Domain Manager - We need your feedback on domains

Paul

the domains logic in blesta should only have some tweaks to be fully functional, rather than create a whole system for that, if blesta can tweak the pricing model system to add two new fields (Renew, Transfer) and use them in case of renew or transfer update the whole registrar module to have a unique function names like updating nameservers, updating whois contact, registering child name servers, ect ...  if blesta can begin with this suggestion i think is totally accepted and can be improved by the time, WhmXX has this already with the same mechanism and they are doing well .

Reinventing a new system will lead to a serious problem and test and improvement that will be infinite . I hope we can see something in the near future and before 2019 because personally if no update comming in this subject i would be forced to move to other competitor  .

On 8/23/2016 at 6:58 AM, Paul said:

Are domains services?

This is a question that has resulted in much debate internally. My personal thoughts are that domains are very unique and do not easily fit with services. I am proposing that domains be treated completely separately from services. This means there would be a separate table in the database that stores domains and information unique to domains like: Domain Name, Registrar, Status, Date Registered, Date Expires, Management Features Available, Expiration/Renewal Reminders, Last Sync Date, and whether to Auto Renew or not.

If domains are not services, they will not be listed with services. For the Staff area, I propose a new Domains widget on client profile pages. For the client area, I propose a new primary nav link called Domains. The Domain Manager would be responsible for renewing domains, and invoicing for them and services and domains would not appear on the same invoices, even if they are billed on the same day.

Question: What are your thoughts on domains not being considered services?

What about Registrar Modules?

The Domain Manager would implement its own module system, and existing registrar modules would not be compatible. The new registrar module system would be drop-in similar to the existing, but these would be enabled and configured under Domains > Registrars. New registrar modules would likely be more lightweight than current registrar modules as the plugin would implement the common features across registrars.

What about existing registrar modules?

Existing registrar modules would be incompatible with the Domain Manager plugin. However, services using current domain registrar modules will continue to work as they do now.

Firstly I think Domains are a service, but if you wanted to go the route of making their own section with their own widget etc, would that be most of the 'leg work' done to be able to split off other sections if we wanted.  Say for example we sold Domains, webhosting and extras (IP address, Web Dev etc).  Would having domains in their own section allow further splitting so we could have 'Domains' 'Webhosting' 'Extras' instead of the current 'services' or proposed 'Domains' & 'Services'

41 minutes ago, Blesta Addons said:

the domains logic in blesta should only have some tweaks to be fully functional, rather than create a whole system for that, if blesta can tweak the pricing model system to add two new fields (Renew, Transfer) and use them in case of renew or transfer update the whole registrar module to have a unique function names like updating nameservers, updating whois contact, registering child name servers, ect ...  if blesta can begin with this suggestion i think is totally accepted and can be improved by the time, WhmXX has this already with the same mechanism and they are doing well .

Reinventing a new system will lead to a serious problem and test and improvement that will be infinite . I hope we can see something in the near future and before 2019 because personally if no update comming in this subject i would be forced to move to other competitor  .

"Existing registrar modules would be incompatible with the Domain Manager plugin" The quote from the OP shows that they are planning on a whole new system not just tweaking what is currently offered hence wanting a heads up on the ETA before many hours of work are put into something that could be outdated shortly after completion.

We have waited for so long I personally would much prefer they build the system they have suggested not just tweak the current offering to add renew and transfer.

In my experience, domains are a service, like hosting packages. However, most domains hold a lot short term settings due to promotions, buy/sell/renew/ protection. Leave alone the promotions.

How to make that technical feasible, is a matter, I am not expert enough.

Domains definitely need some kind of sync for pricing, availability, ownership. Being before a WHMCS user, I am quite disappointed, as most of the known common functionality is very limited to non-existing.

It's the weakest part so far and definitely requires  a lot of overhaul to be able to compete. They also demand  a better management section and  a better display of options when purchasing. From customers, I know, that they pay most attention for the name, the hosting package they see as secondary  where errors can be fixed, whilst in names, errors are depending DNS replication, can take days

8 hours ago, Tiny said:

In my experience, domains are a service

13 hours ago, WebhostingNZ.com said:

Firstly I think Domains are a service

all the world are agreed in this subject. Domains are services and should remain as services. how it should displayed and how the order form should treated is another story.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/17/2018 at 4:26 PM, Tiny said:

Whatever, it might be called. At the current state, all related to domains i do in orderbox and changes don't reflect. In my eyes definitely THE module, which needs priority in development, as the current state is worse, than I would sell my to my enemies

if you are a orderbox (logicboxes) plateforme you can use the logicboxes module, our our logicboxes reloaded module that has so many option to do from admin side without leaving blesta, even if dns and domain forwarding options, manual renew ...ect .

locking for a great state of art domain + hosting concepts in blesta, is a frustrated feeling, i know a lot of client switched to blesta but the lock of hosting industry mechanism lead them to back to whmxx  after some weeks of using blesta.

Yep, I am on logic boxes. and therefore I really see the difference between WHMCS and BLESTA. I just wait for the update from Blesta to see, if it is supposed to be happen in within my future life expectation or if I return fully to WHMCS.

TET seems about a good time to switch back. Then orders are on it's lowest and all staff away

• 2 months later...
14 hours ago, ExonHost said:

Any update on this?

The only update I have is to say that we are adding a special feature to the core in 4.6 that will make the domain update possible in a future release. The feature we're adding in 4.6 is necessary to the foundation of the domain update, which can only come after it's completed. The feature is useful by itself also, and we'll release more information about it as we get closer to releasing 4.6.

8 hours ago, Paul said:

The only update I have is to say that we are adding a special feature to the core in 4.6 that will make the domain update possible in a future release. The feature we're adding in 4.6 is necessary to the foundation of the domain update, which can only come after it's completed. The feature is useful by itself also, and we'll release more information about it as we get closer to releasing 4.6.

any ETA for the same?

16 hours ago, Amit Kumar Mishra said:

any ETA for the same?

I don't have any ETA's. I have no reason to believe that 4.6 won't follow our typical release cycle, but I'm not going to make any predictions about the domain update. There will be a beta when we are ready for a beta.

1 hour ago, Paul said:

I don't have any ETA's. I have no reason to believe that 4.6 won't follow our typical release cycle, but I'm not going to make any predictions about the domain update. There will be a beta when we are ready for a beta.

thats okay mate, but many keep complaining about a few missing features in the domain manager

• 2 months later...

I guess that the new feature is " Renewal Price Option - Optionally set a renew price that is different from the new price for services."  Nice!

Don't you have a grosso modo ETA for domain refactoring?  I mean, this year will be ready?  Or, we are talking about 2-3 years (  let's remember that the initial post is from august 2016).

This could be relevant to wait for the feature to land in, or start with existing framework and import later. 

Edited by EuroDomenii
typo

6 hours ago, EuroDomenii said:

I guess that the new feature is " Renewal Price Option - Optionally set a renew price that is different from the new price for services."  Nice!

Don't you have a grosso modo ETA for domain refactoring?  I mean, this year will be ready?  Or, we are talking about 2-3 years (  let's remember that the initial post is from august 2016).

This could be relevant to wait for the feature to land in, or start with existing framework and import later. 

this is because, probably not many of us are reselling domains, or this would be on the priority list

why not @Paul, we get a vote on this and than may be prioritize it a bit?

what say all?

6 hours ago, Amit Kumar Mishra said:

this is because, probably not many of us are reselling domains, or this would be on the priority list

why not @Paul, we get a vote on this and than may be prioritize it a bit?

what say all?

if you search you will find this subject the most wanted and talked. but it seem that the hosting/domain industry is not their priority list .

13 hours ago, EuroDomenii said:

yes, this feature is step forward in the domains logic model.