Ability To Change /admin Url

Sam

Hello Blesta team,

Not sure how well-received this may be, but figured it was worth a shot. Would it be possible for your team to add the ability to change the /admin URL? Lots of clients are more savvy than one may think, and I think that from a professional and security standpoint, web software ought to go to great lengths to hide admin area login pages from the general public.

Hope this makes sense :)

Sam

From a security stand-point, obfuscating the URI to a public-facing interface is inconsequential. There is no gain to be had from security through obscurity.

True, but changing SSH ports to something other than 22 cuts down on brute force attacks. Same could be true of changing the admin URL. You should always assume people know what it is, but it's not a bad idea to change it.

• 6 years later...

Hey All,

So migrating over from a well known billing software due to removing the support and updates packages for owned license holders!

I have gone ahead and installed Blesta in a sub directory under the name client.

But I've noticed when visiting the client area the url shows as https://www.domain.com/client/client/login/ my question is can I manipulate the URL so it shows as https://www.domain.com/client/login/ removing one of the client from the url is it a matter of installing Blesta in the docroot.

Any suggestions are really great full.

Simon

4 hours ago, hostinct said:

Hey All,

So migrating over from a well known billing software due to removing the support and updates packages for owned license holders!

I have gone ahead and installed Blesta in a sub directory under the name client.

But I've noticed when visiting the client area the url shows as https://www.domain.com/client/client/login/ my question is can I manipulate the URL so it shows as https://www.domain.com/client/login/ removing one of the client from the url is it a matter of installing Blesta in the docroot.

Any suggestions are really great full.

Simon

We would recommend using a different subdirectory name, or switching to a subdomain like my.domain.com, billing.domain.com, or domain.com/billing/ that way the client area would be at my.domain.com/client/ or domain.com/billing/client

While you can change the client route, and change the name of the client path, it would be a conflict to load it at the root of the installation.

Also - welcome! :) 

27 minutes ago, Paul said:

We would recommend using a different subdirectory name, or switching to a subdomain like my.domain.com, billing.domain.com, or domain.com/billing/ that way the client area would be at my.domain.com/client/ or domain.com/billing/client

While you can change the client route, and change the name of the client path, it would be a conflict to load it at the root of the installation.

Also - welcome! :) 

Hi Paul,

Thank you for that. With regards to the pages I would like to add would you suggest me adding them ad html pages or buidling these into the theme within the Blesta theme files.

Simon

26 minutes ago, hostinct said:

Hi Paul,

Thank you for that. With regards to the pages I would like to add would you suggest me adding them ad html pages or buidling these into the theme within the Blesta theme files.

Simon

I'm not sure what you mean by adding html pages. If you want to create pages that are part of Blesta, then you may be interested in the 3rd party BlestaCMS plugin. Otherwise, I would recommend keeping your website content pages separate from Blesta. You can create navigation links in Blesta if you want to link to external content from your website under Settings > Look and Feel > Navigation.

2 minutes ago, Paul said:

I'm not sure what you mean by adding html pages. If you want to create pages that are part of Blesta, then you may be interested in the 3rd party BlestaCMS plugin. Otherwise, I would recommend keeping your website content pages separate from Blesta. You can create navigation links in Blesta if you want to link to external content from your website under Settings > Look and Feel > Navigation.

Sorry Paul, What I mean is making the homepage and subpages feel like they are part of the Blesta software and not separate. So when a client visits my site they get the same feeling when they visit the client area.

Just now, hostinct said:

Sorry Paul, What I mean is making the homepage and subpages feel like they are part of the Blesta software and not separate. So when a client visits my site they get the same feeling when they visit the client area.

Oh, make Blesta match? That requires integrating your website theme into Blesta. Most of the time people just edit 1 file, /app/views/client/bootstrap/structure.pdt which contains the header and footer for Blesta. If you have any custom CSS we recommend creating a new overrides.css file and loading it in structure at the end, and putting your styles there. You can get more help on this via people on our Discord, and there are companies that can do this integration for you for pretty cheap.

2 minutes ago, Paul said:

Oh, make Blesta match? That requires integrating your website theme into Blesta. Most of the time people just edit 1 file, /app/views/client/bootstrap/structure.pdt which contains the header and footer for Blesta. If you have any custom CSS we recommend creating a new overrides.css file and loading it in structure at the end, and putting your styles there. You can get more help on this via people on our Discord, and there are companies that can do this integration for you for pretty cheap.

Paul, many thanks for your help also to @Michael for assisting.

• 2 months later...
On 10/4/2014 at 3:57 PM, Michael said:

Sorry I put it on your other thread:

Go to /config/routes.php edit the following: 

/**
 * Admin panel directory name
 */
Configure::set("Route.admin", "admin");
/**
 * Client panel directory name
 */
Configure::set("Route.client", "clients");

It is possible to modify the url of /plugin/support_manager/knowledgebase/  for something shorter ?

10 hours ago, SW Hosting said:

It is possible to modify the url of /plugin/support_manager/knowledgebase/  for something shorter ?

you need to edit  /config/routes.php, that was the easy part.

the hard part is to change all the urls from the template files and plugin files. something that more work and can lead to unexpected behavior.