Create And Maintain An Official Git Repo

jwogrady

It would really make updates a lot easier if you guys made the current release available via either Bitbucket or Github.   This way users will simply need to to do a git update to upgrade to the latest version, and I could easily see the change history in my local code.... and roll back if I need too.

Right now I 

-  make sure everything is pushed to my private report.

-  copy over the update files.

-  test the application

-  update my private source.

that's easy enough I guess, but it would be even easier if I can fork off an repository....  Then i simply pull down changes to the production server instead of having to copy files over...

The other benefit is the community could make pull requests.... :-)

We are switching from SVN to Git soon, though it's unlikely at least for now, that there will be public access. We have a build process, and part of that process is to pull in externals. All extensions have their own version numbers and belong to their own repositories. So, even if we did allow public access, there's more you'd need to do in order to have everything that's in a build. We'll be announcing more details about this and more as we get closer to a 4.0 release.

I'ld like very much to see Blesta on GitHub and i'ld like also to use GitHub for issues/ submission and use this forum only for discussion: this will a very good news.

I think that using a forum for submit a bug or enhancement isn't the best because GitHub, with its friendly an semplicity also if more structured and categorized, do better this job.

I'ld like very much to see Blesta on GitHub and i'ld like also to use GitHub for issues/ submission and use this forum only for discussion: this will a very good news.

I think that using a forum for submit a bug or enhancement isn't the best because GitHub, with its friendly an semplicity also if more structured and categorized, do better this job.

We are switching to Git, but will not be using Github. We are maintaining our own Git repository that integrates with Jira.

We use Jira, it wouldn't make sense to use two different issue trackers.

I know, but i think that you don't understand me. Try with an example.

Now, if we (Blesta customers) want submit a bug, we can do it in account.blesta.com (but usually you reply and suggest to go to the forum) or we go directly to the forum. Then, in forum discussion, we get notice if you open a related issue in your Jira.

But the forum isn't the best (for us, users) to track, monitor, collaborate about an issue. So i'm thinking that can be useful use a simply and more efficient system as GitHub: obviously not as your issue management, but only to replace this forum on that job.

Some project/product, commercial and not, has a forum or a Google group for discussions, and GitHub or a dedicated system to submit issues (bugs and enhancements).

It'all.

Thanks

I know, but i think that you don't understand me. Try with an example.

Now, if we (Blesta customers) want submit a bug, we can do it in account.blesta.com (but usually you reply and suggest to go to the forum) or we go directly to the forum. Then, in forum discussion, we get notice if you open a related issue in your Jira.

But the forum isn't the best (for us, users) to track, monitor, collaborate about an issue. So i'm thinking that can be useful use a simply and more efficient system as GitHub: obviously not as your issue management, but only to replace this forum on that job.

Some project/product, commercial and not, has a forum or a Google group for discussions, and GitHub or a dedicated system to submit issues (bugs and enhancements).

It'all.

Thanks

I understand what you mean, and ideally it would be great if we could allow people to register in Jira with access to comment on tasks. However, their licensing is restrictive in terms of the number of users we are allowed to create.

So, currently we have the next best thing. Discussion on the forums, and you have public read access to Jira to monitor progress.

If source was maintained on Bitbucket or Github you would get a lot of valuable feedback from the community.

I'm sure there are issues related to your development stack that makes this easier said than done; especially if you are using private development source files to generate the production source files we see.

That all said, the more people contributing feedback and developing add-ons the better. I would like to see Blesta optimize around that goal over anything else.

+1 It would be great to have access to a git repository for the purpose of pulling in updates, and being able to send pull requests upstream would also be pretty nifty.

As a suggestion to the OP, the way we do it is we maintain two branches - master, which tracks the official codebase, and a branch with our production changes. When there's an update, we drop the update on to the master branch and then merge that in to our production branch. 

We are switching from SVN to Git soon, though it's unlikely at least for now, that there will be public access. We have a build process, and part of that process is to pull in externals. All extensions have their own version numbers and belong to their own repositories. So, even if we did allow public access, there's more you'd need to do in order to have everything that's in a build. 

If these are Git repositories, Git actually makes this fairly easy with the submodule feature. (Even if you don't publish a repo, this feature may be useful to you internally.)

PS I don't have any experience with JIRA outside of tracking issues as a Blesta customer, so there may be benefits I'm not aware of, but if the only real stumbling block for using JIRA rather than GitHub issues as you migrate to Git from SVN is the concern of loss of tickets & corresponding history, this tool might be worth looking at to ease migration. https://github.com/brianhayes/jira-to-github-issues 

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to ask the same  :D Happy to know you are working on this  :blesta:

We are switching from SVN to Git soon, though it's unlikely at least for now, that there will be public access. We have a build process, and part of that process is to pull in externals. All extensions have their own version numbers and belong to their own repositories. So, even if we did allow public access, there's more you'd need to do in order to have everything that's in a build. We'll be announcing more details about this and more as we get closer to a 4.0 release.