Enom Module - What Is Missing?

electric

Question

Hello,

I've heard mixed messages about the eNom module for Blesta.  Is it "feature complete"?

In other words... I've heard it is missing a few critical features, and is not nearly as complete as the eNom module for WHMCS.

We are looking to switch from ABWS (which is fantastic software, but unfortunately seems to be no longer actively developed) to Blesta or WHMCS.  I prefer Blesta, but ultimately... we need to provide our customers with all the features and functionality we currently have.  This means, full and total domain name management within their billing/customer account area.

- Domain registration (including working correctly with .ca)

- Domain renewals (including auto-renewal ability)

- Domain transfers (for all TLDs, including for .ca)

- Registration/management of custom nameservers

- Management of domain (change nameservers, contact info, etc)

- DNS management (if using default eNom DNS, then management of email/URL forwarding, etc..)

- Management of IDProtect feature (including integration with cart system for initial sale at time of registration)

- eNom SSL certificates. (All of them.)

- Support for all new TLDs.

Does the Blesta eNom module support all these features?  If not, what features, exactly are missing and will they be added soon?  (In other words, if these features are missing.. is it temporary? And if so, what is the expected date of arrival for them?)

Thanks.

15 answers to this question

Yes, it's a Country code included in the module by default.

- Domain renewals (including auto-renewal ability)

I believe you need to edit the module at the moment to add renewals there's a thread on the forum.

- Domain transfers (for all TLDs, including for .ca)

Should work out of the box.

- Registration/management of custom nameservers

I believe you can set custom nameservers but not child nameservers.

- Management of domain (change nameservers, contact info, etc)

Yep you can on the module.

- DNS management (if using default eNom DNS, then management of email/URL forwarding, etc..)

Not that I'm aware of.

- Management of IDProtect feature (including integration with cart system for initial sale at time of registration)

I believe that's coming soon but you can do it manually. I could be wrong never used Enom as they wouldn't give me API access.

- eNom SSL certificates. (All of them.)

Coming soon it's already started but it's just a comment at the moment.

#
			# TODO: Handle SSL certs
			#

- Support for all new TLDs.

Not yet, but you can add the ones you want to sell manually: /components/modules/enom/config/enom.php

// All available TLDs
Configure::set("Enom.tlds", array(

Thanks very much.  

It sounds like Blesta isn't quite ready for us yet.  Hopefully they'll get the eNom module up to par soon. 

Once they do, we'll re-visit Blesta as a possible solution for our needs.  (Aside from the eNom module, everything else looks and works great.)

Thanks very much.  

It sounds like Blesta isn't quite ready for us yet.  Hopefully they'll get the eNom module up to par soon. 

Once they do, we'll re-visit Blesta as a possible solution for our needs.  (Aside from the eNom module, everything else looks and works great.)

I dowt anything will be changed in that module for a while, they are going to refactor the domain system which will include a lot of new features and then re-edit the domain modules to support the new plugin. But if you do a feature request with what is stopping you switching you might be able to help, but it's on a priority system, the more people who "Need it" will help push it onto the to-do list.

Domain selling and management is critical to our business.  So it's imperative we have a system that offers full features and functionality.  It's why we have AWBS, which started life as a domain management system, and then had hosting added on.

I've never understood the reason why so many billing software start with hosting, and then add domain management as though it is an afterthought.  It's too bad Blesta took that route.

We'll revisit Blesta periodically and hopefully some day it will include full featured domain management. I suspect it'll be a lot more popular once that happens.

Thanks.

Yes, it's a Country code included in the module by default.

But can the module actually register the domain, like the TS asked, or only check its availability?

Note that .ca is one of those domain extensions that require some extra information to be filled in for registration. And somebody else reported extra information fields didn't work for .co.uk...

But can the module actually register the domain, like the TS asked, or only check its availability?

Note that .ca is one of those domain extensions that require some extra information to be filled in for registration. And somebody else reported extra information fields didn't work for .co.uk...

Enom supports them and even the UK now.

/components/modules/enom/config/enom.php

// .CA
Configure::set("Enom.domain_fields.ca", array(
	'cira_legal_type' => array(
		'label' => Language::_("Enom.domain.CIRALegalType", true),
		'type' => "select",
		'options' => array(
			'CCO' => Language::_("Enom.domain.RegistrantPurpose.cco", true),
			'CCT' => Language::_("Enom.domain.RegistrantPurpose.cct", true),
			'RES' => Language::_("Enom.domain.RegistrantPurpose.res", true),
			'GOV' => Language::_("Enom.domain.RegistrantPurpose.gov", true),
			'EDU' => Language::_("Enom.domain.RegistrantPurpose.edu", true),
			'ASS' => Language::_("Enom.domain.RegistrantPurpose.ass", true),
			'HOP' => Language::_("Enom.domain.RegistrantPurpose.hop", true),
			'PRT' => Language::_("Enom.domain.RegistrantPurpose.prt", true),
			'TDM' => Language::_("Enom.domain.RegistrantPurpose.tdm", true),
			'TRD' => Language::_("Enom.domain.RegistrantPurpose.trd", true),
			'PLT' => Language::_("Enom.domain.RegistrantPurpose.plt", true),
			'LAM' => Language::_("Enom.domain.RegistrantPurpose.lam", true),
			'TRS' => Language::_("Enom.domain.RegistrantPurpose.trs", true),
			'ABO' => Language::_("Enom.domain.RegistrantPurpose.abo", true),
			'INB' => Language::_("Enom.domain.RegistrantPurpose.inb", true),
			'LGR' => Language::_("Enom.domain.RegistrantPurpose.lgr", true),
			'OMK' => Language::_("Enom.domain.RegistrantPurpose.omk", true),
			'MAJ' => Language::_("Enom.domain.RegistrantPurpose.maj", true)
		)
	),
	'cira_whois_display' => array(
		'label' => Language::_("Enom.domain.CIRAWhoisDisplay", true),
		'type' => "select",
		'options' => array(
			'FULL' => Language::_("Enom.domain.CIRAWhoisDisplay.full", true),
			'PRIVATE' => Language::_("Enom.domain.CIRAWhoisDisplay.private", true),
		)
	),
	'cira_language' => array(
		'label' => Language::_("Enom.domain.CIRALanguage", true),
		'type' => "select",
		'options' => array(
			'en' => Language::_("Enom.domain.CIRALanguage.en", true),
			'fr' => Language::_("Enom.domain.CIRALanguage.fr", true),
		)
	),
	'cira_agreement_version' => array(
		'type' => "hidden",
		'options' => "2.0"
	),
	'cira_agreement_value' => array(
		'type' => "hidden",
		'options' => "Y"
	)
));

Enom supports them and even the UK now.

Hmm, you are right, there do is some code.

Doesn't always seem to work though.

E.g. if you use "add service" as admin, and do everything well, the boxes to ask for the extra info never appear:

ca_domain.png

Do can provoke them to appear, by making an error in this screen, "forgetting" to select the "term", and pressing "continue":

ca_domain2.png

And .co.uk still does not work even then.

The code only seems to cover name.uk, not name.co.uk

@Electric - this is the sort of software you will like.  (Hello from over there, still plodding on).  

I understand about some of the functionality not being available and I know for your business this functionality will be a deal breaker.  But when it comes... rock solid code, a nice (slightly different) way of working and solid, friendly suppport.

Sure, I understand what you're saying... but hosting requires a domain name.   It's not an option.  You have to have one.  Every single customer also has to purchase/transfer/renew a domain name.

And if they don't do their domains through us.. then they'll do it through godaddy, namecheap or some other popular company that also offers hosting along with domain stuff.

In other words... if you're a hosting provider and you also aren't offering domain names to your customers... you're basically pushing them into the arms of another company who is practically guaranteed to be constantly trying to upsell hosting to your customer.

Why would you do that?

It's a little bit like an oil change place for cars.   Sure, you can create a business that sells ONLY oil change.  Nothing else.  But why?  Not only can you make extra money selling things like transmission oil change, light bulb replacement, engine cleaning, etc... but if you don't.. the potential customer is forced to go somewhere else... and that other place is also going to sell oil changes.  Pretty soon your customer will decide it's simpler/easier to just bring their car to one place instead of two.

I do not view hosting and domain management as two different services.  They are two essential services in the same industry that go together.  We don't just sell "hosting"...  We sell hosting "service".  And that includes domain name stuff, since it's absolutely required for every hosting customer.

I have the same opinion about SSL certificates....   Any "hosting" billing app that doesn't include full featured SSL sales/management is not designed well.  Why would you purposely not sell a service that will force your customer to find the arms of a different lover?

Hosting is the primary product, the domains is an addon (up-sell) product. As you stated with cars, you sell cars you don't sell tax, you don't sell tyres you don't sell petrol, just cars. You can sell them with the car or optional later on but you focus on cars. It's a car garage not a petrol station or a tyre shop.

Hosting is the primary product, the domains is an addon (up-sell) product. As you stated with cars, you sell cars you don't sell tax, you don't sell tyres you don't sell petrol, just cars. You can sell them with the car or optional later on but you focus on cars. It's a car garage not a petrol station or a tyre shop.

BAWAHAHA... FACE THE FACT Blesta's domain management is TOTAL CRAP.. WHMCS and Clientexec do it way better.

http://www.blesta.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4734-sad-state-of-domain-management-and-blesta/#entry35269

BAWAHAHA... FACE THE FACT Blesta's domain management is TOTAL CRAP.. WHMCS and Clientexec do it way better.

http://www.blesta.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4734-sad-state-of-domain-management-and-blesta/#entry35269

I totally support you all on this :blesta:

Heres my answer :P http://www.blesta.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4734-sad-state-of-domain-management-and-blesta/?p=35270