Domain Manager - We need your feedback on domains

Paul

1 hour ago, kwimberl said:

Is there an update on the ETA for this? I thought it would be 4.1 but it does not appear to be in there. I have waiting on this to pull the trigger on blesta...

Same here .

We need only the multipricing, true hosting order form .

We are working on domain management, but it's a big task and we didn't want it to prevent us from releasing other smaller items. We'll continue pushing out regular updates, and include the domain management system as soon as it's ready. We'll reach out to all of you for testing once we get to that point. :blesta: 

for my point of view, the pricing system need only a simple adjustement, the pricing already has price, setup fee price and  cancel price , if we add another fields called renew price and transfer price we can achieve the multi pricing case, in renew services and the renew price isn't filled then use the default price . This can impact some other areas but it can be achieved, i think this is the simple and the effective way to do. Regarding domain management, really i cant see the need to create a new way to handle domains but rather if we can make a good order form that is enough , the actual modules need some addition to add more tabs to manage forwarding and dns if available with the registrar .

DO not make it complicated for you guys and for us, the simple is the best always.

9 hours ago, activa said:

the pricing already has price, setup fee price and  cancel price , if we add another fields called renew price and transfer price we can achieve the multi pricing case, in renew services and the renew price isn't filled then use the default price .

This is also my suggestion. a vote for it .

Regarding domain management, really i cant see the need to create a new way to handle domains but rather if we can make a good order form that is enough

The most wanted thing is a Solid Hosting order form . that is the real thing that should added as soon as possible

the actual modules need some addition to add more tabs to manage forwarding and dns if available with the registrar .

.The actual module is doing what it should do. some tabs should be added for some registrar . i prefer if the abstract module file need to be improved to ad some extra functions to heritate by the registrar module . and why not add cron function to be used for sync domains without the need to ad extra plugins !

On 7/19/2017 at 5:46 PM, Paul said:

We are working on domain management, but it's a big task and we didn't want it to prevent us from releasing other smaller items. We'll continue pushing out regular updates, and include the domain management system as soon as it's ready. We'll reach out to all of you for testing once we get to that point. :blesta: 

Will it be in the first stable 4.1 release?

Can blesta accelerate this task , is trivial for our company, we are selling less only because the multi pricing not offered. Some times i feel the staff is not working in this task as it was delayed so many months without any progress !!!! With this speed we will se the domains refactor system in v 4.6 :( .

On 07/22/2017 at 3:39 PM, Wouter said:

Will it be in the first stable 4.1 release?

53 minutes ago, activa said:

Can blesta accelerate this task , is trivial for our company, we are selling less only because the multi pricing not offered. Some times i feel the staff is not working in this task as it was delayed so many months without any progress !!!! With this speed we will se the domains refactor system in v 4.6 :( .

They are but some people complained about the lack of releases, so they are doing releases and doing the domain management behind the scenes and will release it on the forum if it's before the next release. You can't rush everything unless you either want it insecure or buggy.

On 22/07/2017 at 1:44 AM, activa said:

the pricing system need only a simple adjustement, the pricing already has price, setup fee price and  cancel price , if we add another fields called renew price and transfer price we can achieve the multi pricing case, in renew services and the renew price isn't filled then use the default price

I have made a look at the priicng tables, and i found your idea is totally can be the fix for the multi pricing system gird , from database

`id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
  `package_id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL,
  `term` smallint(5) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '1',
  `period` enum('day','week','month','year','onetime') COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci NOT NULL DEFAULT 'month',
  `price` decimal(12,4) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0.0000',
  `setup_fee` decimal(12,4) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0.0000',
  `cancel_fee` decimal(12,4) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0.0000',
  `currency` char(3) COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci NOT NULL DEFAULT 'USD',

it can be altered to become something like

`id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
  `package_id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL,
  `term` smallint(5) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '1',
  `period` enum('day','week','month','year','onetime') COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci NOT NULL DEFAULT 'month',
  `price` decimal(12,4) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0.0000',
  `setup_fee` decimal(12,4) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0.0000',
  `cancel_fee` decimal(12,4) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0.0000',
  `renew_price` decimal(12,4) DEFAULT NULL,
  `transfer_price` decimal(12,4) DEFAULT NULL,
  `currency` char(3) COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci NOT NULL DEFAULT 'USD',

this way we can conserve the same package system and module system, it will need only some small adjustement in the service invoicing, we should include the added prices in the fucntion get getPricingInfo() and PackageOptions->getValuePricingById() not sure if others exist , the function getLinesForServices() is is already has services_renew as parameter and we can use it to determinate which pricing we should use, i think the below code line should be converted to a conditional statement to check if is services_renew = true or not :

$line_item_amount = (isset($pricing_info->price) ? $pricing_info->price : $service->price);

to be something like

$line_item_amount = ($services_renew && isset($pricing_info->renew_price) ? 
	$pricing_info->renew_price : 
	isset($pricing_info->price) ? $pricing_info->price : $service->price
);

this is a simple approach to accomplish the pricing schema module .

i think we need to divide the work in steps.

1 - Complete Multi Pricing System (Activation, Renew, Transfer, Setup, Cancel)
2 - Update order plugin to set Transfer price instead of price in domain transfer
3 - Create a Complete Hosting Order Form
4 - Update Registrar Modules to have more tabs management (DNS, Domain forwarding, Email Forwarding)

:blesta:

• 1 month later...

@Paul I don't know if this has been discovered / considered or not:

When a client transfers a domain away, the service remains active in Blesta and should instead be marked for deletion from Blesta. Right now, it's a manual process to check and schedule cancellation and often times falls through the cracks if there are multiple domains being transferred away.

9 hours ago, evolvewh said:

@Paul I don't know if this has been discovered / considered or not:

When a client transfers a domain away, the service remains active in Blesta and should instead be marked for deletion from Blesta. Right now, it's a manual process to check and schedule cancellation and often times falls through the cracks if there are multiple domains being transferred away.

Is confirmed .

1 hour ago, Lampard said:

It was announced on August 22, 2016, and now it is already one year and i see no progress, it was meant to be released in Blesta 4.1. I don't know why these features are not added which are so necessary for hosting companies.

Paul and the guys had two choices:

1. Concentrate on revamping the system to support the new domain management system and then doing the domain management system as-well in one update which would take time and mean the next update would take a while to come.

2. Continue with the updates and improvements and do the domain management stuff side by side so both get done.

People moan about the domain management but people moan about lack of updates more, so the guys went with option 2.

10 minutes ago, BlestaStore said:

1. Concentrate on revamping the system to support the new domain management system and then doing the domain management system as-well in one update which would take time and mean the next update would take a while to come.

2. Continue with the updates and improvements and do the domain management stuff side by side so both get done.

People moan about the domain management but people moan about lack of updates more, so the guys went with option 2.

From my point of view, the option 1 will lead a lot of new users, more income.

In real case, i have described what is missing from the domain management, is need only some tweak and all the others task will be resolved, not needed a full rewrite or revamp.

2 minutes ago, Blesta Addons said:

From my point of view, the option 1 will lead a lot of new users, more income.

In real case, i have described what is missing from the domain management, is need only some tweak and all the others task will be resolved, not needed a full rewrite or revamp.

I believe we all agree on that but if you browse the forums LET, WHT people say a competitor has frequent updates and Blesta has one every 5-6 months approx, so Paul wants to ship more updates out to stop that rubbish about fast updates and also work on the domain manager which would be plug and play as one of the versions prepared for the new domain management (pricing tables).

1 hour ago, BlestaStore said:

This doesn't make sense to be honest, instead of working slowly, Blesta must have hired some new developers. I guess Blesta is a serious company and it is supposed to have many developers. I am not sure why but it seems like Blesta doesn't want to hire more developers, just because they don't want to give them money right? If you talk about the "Well made updates, with no security breaches etc." then don't say that it has to take time. Professional developers do exist, and they only work when you are giving them proper money. So if they had more developers, they would be able to fulfill both the choices at same time. Sorry for being rude, but i feel that one developer can't just run this whole company if they want to compete with competitors. On an index page of Blesta, it is written that it is a perfect solution for hosting companies but forgetting the fact that domain management system should be proper since they both work together perfectly. Focusing on other modules which are not actually compulsory to be used by people, but domain management is something that every hosting company uses.

5 hours ago, Lampard said:

This doesn't make sense to be honest, instead of working slowly, Blesta must have hired some new developers. I guess Blesta is a serious company and it is supposed to have many developers. I am not sure why but it seems like Blesta doesn't want to hire more developers, just because they don't want to give them money right?

Blesta works better when they are all on the same page and training someone to work at their speed and quality doesn't come lightly, you can hire hundreds of developers but if they aren't connecting or working to your high standards and quality then you have to go back and re-do it. And then you become a competitor to Blesta who patches up silly mistakes and fixes for features which have been broken due to lack of QA testing.

If you talk about the "Well made updates, with no security breaches etc." then don't say that it has to take time. Professional developers do exist, and they only work when you are giving them proper money. So if they had more developers, they would be able to fulfill both the choices at same time. Sorry for being rude, but i feel that one developer can't just run this whole company if they want to compete with competitors.

There's 3 developers at Blesta. You can speed up developer hire developers who don't stick to the rules and quality and talk to you etc and then yourself and me would be complaining that the code has gone to shit and buggy as hell. Do you want that? No then there you go. You forget a competitor has loads of staff and their software is buggy as hell and insecure with their own PHP Global function PHP took out because they are that lazy.

On an index page of Blesta, it is written that it is a perfect solution for hosting companies but forgetting the fact that domain management system should be proper since they both work together perfectly.

I know loads of people who use Blesta for selling domains and hosting and it works fine, what they do want though and many others like yourself is a way to set a renewal price and transfer price and more features but they DON'T stop you selling domains. So yes it works for hosting companies, hell I used it for my web hosting business back in the day.

Focusing on other modules which are not actually compulsory to be used by people, but domain management is something that every hosting company uses.

You can't win everything. You do the domain manager people complain about the other stuff like lack of modules / gateways unlike their competitors. You do the modules / gateways then people complain about the domain manager. You can't win so they are doing both.

I want to point out that we (EWH atleast) are looking for more than the ability to set different pricing for registration, transfer and renewals. There are issues mentioned throughout including domains remaining as active services even after a domain has been transferred away, no way to sync renewal dates automatically (that I'm aware of),  no way to add privacy protection through Blesta directly, domains really need to be separated from the other services in the client area and admin area (it's really hard to search / filter when you have a large amount of domains for a single client along with other services) and I'm sure I'm missing some things.

At this point, we'll take what we can get but I do have to agree that this should have been built in to Blesta back in v3.x somewhere. We didn't use Blesta before v3.0 so I'm not sure how domains functioned there but that was long ago.

40 minutes ago, BlestaStore said:

I know loads of people who use Blesta for selling domains and hosting and it works fine, what they do want though and many others like yourself is a way to set a renewal price and transfer price and more features but they DON'T stop you selling domains. So yes it works for hosting companies, hell I used it for my web hosting business back in the day.

1 hour ago, Lampard said:

Being honest, Selling domains is a pain now. We but a domain for 8.99 renew at 10.  If we sell for 11 constantly then renewal we get a loss in profits.

That being said, I have total confidence that blesta will deliver a well coded Domain management, but time <_< 

1 hour ago, Joseph H said:

Being honest, Selling domains is a pain now. We but a domain for 8.99 renew at 10.  If we sell for 11 constantly then renewal we get a loss in profits.

That being said, I have total confidence that blesta will deliver a well coded Domain management, but time <_< 

True but you can sell it for $11.00 and put it as first month as 8.99 and attach a coupon which works on the first payment only.

on the url put &coupon=DomainSaver201

Well yes you can sell domains but it is really pain in the a..s...I mean I did know this from April 2014 when started with Blesta....but now is 2017(almost end of it)and I tought it will be resolved in one year max..but now 3 and half year after it is same situation.Now problem is with the number of domains under menagment ......it is incrased(for us more than 6x over these years)and now it is...well it work but since many things are handled  manualy for us it is time consuming and probably for customers sometimes slow.Now I understand how Paul and rest of crew are thinking...most of the complaints about blesta was about slow developement,not releasing updates too often..etc and ofcourse the best way to speed up things is to first get on important features that doesn't cost to much time and they did speed up with 4 .For now I can stil live with this but if number of domains go up to much I will have to start working on some ad hoc solution till official domain menager is released,hope it will not take that long :)

5 hours ago, BlestaStore said:

Blesta works better when they are all on the same page and training someone to work at their speed and quality doesn't come lightly, you can hire hundreds of developers but if they aren't connecting or working to your high standards and quality then you have to go back and re-do it. And then you become a competitor to Blesta who patches up silly mistakes and fixes for features which have been broken due to lack of QA testing.

This is very wrong thinking that the software would not run better when there are more developers. Take a look at some examples, big softwares. They are made by hundreds of developers and it is true that they do make mistakes, and then those bugs are fixed immediately. When you just don't hire the developers and sit behind, nothing will work. It will take sometime for them to get trained but at least we will get the result after all.

There's 3 developers at Blesta. You can speed up developer hire developers who don't stick to the rules and quality and talk to you etc and then yourself and me would be complaining that the code has gone to shit and buggy as hell. Do you want that? No then there you go. You forget a competitor has loads of staff and their software is buggy as hell and insecure with their own PHP Global function PHP took out because they are that lazy.

How come you are so sure that they will not stick to the rules, they will not do quality work? This is absolutely wrong. Don't other company owners hire other developers? Then all their development becomes buggy? Never heard any incident like that. When you hire professional, you won't find anything wrong. When you don't take the risk, you cannot do anything. A new developer will make mistake in starting but it doesn't mean that he will KEEP making those mistakes. Won't they get used to it? Forget about the competitor, Blesta is already so far away from the competitor, at least they take the risk of hiring developers. Whatever you are gonna say to the competitor, it is still ahead, at least they are successful and are leading in this market.

You don't seem to understand the fact that Blesta is made for all type of companies. For large companies it is very hard. And more to include, the domain system is more similar to Boxbilling which i remember using, at first time when i used Blesta, it wasn't even able to sync the renewal date. And you know what? Boxbilling isn't even updated for last three years, so makes me feel that i am back to Boxbilling again.

You can't win everything. You do the domain manager people complain about the other stuff like lack of modules / gateways unlike their competitors. You do the modules / gateways then people complain about the domain manager. You can't win so they are doing both.

Again, this problem is only due to lack of developers.

BlestaStore: Why the heck you are comparing lowend (and also free one) billing system with Blesta? And by the way I would advise you to rethink the way you are talking with the people who are actually PAYING for Blesta. After all, we are the one who are pushing Blesta and WE are the one who support this project! 

I didn't heard you complaining when you take my money right? ;)

As long Blesta is targeting the hosting industry it should cover everything! End of the story.
Still waiting the native affiliate system which can be done in one day.
Still waiting for better coupon system... needless to say the amount of $ we have lose .

There is no reason deffending Blesta from those who are using it....

@Paul I see no happy end with such attitute !