Namesilo Plugin

jbincs

Blesta needs a Namesilo plugin.

https://www.namesilo.com/domain_tools.php

API Modules

We have integrated our API with the plugins/modules listed below. It is our goal to help you manage or resell our services in the easiest ways. Please let us know if there are any other platforms you would like to see us support.

• 2 weeks later...

have you request them to do a plugin for blesta ?

https://www.namesilo.com/contact_us.php

Yes I did. This was their response:

Hi Jbincs,

Unfortunately, their documentation appears to be extremely sparse. I cannot imagine how a module could be written given how little they have provided. Perhaps the best thing to do would be to contact Blesta and request that they create the module. Our API is extremely simple and I would imagine it would not be much work for them.

Sorry to be passing off responsibility, but unless there is more thorough documentation there is not much we can do.

Thanks,

Skyler

-----------------------------------------

So I informed Blesta and asked for their help and this was their response:

Hi Jbincs,

We don't have a NameSilo module at the moment, and we're holding off on any internally developed registrar modules until we complete the domain name plugin that simplifies domain pricing. Someone on our forums may be interested in helping you develop a module though, there are some 3rd party developers there.

Either way, the best place to start is a feature request. :) http://www.blesta.com/forums/index.php?/forum/11-feature-requests/

Cheers

--

Paul Phillips

In other words they are too lazy to look at the development docs or even at a current registrar module to make one... I wouldn't touch that company if that was the reply I got.

I told SSLGuru about it on their livechat and they managed to make a module for Blesta themselves. Lazyness that's what it is.

• 2 weeks later...

This may be true that they are lazy in developing a blesta module.  However, the plugin benefits Blesta more than Namesilo.   I don't foresee any Namesilo members choosing Blesta over Namesilo.  In the end, Namesilo members will be forced to other hosting applications. 

Remember, people don't buy hosting applications and then see which domain registrars are available. It works the other way around. Those who are members of domain registrars look to see which hosting platform is available for them. Therefore, Blesta's growth depends on which providers are supported, but domain registrars aren't dependent on which hosting platform supports them.  People get domains first.

Not too long ago a Clientexec plugin popped up on Namesilo. So that will leave Blesta out of the mix.  I have a Hostbill and WHMCS license. However, development is more open on Blesta (for which I have use for custom plugins I want developed).  However, if  I cannot , why would I consider Blesta over the others?

I do hope a Namesilo plugin is developed though. I'd like to invest in Blesta because of it's openess in which I can have customization. Because of this, I would invest in Blesta for a long term.

My suggestion would be: If it's sooo simple to develop a Namesilo plugin, Blesta should just lose the ego and take the small amount of time to get it done, an done well to start capturing more sales, which would help in further development and growth.  A simple business logic, from a Business Analyst.

Just food for thought.

That may be true for some or even most people, but if you look around the forum you will find others who probably are startups who choose the registrar based on what is available. I don't see why Blesta needs to "Lose the ego". They are a business with limited resources and have to decide where to spend them to get the most return. Right now they are busy working on core features which are a lot more important than modules. Any business looking at Blesta can pay a developer to make a module, but if the core features are not there then that can stop potential users from switching.

People don't reliase Blesta 3.x is coded from the bottom up. If NameSilo cared about their customers they'd do a module, it's not like they are focusing on other things than selling domains which doesn't take a lot of man power to be honest. Blesta has 3 great guys coding every working day trying to make Blesta better and bigger and keeping it secure. If you want a rushed product fair enough but you'll be updating 10x more and complaining stuff isn't working.

Well, I'm a business analyst and not a developer. But a simple plugin would increase your customer base and provide more resources in the form of sales.  If 70% is devoted to software development and 30% is devoted to business development, Blesta would experience greater gains.

If you think I'm wrong, based on this forum alone and your passion for the product alone then so be it. I think Blesta has great upside so I hope you guys know I've no been arguing against it. I've been arguing for Blesta and it's success. Passion can sometime be blinding. 

Well, once a Namesilo plugin is available you'll in a single instant get 3 more paying customers (I think I saw two from another post) once the availability is known and there isn't already a significant investment in another platform.  (FYI, Namesilo is one of the fastest growing registrars so it will benefit Blesta:  http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/01/prweb11497507.htm)

Good luck!

That PR looks like it's from them, and anyone can write a PR saying they are the most popular or the best. I used to think ResellerClub was the best which is owned by Directi until they sold of to EIG. LicenseCube thought they was the biggest distributor for WHM** however when WHM** database was released they wasn't, LicensePal was. Plus we're just 2 members of the community, not staff.

We don't have an ego on the matter, I'd like to support all the different domain registrars. We have limited resources though, so we are attempting to put them to the best possible use by developing the most highly requested features first.

An argument can be made that not many people have requested NameSilo because of the fact that we don't offer it, and doing so would open up the market. I talk a lot about widening the funnel for Blesta. Offering more integrations widens the funnel, and increases our market reach. So yes, NameSilo would be great.

Right now we have been focusing largely on core features. Shoring up the core, so that we can focus more of our efforts on extensions in future releases. Pro forma invoices, pro rata, price overrides (all part of 3.3) are considered by many to be critical features. Only we can work on the core, but other developers can build extensions to integrate with an endless number of 3rd party services and APIs.

We are also working on a domain registrar plugin, that will allow for simpler set up of domain TLDs and pricing, and consolidate many of the features of domain registrars to make module development for registrars simpler going forward. It's difficult to take time away from highly requested features, to build a registrar module a few people want, that we'll have to rewrite later anyway to make it work well with the domain registrar plugin.

So, we hear ya. We know we need more integrations like NameSilo, and we aren't saying no. We just have to prioritize, and it's a difficult thing when we have so many great feature and extension requests. The community has had a large impact in the direction of development since our initial alpha releases, and we consider that dialogue of vital importance.

My point of view , the more modules/gateways integration exist for blesta , more possibilities for new clients .

I already talked with paul one day about this , blesta dev should make EQUILIBRATION about they todo List and about community requests .

I believe if the staff can add 1 or 2 new modules/gateways every release , that should be good enough .

For me i prefer more core feature than new mod/gat... but blesta should acquire new clients to stay alive in term of economy .

In the end we love blesta and we want to see it as the more used soft in billing management .

• 2 weeks later...

We don't have an ego on the matter, I'd like to support all the different domain registrars. We have limited resources though, so we are attempting to put them to the best possible use by developing the most highly requested features first.

An argument can be made that not many people have requested NameSilo because of the fact that we don't offer it, and doing so would open up the market. I talk a lot about widening the funnel for Blesta. Offering more integrations widens the funnel, and increases our market reach. So yes, NameSilo would be great.

Right now we have been focusing largely on core features. Shoring up the core, so that we can focus more of our efforts on extensions in future releases. Pro forma invoices, pro rata, price overrides (all part of 3.3) are considered by many to be critical features. Only we can work on the core, but other developers can build extensions to integrate with an endless number of 3rd party services and APIs.

We are also working on a domain registrar plugin, that will allow for simpler set up of domain TLDs and pricing, and consolidate many of the features of domain registrars to make module development for registrars simpler going forward. It's difficult to take time away from highly requested features, to build a registrar module a few people want, that we'll have to rewrite later anyway to make it work well with the domain registrar plugin.

So, we hear ya. We know we need more integrations like NameSilo, and we aren't saying no. We just have to prioritize, and it's a difficult thing when we have so many great feature and extension requests. The community has had a large impact in the direction of development since our initial alpha releases, and we consider that dialogue of vital importance.

Would you consider opending up a plugin/module marketplace like Opencart?   I think that business model would really help.  Let othe developers pitch in and sell their software, and you take a small percentage from each sale.   Blesta get's extendability while you focus on the core product.

Opencart has a neat way of adding some of the marketplace plugins to the core product. I'm not sure how they swing that in the agreements with the developers. It's something to consider at least.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Blesta community. I am with NameSilo. We would be more than happy to look into creating a Blesta module. We would need a version of the software for testing as well as documentation and/or existing registrar module that we could start from. If anybody can help us acquire these things, please let us know at support@namesilo.com. Thanks

Hello Blesta community. I am with NameSilo. We would be more than happy to look into creating a Blesta module. We would need a version of the software for testing as well as documentation and/or existing registrar module that we could start from. If anybody can help us acquire these things, please let us know at support@namesilo.com. Thanks

You can download Blesta from the website and use the free 30 day trial? Or if you can email sales@blesta Paul will help you get a trial key :). All the registrar modules are open so you can see them in the /components/modules/ folder.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Definitely needed. NameSilo offers better prices than most of the market, it even includes free privacy protection where most domain registrars charge an extra for this service. Their platform is way faster than NameCheap or eNom and they don't compete with your hosting as they are just a domain registrar. While I don't know how accurate this information is apparently they are the fastest growing registrar at the moment (http://www.registrarowl.com/report_registrar_fastest_growing.php). Hopefully we can get a module done soon! Or even contributed by someone in the community, unfortunately I don't have the time or the knowledge to build one at the moment. I just definitely do not want to use WHMCS/NameCheap or eNom, their quality is lacking greatly.

Hello,

I've started this project here:

https://github.com/NETLINK/Blesta-Namesilo

Still a fair bit of work left, and any help would be appreciated.

For testing purposes, an already registered domain in a Namesilo account can be added through the admin backend and then managed from the client section. Nameserver and Whois management, registrar lock and EPP functions should be working, however, improvements are still possible.