No State/province In Hong Kong

Defoe

Question

There is no such thing as "State/Province" in Hong Kong. When my client choose Hong Kong as "Country" in "Modify Client", the "State/Province" will be blanked out. This is somehow correct.

But the problem is that many domain registrars, including Logicbox require something in "State/Province" field.

Our usual practice is to type HK or N/A in this field to get around the error.

However, Blesta is not allowing me or my clients to type anything custom in this field.

I end up stuck in this "Required parameter missing: customer-id" error screen.

My suggestion would be adding something like

HK

N/A

or the 3 districts of Hong Kong as the following

Hong Kong Island

Kowloon

New Territories

P.S. I know my customers can choose China as country and Xianggang as state. But it's exactly like telling UK customers to choose Italy as country and Britannia as state because UK was once belong to Roman Empire in history and UK should turnover to Italy.

7 answers to this question

There is no such thing as "State/Province" in Hong Kong. When my client choose Hong Kong as "Country" in "Modify Client", the "State/Province" will be blanked out. This is somehow correct.

But the problem is that many domain registrars, including Logicbox require something in "State/Province" field.

Our usual practice is to type HK or N/A in this field to get around the error.

However, Blesta is not allowing me or my clients to type anything custom in this field.

I end up stuck in this "Required parameter missing: customer-id" error screen.

My suggestion would be adding something like

HK

N/A

or the 3 districts of Hong Kong as the following

Hong Kong Island

Kowloon

New Territories

P.S. I know my customers can choose China as country and Xianggang as state. But it's exactly like telling UK customers to choose Italy as country and Britannia as state because UK was once belong to Roman Empire in history and UK should turnover to Italy.I understand your problem but

I understand your problem but your example is not even close to situation with Hong Kong because officialy Hong Kong belongs to PR China today and it is Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China so you'll find it listed at same way almost every where and even it is listed among other countrys is compromise .Now I'm not saying this because I want argue about Hong Kong status..to be honest I don't care aboout it...I say it because you'll have to implement some custom solution because what ever entry you use for country codes/states/provincies you'll have same issue because most of them will not even list country if it officialy is not and belongs to other State

Blesta uses the ISO-3166-1 standard for country codes and ISO-3166-2 for subdivisions. Hong Kong does not define any standard ISO-3166-2 subdivisions, which is why none are listed.

I would suggest using my States & Countries plugin to update the entries to better suit your needs.

why not to correct the database shema for new install ?

is better than every time come one to compliants again a states that already discussed here , at the moment is there only small countries that have changed or difference with the ISO standard , like italy , morocco ... so is better to provide updated info than providing wrong info .

is better than every time come one to compliants again a states that already discussed here , at the moment is there only small countries that have changed or difference with the ISO standard , like italy , morocco ... so is better to provide updated info than providing wrong info .

What do you mean by correct the database shema? How can you fix something which isn't broken, complain to the ISO company who deals with it for your country. They set the ISO standards. It's not wrong information and you can use a free plugin and make it suitable for you if you don't want to deal with the official ISO standard.

The database schema is fine. I think you mean the values stored for states and countries? The problem is that many values are subjective and that there is no perfect world-wide solution of acceptable values. Some countries, states, or provinces may recognize certain values while others do not, and it is not possible to accommodate all possibilities by default. The ISOs are the best values to use by default because they are standardized. We can re-update the states and countries to reflect any changes in the ISO since it was last updated, but for more granular changes I'd still recommend using the plugin.