What Is A Universal Module For?

kpmedia

Question

I'm sure it seems like a basic question, but I've not found the answer.

- You can't make a new package with out the "universal module". Why?

- If you add a service for a client, one of the screens allows unchecking "Provision using the __ module". But unchecking it isn't doing anything that I can tell. If I hit BACK in the browser, it's now checked again. I assume this means it will be checked no matter what you do.

I read this: https://docs.blesta.com/display/user/Universal+Module

But I'm still having a hard time understanding why it NEEDED for basic adding of services and invoicing. I see the docs start out by saying "The Universal Module is the module to use when no other module will do." But why does it need one at all?

The email aspect is especially confusing, and doesn't make any sense.

I'd like a clearer explanation, please. :)

7 answers to this question

The Universal Module allows you to make products or services without a module...

The best way to explain it is in my KB Article How can I sell a product without a module?

If you want to pay for a module to be done, you don't need it, if there's a module already done, you don't need it. If you would like a product to send you a email / via the api you can do it on the Universal Module.

I use it for LiteSpeed, Softaculous, CraftSRV, etc licenses because I don't have a module for them yet. I used to use it for Blesta / InterWorx licenses before I had  a module done where I re-made the packages with the new module.

I've had a customer use it for providing the address for their mail office. (They used to sell office space and mail delivery etc).
So a customer ordered and they then got a welcome email with the address, this was manually entered after their order was accepted.

The Universal Module allows you to make products or services without a module...

Seems like an oxymoron to me. :)

You: "Oh, you don't need a module? Okay, great. ... Use this module!"

Me: "WTF?" :lol:

Thanks for the info. It still doesn't make 100% sense, but I just won't worry about it.

I'll mentally file this in the "WTF" file, along with what women are thinking, why people believe 9/11 is a hoax, etc.

Seems like an oxymoron to me. :)

You: "Oh, you don't need a module? Okay, great. ... Use this module!"

Me: "WTF?" :lol:

Thanks for the info. It still doesn't make 100% sense, but I just won't worry about it.

I'll mentally file this in the "WTF" file, along with what women are thinking, why people believe 9/11 is a hoax, etc.

No every package needs a module, if you select none it gives you an error, the universal module is the answer, all you do is make a blank universal module package with no fields and it will just run like normal.

Myself I need to show the client a license key and I need a IP for some things so the top service field is license key. I put the key in when I manually provision it and it shows up as the label.

If you are advanced some people like a email or api with certain things, so they use the advanced boxes below the product / services fields.

PS: I thought 9/11 was a hoax until I saw a documentary where it told you that melting aluminium from the plane would have re-acted to the water from the sprinklers and caused a big bang worse than C4. So the liquid aluminium would have poured down the building with the water causing explosions down the side causing it to fall the way it did.

Why did I think it was a hoax / government? Because they blamed terrorists from the start and it locked like a controlled demolition.

I'm sure it seems like a basic question, but I've not found the answer.

- You can't make a new package with out the "universal module". Why?

You can't create a package without a module (whatever kind, Universal or otherwise).

- If you add a service for a client, one of the screens allows unchecking "Provision using the __ module". But unchecking it isn't doing anything that I can tell. If I hit BACK in the browser, it's now checked again. I assume this means it will be checked no matter what you do.

That checkbox will not be checked if you had unchecked it. Going back in your browser will re-check it because it is checked by default and is probably missing your previous POST data to uncheck it again.

"Provision using the __ module" means that Blesta will attempt to call the module to provision the service. With most modules, this means a remote call will be made to an offsite location to provision the service. For example, if you were using the cPanel module, and you checked that field, Blesta would have communicated with cPanel to create a new cPanel account and to add the domain to it. However, if you do not check that field, then the cPanel API will not be contacted. Instead, the service will only exist locally in your Blesta installation and will not be tied to anything offsite.

The Universal Module does not interface with an API. Instead, it can send notifications (if you set them up on your product). Unchecking the 'provision' field will simply not send the notifications you had setup.

I read this: https://docs.blesta.com/display/user/Universal+Module

But I'm still having a hard time understanding why it NEEDED for basic adding of services and invoicing. I see the docs start out by saying "The Universal Module is the module to use when no other module will do." But why does it need one at all?

In short, the module is your product. The package is your configuration/pricing of the product. And the service is an individual instance of the package. Without a module, you have not defined anything to sell. This would be analogous to creating an invoice with a blank line item.

The email aspect is especially confusing, and doesn't make any sense.

Do you mean the package welcome email? What do you find confusing?

The package welcome email is injected into your Service Creation email template when a service is created, which lets you set specific details about the service for the customer.

9 hours ago, Morningstar said:

Any video or instruction on how to use this ?  I went to documentation but can't work this  I want to add a test  that customers fill for a service I offer

and want to have it emailed to me when ordered. I tried to find a video in youtube but there is no video

You want to add something a user can order and then you get an email? Here are the basic steps:

• Install a module, or use the none module. If using the Universal Module, create  Universal Module Product. If you want to ask the customer for something during checkout, like their domain, then enter a service field for that. You cannot charge extra for service field options
  • Create a Package using the module, and add it to a Package Group
  • Install payment gateways you want to use (Settings > Company > Payment Gateways)
  • Create an Order form, and assign your package groups to it, and select your gateways and currency. Packages > Order Forms
  • Under Billing > Overview, click the cog/gear icon in the Orders widget, here you may subscribe to get order notification emails.