Is Blesta An Option For Dedicated?

Razva

Question

Hey folks,

Long-time WHMCS & HostBill user here. Long story short, WHMCS told everybody that it doesn't plan to support dedicated servers, even in their new version, and HostBill is a general expensive mess. So here are my 2 cent questions:

1. Can Blesta offer any support for field logic? Example: if customer selects 2 drives, only 2 drives & specific RAID configs will appear.

Here's an example of what happens when you select 2 drives:

x6vRvhY.png

And here's what happens when you select 3 drives:

r4848NY.png

2. Does Blesta support Proxmox, or is there any *stable* commercial/free add-on that offers such a feature?

3. Does Blesta have multilanguage support? In HostBill you can generate your own language strings, like {$lang.customline001}, edit their value in each language, than use it anywhere. Here's an example.

You generate the string:

jRqsuoH.png

You translate the string:

XRZ4TNg.png

The system shows the result, in the selected language (even in the admin section):

L632QX3.png

These are my biggest concerns. I really appreciate your answer. Thanks!

Hi Razva,

Thanks for stopping by, I recall seeing that thread. To answer your questions -

1. Blesta does not currently support config option logic, however I do see us implementing this in a future release. We fully plan to provide better support for dedicated servers.

2. We do include a Proxmox module with Blesta, and a 3rd party developer has released a modification of it here - http://www.blesta.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4037-module-proxmox-reloaded-beta-release/. I don't believe our version includes support for configurable options, and it has noot been updated since we introduced config options in Blesta.

3. Blesta does have multi-lingual support, and in many areas where you define the language you can enter a custom language definition. One example is Contact Types which you can define in the interface. See http://docs.blesta.com/display/user/Company+%3E+General#Company>General-CreatinganewContactType There may be other areas that could benefit from this.

Hi Paul,

Sorry for this late reply!

1. Blesta does not currently support config option logic, however I do see us implementing this in a future release. We fully plan to provide better support for dedicated servers.

When do you think this feature will be available? I would like to start the business in max one month so I have to choose the right billing system. Changing it after the launch would be kinda difficult. The ordering system of any dedicated servers provider is basically depending on this option, as there's no other way of making this work.

2. We do include a Proxmox module with Blesta, and a 3rd party developer has released a modification of it here - http://www.blesta.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4037-module-proxmox-reloaded-beta-release/. I don't believe our version includes support for configurable options, and it has noot been updated since we introduced config options in Blesta.

Any idea when you'll update the current "official" module? It's kinda...mmm...barebones at the moment, and I really like the idea of having your support.

3. Blesta does have multi-lingual support, and in many areas where you define the language you can enter a custom language definition. One example is Contact Types which you can define in the interface. See http://docs.blesta.com/display/user/Company+>+General#Company>General-CreatinganewContactType There may be other areas that could benefit from this.

Great! Do you also provide some GeoIP tools? For example right now - with HostBill - you import the GeoIP DB then select a language + currency for each country. This is a *very* useful feature as you can imagine, combined with the option to translate everything. So you can basically have just one site but totally customized for the user that accesses it (language, currency, product description, order form etc). So as much as I hate HostBill, they did this thing right. Can Blesta do something similar?

Thank you very much for your time and dedication!

The ordering system of any dedicated servers provider is basically depending on this option, as there's no other way of making this work.

Actually, many bigger providers nowadays do not offer that many options anymore.

But limit it to the combinations that make the most sense like:

2x 2 TB SATA 7,200 RAID 1

2x 240 GB SSD RAID 1

4x 2 TB SATA 7,200 RAID 10

Personally I really wouldn't offer unreliable configurations like RAID 0 as a standard option.

Same with things like partition layouts. The default is fine for 99% of the customers. The others can contact support and explain their wishes there, not on the order form.

Field logic would still be useful for other things though. E.g. selling software licenses available for the OS selected.

There was a Dedicated Server module for WHMCS... I think I even have a copy of that script, but it's an extremely old copy.

Hmm... maybe I should convert it to Blesta?

I'll look into it and see if there's anything that can be done. Honestly, the closest thing that comes to managing dedicated servers would be NOC-PS's NOC-PS module, but that's mainly for OS reloads and stuff.

Ironically, I have a project right now with ModulesBakery that's currently on hold for developing such a module. It ties into Ubersmith... well, the providers that utilize Ubersmith such as QuadraNet have enabled Ubersmith's APIs.

If you'd like to have access to such a module that makes use of the Ubersmith API for dedicated servers... I'd be happy to get it open-sourced instead of copyrighted and locked to our company only.

Edit: Looks like the module for dedicated servers was abandoned. And a new version of the module has been released for WHMCS.

I'll take a look-see at it and see if I can help with getting it converted over.

There was a Dedicated Server module for WHMCS... I think I even have a copy of that script, but it's an extremely old copy.

Hmm... maybe I should convert it to Blesta?

Can you describe a little bit more about this module? Perhaps provide a link to the WHMCS one you are referring to?

I'll look into it and see if there's anything that can be done. Honestly, the closest thing that comes to managing dedicated servers would be NOC-PS's NOC-PS module, but that's mainly for OS reloads and stuff.

Ironically, I have a project right now with ModulesBakery that's currently on hold for developing such a module. It ties into Ubersmith... well, the providers that utilize Ubersmith such as QuadraNet have enabled Ubersmith's APIs.

If you'd like to have access to such a module that makes use of the Ubersmith API for dedicated servers... I'd be happy to get it open-sourced instead of copyrighted and locked to our company only.

We evaluated Ubersmith and HostBillApp as a replacement for our current setup (custom orders forms that backend via SQL to WHMCS v3 with Kayako and Cerberus .. ugh what a mess) as a replacement and ended up going with Blesta (slowly making transition). While Ubersmith is very with modularizing the order forms, the price point did not make sense to us (the cost would be the same to hire a developer vs Ubersmith). HostBillApp also suffered from this, plus the lack of support (unless you call pay per ticket ... support).

If you could describe a little bit more as to what being worked in, I think it would interests a lot of folks here. Making the plugin/module free to use and opening sourcing it would be great for the long term (maintainability, feature inclusion, etc.)

Edit: Looks like the module for dedicated servers was abandoned. And a new version of the module has been released for WHMCS.

I'll take a look-see at it and see if I can help with getting it converted over.

Keep us up to date,

-Adam

Ubersmith's API for dedicated servers?

Is that something new?

They did not offer anything more advanced than power on/power off, and switch port data traffic graphing in the past.

There is now a task for config option conditionals (field logic), CORE-1708. No ETA at the moment

Wow, great news!!! I know that you've said "no ETA", but can you please at least tell me if it'll be implemented in the next 1-2 months? I'm asking that because at this moment we're on the edge of paying a developer for implementing HostBill and I rather spare this money (or pay to Blesta). I really appreciate your effort!

Wow, great news!!! I know that you've said "no ETA", but can you please at least tell me if it'll be implemented in the next 1-2 months? I'm asking that because at this moment we're on the edge of paying a developer for implementing HostBill and I rather spare this money (or pay to Blesta). I really appreciate your effort!

In the next couple months is unlikely. We need to architect out the feature assign story points, and then schedule it. There may be the possibility for sponsored development, which could speed things along but ultimately this is a fairly involved task.

In the next couple months is unlikely. We need to architect out the feature assign story points, and then schedule it. There may be the possibility for sponsored development, which could speed things along but ultimately this is a fairly involved task.

Ok, I'll PM you regarding this option.

Do you have any tool in order to import data from HostBill? We cannot postpone the launch of our service for so long, so I suppose we'll go with HB untill Blesta gets this new feature.

Can you describe a little bit more about this module? Perhaps provide a link to the WHMCS one you are referring to?

We evaluated Ubersmith and HostBillApp as a replacement for our current setup (custom orders forms that backend via SQL to WHMCS v3 with Kayako and Cerberus .. ugh what a mess) as a replacement and ended up going with Blesta (slowly making transition). While Ubersmith is very with modularizing the order forms, the price point did not make sense to us (the cost would be the same to hire a developer vs Ubersmith). HostBillApp also suffered from this, plus the lack of support (unless you call pay per ticket ... support).

If you could describe a little bit more as to what being worked in, I think it would interests a lot of folks here. Making the plugin/module free to use and opening sourcing it would be great for the long term (maintainability, feature inclusion, etc.)

Keep us up to date,

-Adam

Sure. It's here. The WHMCS module did work very nicely. At least, before bullfrog on the WHMCS forums abandoned it. Stuntnmore took over development of the module and has gotten it updated to work with the latest WHMCS.

Sure. The Ubersmith module that I've got with ModulesBakery is capable of the following:

* Create Dedicated Server

* Assign Dedicated Server to customer

* Utilize Ubersmith OS Reload capability, if available [Not available for QuadraNET Ubersmith implementation currently, still being worked out from what they stated to me.]

* Allow IP delegation/editing via Ubersmith API.

* Allow nullrouting/enabling of IPs via Ubersmith

... And some stuff. I can't view the ModulesBakery dashboard at the moment because apparently my account doesn't exist there now...

Ubersmith's API for dedicated servers?

Is that something new?

They did not offer anything more advanced than power on/power off, and switch port data traffic graphing in the past.

Yeah. They expanded it. When? Not sure, but v2 of the API does all of this and more, iirc. Whoops, looks like version 3 is out now...

Also, had a look at the WHMCS module and basically noped when I realized that it was using direct SQL queries.

I'll make a thread of the DSM module I'm working on... it actually works to some degree but some major work is still needed to make it work fully as requested here.

Yeah. They expanded it. When? Not sure, but v2 of the API does all of this and more, iirc. Whoops, looks like version 3 is out now...

Wonder if that isn't something Quadranet added on top, rather than normal Ubersmith functionality.

Things like (null) routing do not exist in their public API documentation

And IP assignment used to cover the administrative part only (marking them in-use in the database), rather than the technical part (configuring router, so that packets end up at the right server).

Also, had a look at the WHMCS module and basically noped when I realized that it was using direct SQL queries.

WHMCS did not bother to document their SQL helper functions until recently, and PDO was not guaranteed to be available on the average WHMCS installation either in the past.
So practically all older third-party modules call mysql_query directly.

Wonder if that isn't something Quadranet added on top, rather than normal Ubersmith functionality.

Things like (null) routing do not exist in their public API documentation

And IP assignment used to cover the administrative part only (marking them in-use in the database), rather than the technical part (configuring router, so that packets end up at the right server).

Hmm... that could very well be the case. I know you can extend Ubersmith API functionality to a degree. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what they did. We actually did talk with Ubersmith about having a development copy of Ubersmith installed so we could work on the Ubersmith API module for general use.

But I think we'll just have ModulesBakery set the IP functions to be optional and not required from the admin side. Because clearly that's going to take some serious work to get the IP functions to work for anything other than Ubersmith managing the IP functions. That way people who want to use the Ubersmith/Blesta module, can do so without having to go with QuadraNET like we did for our colocation and servers. I didn't realize this was not part of Ubersmith's API documentation as I didn't look entirely too closely at the documentation... I know, I know, bad of me to do that.

WHMCS did not bother to document their SQL helper functions until recently, and PDO was not guaranteed to be available on the average WHMCS installation either in the past.

So practically all older third-party modules call mysql_query directly.

Well... that explains a lot. That makes obvious sense. Still, a bit of an ouch, either way.

Hmm... that could very well be the case. I know you can extend Ubersmith API functionality to a degree.

Don't think they extended it, but added something on top.

As in: you <-> Quadranet API <-> Ubersmith API / other backend systems for the action requested.

I have my doubts your module is talking to Ubersmith directly at all.

We actually did talk with Ubersmith about having a development copy of Ubersmith installed so we could work on the Ubersmith API module for general use.

Did you make it clear to them that you want to write a module that CUSTOMERS from providers that run Ubersmith can use to RESELL dedicated servers?

As opposed to a module for providers running Ubersmith themselves?

Don't think they extended it, but added something on top.

As in: you <-> Quadranet API <-> Ubersmith API / other backend systems for the action requested.

I have my doubts your module is talking to Ubersmith directly at all.

You check out QuadraNET's API? It's here. They stated themselves directly to me via ticket that they use Ubersmith's APIs. The IP functions... they're probably what you stated.

Did you make it clear to them that you want to write a module that CUSTOMERS from providers that run Ubersmith can use?

As opposed to a module for providers running Ubersmith themselves?

Yes. They stated they were happy to install and provide the stuff at no charge(I may be misremembering from the e-mail w/ Ubersmith) as long as this was the case.

In the end though, I decided to not maintain a Ubersmith install for development purposes.

You check out QuadraNET's API? It's here

Looks like something they made themselves.

They stated themselves directly to me via ticket that they use Ubersmith's APIs. 

That they call the Ubersmith API internally to generate the bandwidth graph you asked for, and pass it thru, does not mean you are using the Ubersmith API.

Looks like something they made themselves.

That they call the Ubersmith API internally to generate the bandwidth graph you asked for, and pass it thru, does not mean you are using the Ubersmith API.

Ah, gotcha. Alrighty, I wasn't entirely sure. I was going by what they stated. Again... I did say I didn't look too closely at the code at the time.

In that case... I suppose I best talk to Ubersmith to ensure we do have a Ubersmith module... this will be fun.

I'm so happy that I started this thread! :)

What I really think we need for the moment is at least a basic module, like the one Keiro is building. Sure, having more complex stuff like auto OS install, IPAM, graphs, reboots etc is nice and useful, but - for startups like me - at least a basic DB is more than enough.

I don't know what's the official position of Blesta right now. Do they usually prefer to keep things separated in modules/addons, or assimilate stuff in the Blesta core?

I'm so happy that I started this thread! :)

What I really think we need for the moment is at least a basic module, like the one Keiro is building. Sure, having more complex stuff like auto OS install, IPAM, graphs, reboots etc is nice and useful, but - for startups like me - at least a basic DB is more than enough.

I don't know what's the official position of Blesta right now. Do they usually prefer to keep things separated in modules/addons, or assimilate stuff in the Blesta core?

I think what I'll do later is see if it's possible to work with other module devs to call other modules for OS reloads.

Maybe NOC-PS's module? And if I recall correctly, but I may be misremembering, Blesta does have an IPAM module of a sort... but I don't use it.

I think what I'll do later is see if it's possible to work with other module devs to call other modules for OS reloads.

Maybe NOC-PS's module? And if I recall correctly, but I may be misremembering, Blesta does have an IPAM module of a sort... but I don't use it.

Do note that our NOC-PS software is only suitable for providers that have their own servers and network, and not for resellers that resell servers from another provider.

Do note that our NOC-PS software is only suitable for providers that have their own servers and network, and not for resellers that resell servers from another provider.

I figured. Or well, those that have their own servers and network within a provider's space, such as colo customers.

Still, I think something like this would be great. I wouldn't dare try implementing it, myself though... I'm just not familiar enough with everything. The only reason I even made the fast progress I did was because I was experimenting with things and basically figured out what worked and what didn't.

I've yet to actually add code to it... well, other than the Notes code that I cribbed from the InterWorx module.

Wait a minute, don't you have reseller functionality?

My exact point. Most startups collocate or rent servers from DCs or other bigger providers. So I don't think NOC-PS is a top-priority, but at least basic functions. Don't get me wrong, having something advanced would be really nice, but at least let's have something basic. :)