Change Package Module ?!

Blesta Addons

In v4 , i have noted that it not possible not change a package module when already a service activated with this package !

the question what is the limitation that has blesta added this behavior .

i'm as admin , a need the option to change package module even if already services use this package, as i know what i do and i know this will impact the services fields and services relation . in so many case , i'm and some blesta clients use the universal module as a temporary module until we get the module we want , then we change the package module, and we edit every service manually, that way the client services remain the same, as now, we need to create now package, cancel client's services and create new one !!!

is possible to remove this lock ?

From a development point-of-view, it is much easier to use the existing cancel service/create service actions to make this change. This provides this smallest headache in managing the service. I see what you're saying, though, it would be nice to simply change the package's module. But this affects all customers using the package as apart of their service. This can have unknown and often disastrous consequences for your customer's services. I know you understand that service fields will be affected for customers using that package, but some users will not understand the implications of this behavior.

I would rather integrate a better feature to manage this behavior effectively than allow an admin to simply change data around without respect to their relations in the system.

Sir @Tyson , to be honest , We need to see one of the fallowing Solution in the final v4  :

1 - allow admins to change the package module - the admin take the responsibility for this -

2 - Create a plugin to allow us (admins) Migrate packages between modules .

Dropping This Feature was a disaster for us, i will not give a real case, as you can imagine any case that need the package to be changed for a module .

• 1 month later...

today we have critical case , we need to change module for package X to package Y , we have about 389 active services for package X . we can't manually cancel/create the services . 

we need this function as soon as possible .

also we have in the past moved/migrated a lot of packages for our clients that need a custom module from scratch .

now we have 3 project is frozen , because we have told to our clients that moving packages is not possible with b4 , they decided to freeze the work until the final v4 , one of them has back to whm** again .

personally , when i want to create a custom module, for a client that use universal module or any other core/custom module , first think i see is the service_fields and package_meta, that way i make a module that is totally compatible with the existing services , as the client just switch the package X to Package Y , the client didn't see any downtime for the process , also thier client continue using their services as they do, they notice that a new tabs has been added to their panel :)

Sorry to bump their thread but this a new obstacle that we are fronting in our work.

23 hours ago, Blesta Addons said:

today we have critical case , we need to change module for package X to package Y , we have about 389 active services for package X . we can't manually cancel/create the services . 

we need this function as soon as possible .

also we have in the past moved/migrated a lot of packages for our clients that need a custom module from scratch .

now we have 3 project is frozen , because we have told to our clients that moving packages is not possible with b4 , they decided to freeze the work until the final v4 , one of them has back to whm** again .

personally , when i want to create a custom module, for a client that use universal module or any other core/custom module , first think i see is the service_fields and package_meta, that was i make a module that is totally compatible with the existing services , as the client just switch the package X to Package Y , the client didn't see any downtime for the process , also thier client continue using their services as they do, they notice that a new tabs has been added to their panel :)

Sorry to bump their thread but this a new obstacle that we are fronting in our work.

While I'd like to see this feature too, I'd also like to see 4.0 get released and maybe build this into 4.1 or 4.2!

8 minutes ago, Blesta Addons said:

Wait to 4.1 to just a see small fix !!!! this feature is trivial for us and new incoming users to blesta .

I figured it was a bigger task to complete which is why I said it should be in another version but you know better from the coding side of things!

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...