Support Newer Php Versions

velaware

For the same reasons there are rules like PCI-DSS, FIPS and many more for some regulated industries, but we haven't reached the point where collecting customer data is deemed a major responsibility. In the UK though, you get fined if you leak data, so better be safe than sorry. I've seen so many companies leak personal information, simply because they think the script they've found on an abandoned forum used on that cheap host is good enough to run their business. As always with security though, you have to look at the bog picture, and the environment is one of the components.

And you get hit by Kernel issues, OS issues, as long as a script is locked down without a password I don't see what matters what they use. 5.6 might have more exploits than 5.4... MySQL 5.6 might just break your database...

As I mentioned earlier, it's not just one component and it's not just about software, but having minimal requirements help. There a reason a BlackBerry is the best option for regulated industries. You can't just patch Android and expect it to safeguard your data. Security doesn't work that way. And when you have breaches, you patch them, like everybody else. I'd rather do it twice a year than 12 times a year.

Real Senário:

WHMCS (next release): PHP =>PHP 5.3.7

WHSuite: PHP => 5.3.7

HostBill:: PHP => 5.3

ClientExec: PHP => 5.3

Blesta: PHP => 5.1

Migrating from PHP 5.1 to 5.2: http://php.net/manual/en/migration52.changes.php

Migrating from PHP 5.2 to 5.3: http://php.net/manual/en/migration53.changes.php

And so on...

The bottom line is: You are not enforce to upgrade PHP, is just new version have better codding and fix some bugs, that Blesta Devs can implement on Blesta Code,

Blesta connot use this for exemple or it will break users that have PHP == 5.1:

But are alot of outher new things that we can do with an updated PHP version that we cant do now with a minimum of PHP 5.1 :)

For me as a programmer, wen I make a new plugin or module for Blesta I have to think that Blesta minimum is PHP 5.1, so I have to code thinking like that, and so I cannot  use some of the new toys on PHP => 5.3 it will not work ar it will breack some Blesta Users :)

Like I said in the begining, I personaly dont mind that Blesta uses PHP 5.1 as minimum, but to help Blesta Grow (I love Blesta, and really want  to help), I sugest to raise the minimum requirement :)

Doesn't effect us as customers does it though, we apply the hotfix... why worry about other people?

1º- How to sell an Online Automated Hosting Billing System?

2º- What can we offer that outhers dont alredy offer?

This is the right questions :)

Blesta is not selling a services, he is selling a master pice of software, and like a great painting or a great car, it has to get the best of best :)

Wen you buy a new Car you dont want to drive in a dirt road with alot of holes (only if you buy an offroad car lol)

Wen you buy a painting (for paintig art lovers), you dont want to put in a wall that dosent hold the painting :P

Wen someone buys Blesta, they dont want to run in a server with a minimum of PHP 5.1 :)

It seams today am a bit inspired lol, I have to make a break and drink a coffee :)

Im going to catch the nex flight to UK and invite Mike to go to Starbucks or any outher popular Coffee Shop in UK :P

1º- How to sell an Online Automated Hosting Billing System?

2º- What can we offer that outhers dont alredy offer?

This is the right questions :)

Blesta is not selling a services, he is selling a master pice of software, and like a great painting or a great car, it has to get the best of best :)

Wen you buy a new Car you dont want to drive in a dirt road with alot of holes (only if you buy an offroad car lol)

Wen you buy a painting (for paintig art lovers), you dont want to put in a wall that dosent hold the painting :P

Wen someone buys Blesta, they dont want to run in a server with a minimum of PHP 5.1 :)

It seams today am a bit inspired lol, I have to make a break and drink a coffee :)

Im going to catch the nex flight to UK and invite Mike to go to Starbucks or any outher popular Coffee Shop in UK :P

If I buy a car I can do what I like with it, drive off road, drive in the snow, drive into water.. no-one can stop me no-one can say I can't.

1+ for @PauloV & @interfasys

@Licensecart , your idea for reasoning is not applicable with this situation , if we need to make a emulation in cars . you have the right to choose wich cart you want  , dirve in snow or in the road , is your choice , but what happen if your cars hasn't the tyres for snow weather ?!!! one day you will make accident  , this accedent is the security hole .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...