Knowledge Base Plugin

Bit Bayou

Thanks! I plan on working on the client side this weekend. I hope everyone likes it! It will be released open source, so you will be able to modify it further if you wish. :)

I think it's amazing and when your finished I'm hoping to be able to fully move over, I will need to find a way to fix the logicboxes module on my install as it doesn't want to connect unlike my current software.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We are currently looking at Blesta but can't implement if without this functionality.

May I ask what timescales you are working towards for release?

Kind Regards

Mark

I'm doing this in my free time, but definitely actively developing it. I did take a couple of weeks off though as I prepared and went to Las Vegas. I just got back this past Sunday, so I'll continue developing it later this week.

I hope to have the client side (and a "beta" release) with in a week or two- probably around the same time the 3.0 release is published.

• 1 month later...

In all honesty, I'd rather see a kickstarter for a good KB that is created by the Blesta developers.  For example, anyone who contributes $50 gets the module for free for life.  (I am assuming they would otherwise release it as a paid extra to the core Blesta software.)

My reasoning for wanting the KB to be developed (and maintained) by the Blesta developers is that I expect the KB module to be tightly integrated with the support module.  And since the Blesta devs wrote the support module, it makes sense they would create and integrate a matching KB module.

By "tight integration", I mean things like:

- predictive search in the support module. Potential KB results would be displayed in the support ticket page when customer is typing the subject and support description.  So this way, a possible match could be found in the KB thereby negating the need to submit the support ticket.

- Ability to see and link to KB articles when the admin and staff are replying to support tickets.  About 75% of our support tickets can be easily answered by a KB article.  So being able to quickly see and select articles while responding to a ticket would be immensely helpful.

- Ability to add a new KB article, based on a support response.  For example, admin or staff replies to a ticket and clicks a "add this reply to KB" checkbox.  Then when submitted a new window pops up with the "edit this new KB article" page.  When submitted, the article is added to the KB.  This saves some copying and pasting, and makes adding new KB articles quicker and more natural, since most of them are in response to helpdesk tickets...

Thanks.  :)

In all honesty, I'd rather see a kickstarter for a good KB that is created by the Blesta developers.  For example, anyone who contributes $50 gets the module for free for life.  (I am assuming they would otherwise release it as a paid extra to the core Blesta software.)

My reasoning for wanting the KB to be developed (and maintained) by the Blesta developers is that I expect the KB module to be tightly integrated with the support module.  And since the Blesta devs wrote the support module, it makes sense they would create and integrate a matching KB module.

By "tight integration", I mean things like:

- predictive search in the support module. Potential KB results would be displayed in the support ticket page when customer is typing the subject and support description.  So this way, a possible match could be found in the KB thereby negating the need to submit the support ticket.

- Ability to see and link to KB articles when the admin and staff are replying to support tickets.  About 75% of our support tickets can be easily answered by a KB article.  So being able to quickly see and select articles while responding to a ticket would be immensely helpful.

- Ability to add a new KB article, based on a support response.  For example, admin or staff replies to a ticket and clicks a "add this reply to KB" checkbox.  Then when submitted a new window pops up with the "edit this new KB article" page.  When submitted, the article is added to the KB.  This saves some copying and pasting, and makes adding new KB articles quicker and more natural, since most of them are in response to helpdesk tickets...

Thanks.  :)

There will be an official KB, and depending on when we do it it will either start out simple and receive a subsequent update to add more tight integration, or be released with tight integration to begin with.

There will be an official KB, and depending on when we do it it will either start out simple and receive a subsequent update to add more tight integration, or be released with tight integration to begin with.

Thanks Paul.

Can I ask if you guys (Blesta, the company) are planning to go the hostbill route, and split everything up into individual components that each are sold separately?  I understand the business reasoning behind that kind of plan, and it makes a lot of sense.  I just don't want to be surprised if it happens.

If you are planning to do that sort of thing, then may I politely suggest that you make a special offer similar to your $99 pre-v3-release special?  This way, those of us who are watching and willing to help initial funding of things could pay a bit upfront and then receive a permanent license for the desired module.  So we pay $50 or $100 or whatever now, and then don't have to pay anything else in the future if/when you charge individually for each module you sell.

I hope that makes sense?  I might be way off to lunch on my assumption that you will eventually sell individual modules separately...

Thanks!

Thanks Paul.

Can I ask if you guys (Blesta, the company) are planning to go the hostbill route, and split everything up into individual components that each are sold separately?  I understand the business reasoning behind that kind of plan, and it makes a lot of sense.  I just don't want to be surprised if it happens.

If you are planning to do that sort of thing, then may I politely suggest that you make a special offer similar to your $99 pre-v3-release special?  This way, those of us who are watching and willing to help initial funding of things could pay a bit upfront and then receive a permanent license for the desired module.  So we pay $50 or $100 or whatever now, and then don't have to pay anything else in the future if/when you charge individually for each module you sell.

I hope that makes sense?  I might be way off to lunch on my assumption that you will eventually sell individual modules separately...

Thanks!

No they won't :) the only things Blesta are selling on their own are the License Management and the Project Management. Maybe they will do some more modules on their own but that's because they are large projects to do on their own.

No they won't :) the only things Blesta are selling on their own are the License Management and the Project Management. Maybe they will do some more modules on their own but that's because they are large projects to do on their own.

That's what hostbill said when we purchased a license from them a few years ago.  ;)   Then they (recently) split out all their different features into individual plugins/modules and started charging (a fortune) for them individually.  Even though our license was 2 years old... we were not grand-fathered into the new modules/plugins, and if we want to get latest version of xyz functionality (that was previously included in the core product).. we must purchase the new module by itself.  It's crazy and certainly unethical, but nothing we can do.

I don't want the same thing to happen with Blesta.  If they are going to eventually split out and charge for individual modules, I want to know about it now.  Honestly, I don't think it's a bad business concept or decision, as it allows the company to make more money on their hard work.  But I want some assurance that either existing license holders should be grandfathered, or we can "purchase in" with a one-time price now. 

Thanks.

That's what hostbill said when we purchased a license from them a few years ago.  ;)   Then they (recently) split out all their different features into individual plugins/modules and started charging (a fortune) for them individually.  Even though our license was 2 years old... we were not grand-fathered into the new modules/plugins, and if we want to get latest version of xyz functionality (that was previously included in the core product).. we must purchase the new module by itself.  It's crazy and certainly unethical, but nothing we can do.

I don't want the same thing to happen with Blesta.  If they are going to eventually split out and charge for individual modules, I want to know about it now.  Honestly, I don't think it's a bad business concept or decision, as it allows the company to make more money on their hard work.  But I want some assurance that either existing license holders should be grandfathered, or we can "purchase in" with a one-time price now. 

Thanks.

Paul, Cody and Tyson know what's best for business and want to provide the best billing system they can offer, they won't ever go down that route, I know this because people asked this in the Beta period and Paul said they wouldn't go down the HB route. 

I swear on my life that Blesta won't :) that's how much I trust the guys and their product.

I think it's amazing and when your finished I'm hoping to be able to fully move over, I will need to find a way to fix the logicboxes module on my install as it doesn't want to connect unlike my current software.

Does the LogicBoxes module have official issues or is it a problem specific to your install? I need to begin using the module soon.

Completely demolished the client side this past weekend. I think it'll be a erase, reset, and try again kind of thing from there.

If you can open source the back-end you've implemented so far I can help to put a nice front-end on it. I have no problem contributing if it is free and open source. I'm also very busy but if you've got the back-end completed I should be able to put together a front-end pretty quickly.

Does the LogicBoxes module have official issues or is it a problem specific to your install? I need to begin using the module soon.

If you can open source the back-end you've implemented so far I can help to put a nice front-end on it. I have no problem contributing if it is free and open source. I'm also very busy but if you've got the back-end completed I should be able to put together a front-end pretty quickly.

It's giving a customer-id error.