How to randomize client ID?

Rocketz

Question

3 answers to this question

There's no built in way to randomize them. However, you could prepend and/or append other information, or have them increment every X. For example, the following would be possible:

ABC-1500
ABC-1505
ABC-1510

(Starts with ABC, and also increments by 5 at a time)

This cannot be changed in the UI, but can be changed in the database. Look for company_settings.clients_format and company_settings.clients_increment where company_settings.company_id=1 (Or your company ID if multiple companies)

company_settings.clients_format must contain the {num} tag in there someplace.

So, not random, but you may wish to increment by more than 1. clients_increment contains the increment value (default 1)

1 hour ago, AnthonyL said:

Thanks Paul. Are there any other variables that can be used in that db table? I.e : {year} {month} or just {num}? I guess it's not that important, but good to know if i want a little bit of structure. 

I don't think so, but I could be wrong. You could try the same vars that are available to invoices like {year} {month} {day}, it might work, not sure as it's not documented.