Two names for payment gateways

John

3 hours ago, Blesta Addons said:

i think this should a must have option in blesta , name customization and multi-languages .

Do you think the name the customer sees should be part of the language file, included with the gateway? Or should you be able to specify the name manually when configuring the gateway? I'm not sure most gateways would need to be translated. Authorize.net, PayPal, these names are universal are they not?

54 minutes ago, Paul said:

Do you think the name the customer sees should be part of the language file, included with the gateway? Or should you be able to specify the name manually when configuring the gateway? I'm not sure most gateways would need to be translated. Authorize.net, PayPal, these names are universal are they not?

The option to configure within the gateway settings would be nice. If I had my choice, I would simply put 'Credit Card' or list out 'Visa, MC, etc' or have 'Paypal' instead of the actual Paypal version. I think a majority of people could care less which gateway is being used as long as they know it's 'credit cards' or 'Bitcoin' or 'Paypal'.

20 hours ago, Paul said:

For those who didn't use a multi-languages system, the name customization would be the best option for him . for those who use a multi-langues version they prefer to use the languages files as they can put the name for every language .

what is the best solution is a customization name in multi-languages like the welcome email  .

On 11/3/2016 at 10:33 AM, evolvewh said:

The option to configure within the gateway settings would be nice. If I had my choice, I would simply put 'Credit Card' or list out 'Visa, MC, etc' or have 'Paypal' instead of the actual Paypal version. I think a majority of people could care less which gateway is being used as long as they know it's 'credit cards' or 'Bitcoin' or 'Paypal'.

Merchant payment gateways do not show the name. For example, the customer will never see "Authorize.net", but rather "Credit Card". So, I see this exclusively for non-merchant gateways, and the example of showing simply "PayPal" instead of "PayPal Payments Standard" and "Bitcoin" instead of "Bitpay" are excellent examples.

9 hours ago, Blesta Addons said:

For those who didn't use a multi-languages system, the name customization would be the best option for him . for those who use a multi-langues version they prefer to use the languages files as they can put the name for every language .

what is the best solution is a customization name in multi-languages like the welcome email  .

If we have to localize the names of gateways, then that sort of pushes us toward language files. I'm not convinced that gateway names like "PayPal" or "2Checkout" translate well into other languages. Are they not known by their names in other languages?

The simplest solution is to be able to set a single name to "override" the build in gateway name.

So, for non-merchant gateways, we could potentially add a new field when managing the gateway called something like "Display Name", which would default to the gateway name. For PayPal, this might say "PayPal Payments Standard", but could be modified to say anything you want.

Thoughts on this kind of implementation?

I will not enter in a debate of universal names, but in some languages the names are not universal, like chinese or arabic, hebrew, farsi and much more .

Also a small name like "Offline payment", "bank" do you also think universal ?

We are not inventing the wheel because other cms already have it .

23 hours ago, Paul said:

Merchant payment gateways do not show the name. For example, the customer will never see "Authorize.net", but rather "Credit Card". So, I see this exclusively for non-merchant gateways, and the example of showing simply "PayPal" instead of "PayPal Payments Standard" and "Bitcoin" instead of "Bitpay" are excellent examples.

- It should be possible to have multiple payment methods per non-merchant gateway.

E.g. if I want to use Paypal for processing credit cards as well, there shouldn't be just "Paypal" but "Credit card" as well.

And for European gateways it is pretty common to have 4 different payment methods handled by a single gateway.

- Ideally it should also be possible for individual payment modules to add additional arbitrary fields to the form under the payment method.

Like Woocommerce allows for iDeal payments, where the user has to select his own bank from a list:

woocommerce-gateway-mollie-checkout-proc

This prevents having the user to go through an extra screen later, and promotes the concept of a single page order screen.

On 11/4/2016 at 11:35 PM, Paul said:

If we have to localize the names of gateways, then that sort of pushes us toward language files. I'm not convinced that gateway names like "PayPal" or "2Checkout" translate well into other languages. Are they not known by their names in other languages?

Localize the names of generic payment methods (e.g. credit card, bank transfer, direct debit) somewhere centrally (do not duplicate that in every module), not the gateway names.

On 11/3/2016 at 10:33 AM, evolvewh said:

This.

On 11/4/2016 at 3:35 PM, Paul said:

Thoughts on this kind of implementation?

Yes, please.

I had a shopper wondering where the credit card payment option was, because they didn't relate "Paypal Payments Standard" as an applicable option for them. Here's a thread about it, and a quick work around by adding a one-liner of html.