Per customer billing anniversary and pro rata

Deon

Question

We want to have "billing anniversary per customer"  with the anniversary determined by the date of their 1st order.  Any subsequent orders should then be pro rated to their specific billing anniversary.

Does Blesta support this approach?

I can see it supports pro rata with a universal billing annivesary for all customers, but we want to spread our billing administrative burden across the month.

Thanks

9 answers to this question

Thanks Paul.

So, if I don't activate the feature to prorate on any packages, how will Blesta handle additional orders and recurring billing for customers?

For example:

1. Customer places order for "Elite hosting package" as first order on 3 January, paying monthly.

2. Customer places order for "Second hosting package" on 10 April.

Questions:

1.  What will customer pay on checkout of ordering on 10 April?

2.  What will their bills look like and on what dates in May?

Thanks

Deon.

4 hours ago, Deon said:

1. Customer places order for "Elite hosting package" as first order on 3 January, paying monthly.

2. Customer places order for "Second hosting package" on 10 April.

First order will renew every month on the 3rd of January and the second will be renewed every month on the 10th.

6 hours ago, Licensecart said:

First order will renew every month on the 3rd of January and the second will be renewed every month on the 10th.

Mike is exactly right. Services will renew on the day they were originally ordered. Two points on this though:

1. You can change a services renew date to make it in "sync" with other services manually, and prorate the difference
  2. Services that have the same renew date will be billed on the same date, and appear on the same invoice

I have a similar need as above.

All our customers need to be billed on 1st January of each year, independently of when they subscribed to the service.

As far as I understood, I need firstly to let them pay 1 year of service, then I could schedule an automatic "sync" that extend any service expiring during the year to the 31st December.

Is it possible with a script/api call (manually would be too time-consuming)? Where can I find documentation?

On 5/9/2019 at 2:17 AM, Federico said:

I have a similar need as above.

All our customers need to be billed on 1st January of each year, independently of when they subscribed to the service.

As far as I understood, I need firstly to let them pay 1 year of service, then I could schedule an automatic "sync" that extend any service expiring during the year to the 31st December.

Is it possible with a script/api call (manually would be too time-consuming)? Where can I find documentation?

You can configure your packages now for pro-rata, if they purchased a 1 year term then it would be prorated to June 1st or July 1st depending on what you set for the cutofff day. Then you can adjust the renew date and generate a 2nd invoice for June 1st - Jan 1st. After that it'll renew on Jan 1st each year. So, an extra manual step in there unfortunately. We might be interested in adding a prorata month option for yearly services if you want to make a feature request.

Prorata option works best with monthly services, so if you have a monthly service you want to renew on the 1st each month, then placing an order will prorate it.. and you pay either partial month or partial month + whole month to get it to renew on the 1st. It doesn't work so well with yearly terms because it will still prorate it to the 1st of the next month not the 1st of a particular month.