How to Modify Adobe DreamWeaver to Audit your file changes sitewide

turner2f

For those of us who have made CSS, text or code modifications to our files AND cannot remember what we did or where exactly we did it...

We need the ability to Audit our file changes.

============

Personally, like to audit my changes so that the changed files are not overwritten or the code gets lost when updating to a new version of Blesta.

IMPORTANT :  I ALWAYS tag my code changes using PHP, HTML or CSS comments

EXAMPLE:   //MODIFIED CODE     <!--MODIFIED CODE-->    /* MODIFIED CODE */

This way all I have to do is a site-wide" code search for  " MODIFIED CODE " in DreamWeaver , and then ALL my changes and files are listed site-wide.

============

I use DreamWeaver CS3 to search for all my changes on a Windows 7 OS

NOTE: Out-of-the-box, DreamWeaver CS3 does not detect PDT files.

============

Here's what to do...

STEP 1 -   Go to  https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/change-add-recognized-file-extensions.html

To see your version of Dreameaver .

STEP 2 -   In Windows 7, go to "C Drive" and then search for the  " Dreamweaver 9 " folder

STEP 3 -  Inside the folder you will find a text file called "Extensions.txt"

STEP 4 -  I would suggest you make a backup of your original DreamWeaver file by naming it " Extensions_(OLD) "

STEP 5 -  Open up the "Extensions.txt" file with a 3rd party text editor like Notepad ++

STEP 6 - On the 1st line just add the PDT ( all capitalized ) so that it looks like...

HTM,HTML,SHTM,SHTML,HTA,HTC,XHTML,STM,SSI,JS,AS,ASC,ASR,XML,XSL,XSD,DTD,XSLT,RSS,RDF,LBI,DWT,ASP,ASA,ASPX,ASCX,ASMX,CONFIG,CS,CSS,CFM,CFML,CFC,TLD,TXT,PHP,
PHP3,PHP4,PHP5,PDT,JSP,WML,TPL,LASSO,JSF,VB,VBS,VTM,VTML,INC,JAVA,EDML,MASTER:All Documents

STEP 7 - Startup DreamWeaver.  - - >  Find and Replace  - - >  ( Leave the replace text area blank )  - - >  " Find In: Selected Files In Site " ( you should have your Blesta folder selected to be searched )

STEP 8 - And then do a "site-wide" (Global) search for all the areas you tagged ( commented )  as being modified

============

Viola! :D 
You are ready to Audit and "copy and paste" all your changes by comparing your modified files to the NEW ones of your Blesta upgrade.

AS A BONUS...

You can also use DreamWeaver to "Reverse Engineer" by using the keyword search sitewide for code and text.

Hope this helps.

And vote it up if you like it. :D

• 1 year later...