Question About Paypal Subscriptions And Recurring Payments

serge

Question

not a lot of experience about it, but found strange I had invoice paid from shopper subscription (credit card transaction applied fine on blesta invoice passed to close status), but x days later,  paypal send me email to say the subscription can not be successfull.

What I do not understand is why the like transaction cancellation is not applied on the invoice (to pass it's from , closed status to unpaid status), is there a IPN management missing at blesta paypal plugin, to manage such kind of transaction cancellation events?

11 answers to this question

In order to debug better, we would need to see what the original IPN type was, and where PayPal was sending it.

When you make a payment, PayPal will respond to the callback URL at, e.g., domain.com/blesta/callback/gw/1/paypal_payments_standard/?client_id=12345, with a POST request. The same is expected of other IPNs. If Blesta received an IPN request from PayPal, even if Blesta doesn't take action on it, will still log that it was received. If it doesn't appear in the logs, then Blesta didn't receive it, so it may not have been sent to the correct URL.

If Blesta receives a payment_status from PayPal that is not "approved" for a txn_id that already exists in Blesta, then the payments on the transaction would be unapplied.

not a lot of experience about it, but found strange I had invoice paid from shopper subscription (credit card transaction applied fine on blesta invoice passed to close status), but x days later,  paypal send me email to say the subscription can not be successfull.

What I do not understand is why the like transaction cancellation is not applied on the invoice (to pass it's from , closed status to unpaid status), is there a IPN management missing at blesta paypal plugin, to manage such kind of transaction cancellation events?

So, the customer made a payment and a transaction was created in Blesta, closing the invoice as paid.

Then,

but x days later,  paypal send me email to say the subscription can not be successfull.

Does this mean the payment was refunded, or that the subscription was canceled? I'm not sure exactly what action occurred here. A subscription cancellation can occur at any time, but previous payments wouldn't be refunded by PayPal.

The gateway doesn't implement all IPN actions. Most are irrelevant as Blesta wouldn't perform any action anyway.

What response did you receive from PayPal, as shown in Blesta's gateway logs?

The email from Paypal is only about failed retry payment after x unsuccessful time (but not the whole subscription being canceled, just the try to transact this given month ended with no success), i can not paste here as it's in French.

I can not find related transactions about such canceled try inBlesta transaction section, and every month this subscription is failing after x paypal re-try.

As Blesta transaction even do not match (the one that make Blesta invoice be paid/closed)...I found hard even from Paypal account to track to get the whole picture.

I'm now thinking there was subscription started where payment try are aborted each month after few unsuccessful Paypay auto re-try.

While customer pay invoice just from buy now (pay once), I will continue to investigate.

The email from Paypal is only about failed retry payment after x unsuccessful time (but not the whole subscription being canceled, just the try to transact this given month ended with no success), i can not paste here as it's in French.

I can not find related transactions about such canceled try inBlesta transaction section, and every month this subscription is failing after x paypal re-try.

As Blesta transaction even do not match (the one that make Blesta invoice be paid/closed)...I found hard even from Paypal account to track to get the whole picture.

I'm now thinking there was subscription started where payment try are aborted each month after few unsuccessful Paypay auto re-try.

While customer pay invoice just from buy now (pay once), I will continue to investigate.

I had that unsuccessful things, PayPal was useless and there's nothing you can do. 

I think the given shopper was using a debit card that is first accepted by paypal but any transaction are invalided later.

I fact I really do not know since, I can not get a whole picture even from paypal account, transaction number (full transaction history/update) are hard to track when it's about subscription.

You should look in pay pal IPN callback history page and see is there and what IPN is sent to blesta.You have option to even resend IPN...as Tyson said there are some IPN  that Blesta will not understand and will not made any actions even if recive it...but just to be sure I would first check is IPN sent.

Thanks, I can not find in paypal account where I can resend IPN (notification), I was opening there the given last monthly aborted transaction that came from the subscription.

I'm also asking my self how blesta could update a paid invoice in case of chargeback (payment canceled after firstly being paid)  since I'm using such kind of invoice label for unpaid invoice "Invoice #PROFORMA-SS4539" and paid invoice are using and other prefix name & other serial at the ending", so I'm also suspecting IPN can not be associated with the "hidden" real internal only blesta invoice number, but I'm uncertain about it?

I finally found in paypal account the place for IPN history the change of late paypal interface confused me at re-finding it.

So if at paypal account, I re-sended notify, but it's make none new transaction to be see at blesta & billing & transactions (at any blesta tab).

But the auto-notify of this transaction few day ago, is there at blesta in the "pending" transaction tab.

So I suppose somethings is wrong at blesta or paypal regarding the management of this kind of transaction status, not certain blesta manage the transaction status given by paypal when the month-try of the subscription is finally aborted by paypal.

Since, at paypal account they do not display or give logs of the transaction status code send through IPN, it's not easy to better track.

I finally found in paypal account the place for IPN history the change of late paypal interface confused me at re-finding it.

So if at paypal account, I re-sended notify, but it's make none new transaction to be see at blesta & billing & transactions (at any blesta tab).

But the auto-notify of this transaction few day ago, is there at blesta in the "pending" transaction tab.

So I suppose somethings is wrong at blesta or paypal regarding the management of this kind of transaction status, not certain blesta manage the transaction status given by paypal when the month-try of the subscription is finally aborted by paypal.

Since, at paypal account they do not display or give logs of the transaction status code send through IPN, it's not easy to better track.

It's PayPal, I suffered with one, had to cancel it and the client had to re-do it.