Automatic Debit - Automatically?

sunrisepro

Question

16 answers to this question

I've been contemplating this for a while. When someone signs up, it would be ideal that if they choose to save their card details it sets that card up for auto debit.

However, how should this work exactly?

My thoughts: If a client saves a credit card, and they do not have any other cards that are set for auto debit, then mark the new card for auto debit. This would happen if the card was added via the order form, or directly in the client area.

Any issues with this? The only thing I can think of, is that if they are adding a new card and want to use it for auto debit, they would have to select it if they already had a different card set for auto debit. But, I don't think we should change that automatically because they may want to keep the old card for auto debit and use the new one as a sort of backup or something.

It might cause issues, like I have a card on Blesta but I use PayPal as my main payment so if I paid with a card it would automatically debit every month from the card and not allow me to use the PayPal?

I updated the task to recommend that this occur only when making a payment and checking to save the card details.

But, essentially yes.. if you didn't have a card set for auto debit, and you paid and saved the card, then it would be set for auto debit. You could go in and change it afterwards.

The issue I believe we're trying to solve is someone signing up for service, paying with a credit card, saving the card details, and then having to manually pay when the service renews. If it's a recurring service, and you pay with a credit card, most customers would think that you'll continue to use that card for recurring payments.

I updated the task to recommend that this occur only when making a payment and checking to save the card details.

But, essentially yes.. if you didn't have a card set for auto debit, and you paid and saved the card, then it would be set for auto debit. You could go in and change it afterwards.

The issue I believe we're trying to solve is someone signing up for service, paying with a credit card, saving the card details, and then having to manually pay when the service renews. If it's a recurring service, and you pay with a credit card, most customers would think that you'll continue to use that card for recurring payments.

Maybe after payment made a page asking the client:

Would you like us to select this card for autodebit? This means every month we will try to make a payment with this card.

Yes | No 

If no nothing happens. If yes it makes it the active card.

Maybe after payment made a page asking the client:

Would you like us to select this card for autodebit? This means every month we will try to make a payment with this card.

Yes | No 

If no nothing happens. If yes it makes it the active card.

Why annoy them with another page?  A checkbox is far superior.