Solusvm: Change Root Password (Kvm Guest)

shimas

Question

Hi All,

could you please advise if change root password action is working for you in client area? When I try to change it I'm getting following error:

An internal error occurred, or the server did not respond to the request.

In the SolusVM API log there is this message: 

status => errornvserverid => 31nmsg => Not supported for this virtualization type

This is really strange as change root password is working from the SolusVM panel.

11 answers to this question

In the first place I think that you are wrong saying about "KVM does not support password resetting".

With a default KVM setup you are not able to reset a password without booting into single user mode or a live cd (assuming linux OS).  This could be automated via some panel (I don't know for sure) but it isn't a thing I have normally seen.

As I said before, to reset a password you need to shutdown the VM. Than you need to mount the image of that VM and chroot to it. After that you will be able to run passwd command and change a password for the root user.

I think some similar approach SolusVM is using. Though SolusVM API supports root password change:

http://docs.solusvm.com/v2/Default.htm#Developer/Admin-Api/Virtual-Server-Functions/Root-Password.htm%3FTocPath%3DDeveloper%7CAdmin%20API%7CVirtual%20Server%20Functions%7C_____17

As I said before, to reset a password you need to shutdown the VM. Than you need to mount the image of that VM and chroot to it. After that you will be able to run passwd command and change a password for the root user.

Even inside a chroot, executing untrusted binaries as root on the host system is NOT a good idea.

Customer could have installed a trojan horse and named it /bin/passwd ....

Better to start a rescue cd such as sysresccd inside the virtual machine, and run your mount -> chroot -> passwd commands there.

Such actions are usually performed manually, and not automated.

Not sure if they are using that method for resetting passwords though.

Could also be that they added a custom start-up script to all their OS templates that can fetch and execute instructions from some central server.

That is reasonable secure, but will not work if you install your own OS.

Hi All,

could you please advise if change root password action is working for you in client area? When I try to change it I'm getting following error:

An internal error occurred, or the server did not respond to the request.

In the SolusVM API log there is this message: 

status => errornvserverid => 31nmsg => Not supported for this virtualization type

This is really strange as change root password is working from the SolusVM panel.

I think the error says it all. KVM doesn't support root password changes via the API. What 'generation' of KVM templates are you using? See their documentation.