Add Credit Without Recording Payment

Sam

Question

7 answers to this question

Well, my use case is this. I'm creating an invoice for a $3,000 dollar credit. They are buying $3,000 worth of credit toward future invoices. If a client buys a site for 6,000 i.e., I charge an invoice for 3,000 and the customer pays it. The credit is being given as a result of the purchase, which is not out of 'thin' air.

The problem is, the way I have to do it now, Blesta records the income from the invoice, and then for the credit. I.e. a 3,000 dollar credit purchase becomes $6,000 dollars of income, which is not the case.

If I simply generate a credit without an invoice, how can I get a copy of the PDF receipt? I could just put that in the customer's document portal. This would be a good workaround, provided I can get a receipt for recording payment / adding credit.

If you invoice them for the credit, and then invoice them again when the credit is used you are invoicing the client for $6000 but they are only paying you $3000. Your accountant (or worse, the IRS) might wonder about the discrepancy between billables and revenue.

It is better if they just make payment for the credit, and the credit remains on their account until you invoice it.

You can subscribe to BCC notices on virtual any client email. Edit your staff group under Settings > System > Staff > Groups, and check under "Email BCC Notices". Whichever ones are enabled here you can then subscribe to under "My Info".

how do they initiate payment for a credit? do they need their CC info stored in the system? doesn't that violate PCI compliance?

Any reason you can't just invoice them for the $6,000 job, and tell them to pay half now, half when complete?  Or is it simply that the $6,000 job doesn't exist yet and this is just a prepayment for possible future work?  If that's the case...why accept a payment at all...that's going to open you up to tax liabilities isn't it?

If this is something you've already agreed upon, just invoice them for $6,000 and they can pay half.  That way that payment is recorded and applied to the invoice (to be used as a receipt if needed) and then the rest can be paid upon completion.

For your specific question, you can either have them just send you payment and record it yourself (go to client > Account Actions > Record Payments...from here you can input $3,000 and check the box to send a receipt.  This will add the credit to their account and send a receipt to them).  or you can have them login to their billing area and click on "Make Payment"...this will allow them to make a payment even if there is no existing invoice.  Using whatever payment method's you have activated (doesn't required a stored credit card if you don't want it to).