module/ which mentions Logicboxes not working.

Also do you know the answer to this?

i think the probleme is here

$vars['years'] = $pricing->term;

if term is 12 mounth , the module try to renew it for 12 years , so this is not possible (limit is 10 years)

but of the term is 1 year , i think it shold renew without any probleme .

Yes, that could be it. I posted this under bugs a few days ago but was not aware the limit was 10 years.