Custom Links In Client Navigation

MarkTheDaemon

Why not have a WYSIWYG style thing for everything from pages, to modules, that way you don't have to move a finger?

Because you are expecting end users to have a grasp on editing HTML/PHP files. Don't set the bar high, not everyone that uses Blesta will be a web host, it's a billing system that a lot of companies can use that aren't technically competent in programming.

Because you are expecting end users to have a grasp on editing HTML/PHP files. Don't set the bar high, not everyone that uses Blesta will be a web host, it's a billing system that a lot of companies can use that aren't technically competent in programming.

If they can't do little code edits, personally I believe they shouldn't bother in the internet market where we live on basic <a href=""></a> <b></b> <u></u> <br /> I Learned that back when I was 13. Way before I was working for a webhost and before I owned my own. And even a basic person can copy and paste, unless they can't use a computer.

If you was using WHM** / Hostb*** / ClientE*** you couldn't get it so easy you could didn't have to touch a bit of code.

If they can't do little code edits, personally I believe they shouldn't bother in the internet market where we live on basic <a href=""></a> <b></b> <u></u> <br /> I Learned that back when I was 13. Way before I was working for a webhost and before I owned my own. And even a basic person can copy and paste, unless they can't use a computer.

If you was using WHM** / Hostb*** / ClientE*** you couldn't get it so easy you could didn't have to touch a bit of code.

But Blesta is a billing system, and you can use it for so much more than just the "internet market". What about an architect, or writer working freelance? They aren't anywhere near the web industry but could still use Blesta quite happily for their invoicing and administration. I wouldn't expect them to know the first thing about editing code. At the end of the day they are paying for the product.

Maybe I'm out on my own on this but I see a lot of potential for different markets outside your usual "web host billing".

But Blesta is a billing system, and you can use it for so much more than just the "internet market". What about an architect, or writer working freelance? They aren't anywhere near the web industry but could still use Blesta quite happily for their invoicing and administration. I wouldn't expect them to know the first thing about editing code. At the end of the day they are paying for the product.

Maybe I'm out on my own on this but I see a lot of potential for different markets outside your usual "web host billing".

Then they do a "The Works" and "The Entertainer" shops in the UK, they hire someone to work on their website side to do all that. The Works has one guy who adds all their products to their website, takes pictures, writes descriptions. If they can do it, so can others.

Then they do a "The Works" and "The Entertainer" shops in the UK, they hire someone to work on their website side to do all that. The Works has one guy who adds all their products to their website, takes pictures, writes descriptions. If they can do it, so can others.

If you say so. I just know there are thousands of small businesses out there in the UK alone that look at billing solutions like Blesta, and not every one of them can afford to outsource to pay someone to do it for them.

I've made the suggestion but I get the impression it's not being well received so I'll leave it at that.

I'm all for making Blesta easier to use. As for the OP about adding links to the nav, we'd have to think about that some more as it becomes quite easy to break the nav with a few more links. And plugins can tie into the navigation as well, making this kind of feature more difficult to manage.

And even a basic person can copy and paste, unless they can't use a computer.

I can't tell you how many times a project has been delayed or broken because someone copied and pasted code and tried to compile and run it. This is a HUGE problem, which spans to programmers as well (I know many that do this). Like signing a contract, you need to read it and understand it before you commit yourself to it.

I'm all for making Blesta easier to use. As for the OP about adding links to the nav, we'd have to think about that some more as it becomes quite easy to break the nav with a few more links. And plugins can tie into the navigation as well, making this kind of feature more difficult to manage.

Would it be possible to make a "Custom Nav" Module? Something to build custom scaffolding (drop-down) menu items utilizing the Module's ability to hook into the menu?

While a plugin to add nav/subnav items to the menu would be possible, it still wouldn't handle the conflict with other plugins adding nav items to the menu, like the Support Manager, so a Wordpress-like menu system wouldn't be attainable without core support. Again, something that needs to be better thought out.

While a plugin to add nav/subnav items to the menu would be possible, it still wouldn't handle the conflict with other plugins adding nav items to the menu, like the Support Manager, so a Wordpress-like menu system wouldn't be attainable without core support. Again, something that needs to be better thought out.

The menu could be built into the core, and then plugins could register their needed links (however thats done) then modify in the core menu.

What kind of conflict would occur? I can't think of anything that wouldnt allow it to work. One thing I'm not sure about is ordering but /something/ is typically better than nothing. :-)

• 4 years later...

I keep runnin into a brick wall. I'm actually searching google for "add links to blesta menu." and "create new pages in blesta"

I know you have a cms out now, but there are plenty people out there that might only want blesta,
That leaves a lot to the imagination in terms of theming the whole thing, and customizing it, adding pages, and links in the nav for those pages etc etc.
I think a lot of people would prefer if there was an easier way to add new pages, and links to the nav menu for those pages.

I'm kind of at the stage where I want to add new pages, links, but I'd have to dive into the code to get it done, right?

Just my opinion, it would make it better for everyone, and potential customers.
So we have 3 options, buy that admin tools, buy the cms, or dive into the code.
Wel l4 if you find a theme that has all those features included.
But we can't do it from a plugin in blesta itself.

Have you thought about combining the cms with blesta as one product.

4 hours ago, EMar said:

I keep runnin into a brick wall. I'm actually searching google for "add links to blesta menu." and "create new pages in blesta"

I know you have a cms out now, but there are plenty people out there that might only want blesta,
That leaves a lot to the imagination in terms of theming the whole thing, and customizing it, adding pages, and links in the nav for those pages etc etc.
I think a lot of people would prefer if there was an easier way to add new pages, and links to the nav menu for those pages.

I'm kind of at the stage where I want to add new pages, links, but I'd have to dive into the code to get it done, right?

Just my opinion, it would make it better for everyone, and potential customers.
So we have 3 options, buy that admin tools, buy the cms, or dive into the code.
Wel l4 if you find a theme that has all those features included.
But we can't do it from a plugin in blesta itself.

Have you thought about combining the cms with blesta as one package?

We are working in a new version of Admin Tools that will allow users to add custom links.

• 7 months later...