Cpanel Module (Enhanced Integration)

ModulesBakery

@Alpha.. sure..

When you setup a new cPanel account (hosting) (with Apache - standard config), sometimes the client purchases and domain from us so they can see their website shortly after the account setup in cPanel.

When someone purchases a domain from Godaddy and wants to keep an old site live until the new one is ready to show, they will purchase hosting from us and start development. When this new account gets setup on our server with the old site and domain running on say godaddy, there is no way to FTP or view the development site from our server unless you use an IP address or enable the Apache mod_userdir.

So, what we do is create a development domain for them. We have several domains on our server that belong to us. So, we will use their cpanel account name prefixed to one of our development URL's so they have a URL that works instead of an IP (a temporary development URL).

So, if Joe's Hardware purchased an account, the cpanel account would be something like joeshard .  What we do is create a parked domain via WHM on top of their account and it looks like this - joeshard.webjiveclient.com

Then the client can use joeshard.webjiveclient.com/index.php, etc. to see their WP or Joomla website. 

What's needed (and we have talked to modules garden about this, and they are going to build one for WHMCS) is a module that creates these types of parked domains when an account is created. There needs to be a setting in the products setup (checkbox) so that it can be enabled per product because some services might not require a temporary domain. 

Does this make sense?

Avoiding Apache mod_userdir also keeps users from getting around bandwidth tracking which is why we don't use it.

Or am I over-complicatign this and there is an easier way to give someone a temporary domain without having to create parked domains?

Thank you for your suggestion, I will consider adding such feature.

@webjive , i have well understand your case, so in creation you need to make 2 domain ( 1 is principal, second is subdomain for select domain )

if this is the case , so is not a complicated task to do . i have not see a lof of request for this case , but is semilar to subdomain request .

if you have some knowlegde for coding , i can help you (free) to setup it in your own module (PM me) .

@ninja, i created a WHMCS hook for it using the PHP cPanel API but, thats not the best way to handle that. The cPanel JSON is the better way but, not that good of a coder, more of a good sales guy ;)

@modulesbakery, hopefully I explained it. I can name a lot of hosting companies that do this. They seem to have coded something up internally and don't share. 

Here is how other hosting companies handle it.

http://my.aspirationhosting.com/knowledgebase/1429/Do-you-provide-a-Temporary-URL-.html

Others just use the cPanel temp URL which has a lot of security implications because those bypass bandwidth accounting and you can hide phishing links when accounting is bypassed making them hard to spot.

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions :)

@ninja, i created a WHMCS hook for it using the PHP cPanel API but, thats not the best way to handle that. The cPanel JSON is the better way but, not that good of a coder, more of a good sales guy ;)

@modulesbakery, hopefully I explained it. I can name a lot of hosting companies that do this. They seem to have coded something up internally and don't share. 

Here is how other hosting companies handle it.

http://my.aspirationhosting.com/knowledgebase/1429/Do-you-provide-a-Temporary-URL-.html

Others just use the cPanel temp URL which has a lot of security implications because those bypass bandwidth accounting and you can hide phishing links when accounting is bypassed making them hard to spot.

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions :)

Webjive,

Thank you for your suggestion, I will keep this in mind.

• 4 weeks later...