Methods To Convert Whmcs Knowledgebase Articles?

EidolonHost

Question

Hi,

So, I realized I had some WHMCS knowledgebase articles still lying about left unused and thought, "You know... I should convert them to Blesta-compatible KB articles..." because as you know, rewriting everything in Blesta is a pain and extra work.

Is there a way to convert JUST the KB articles? Or do I need to throw up a WHMCS instance and let the WHMCS importer do its thing?

7 answers to this question

I don't believe the importer will convert knowledge base articles into Blesta. And I don't think there is an automated way to do it otherwise.

Can the articles not be moved manually (assuming you have the WHMCS install to copy from)? I imagine manual edits to each article would be necessary anyway.

I don't believe the importer will convert knowledge base articles into Blesta. And I don't think there is an automated way to do it otherwise.

Can the articles not be moved manually (assuming you have the WHMCS install to copy from)? I imagine manual edits to each article would be necessary anyway.

Probably? I posted here to see if anyone else had tried to convert WHMCS KB articles to Blesta articles. But you're right, manual edits would be necessary anyway. I do have an install of WHMCS... it's a legacy one but it's been kept updated to ensure we'd be able to grab whatever we needed from it just in case.

The main reason why I posted is mostly so to save myself the effort of having to basically remake the categories, the article names and pasting the article content and making sure the styling looks good.

Well, mostly the look good part you'd have to manually make sure anyway, but I figure... this is something that should be automatically converted too, in the importer or at least some script that could do that for you, you know?

Maybe we should request that one be made, separate from the WHMCS importer.

We should update the importer to pull in KB articles also, if possible. Do you know how they store their articles? Is it basic HTML?

That won't help your immediate need, but it should be part of the import process.

Articles are stored in SQL... just like everything else in WHMCS. I'd need to fire up the WHMCS instance to look specifically, but I'm pretty sure it's in the SQL somewhere because there are those who sell pre-made KB articles for WHMCS... and what they have you do is inject those articles right into the database for WHMCS and presto, you have premade articles!

So... yeah. It's basically HTML and such stored in the database.

Articles are stored in SQL... just like everything else in WHMCS. I'd need to fire up the WHMCS instance to look specifically, but I'm pretty sure it's in the SQL somewhere because there are those who sell pre-made KB articles for WHMCS... and what they have you do is inject those articles right into the database for WHMCS and presto, you have premade articles!

So... yeah. It's basically HTML and such stored in the database.

Do you have the structure of the database? If so can you post that here.

Do you have the structure of the database? If so can you post that here.

Er... no, not yet. I'm having trouble accessing my legacy server. If anyone else has a WHMCS install they can check for us, that'd probably help... although I'd suggest making this request over in the WHMCS importer thread instead of here?

I realize this is an old post, but in case you can still use it to add to the importer, the database structure for the knowledgebase in v. 6.x of WHMCS is:

--
-- Table structure for table `tblknowledgebase`
--

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `tblknowledgebase` (
  `id` int(10) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
  `title` text NOT NULL,
  `article` text NOT NULL,
  `views` int(10) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
  `useful` int(10) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
  `votes` int(10) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
  `private` text NOT NULL,
  `order` int(3) NOT NULL,