Gocardless And Duo Security Modules

vn-jonathan

Hi all,

I'm new here, so please excuse me if this is in the wrong place!

So, for my company we're looking at making a move to Blesta. WHMCS is slowly driving us all up the wall, and of all the other products we've ever considered or evaluated, Blesta is certainly the best.

The only thing is, there are a few things that Blesta doesn't yet have modules for which we need - GoCardless and DuoSecurity being two.

For those not in the know;

GoCardless (www.gocardless.com) is a payment provider offering Direct Debit payments in the UK, and soon SEPA Direct Debit payments in the EU. The fees are low, customers get security and protection  - it's all good.

DuoSecurity (www.duosecurity.com) is a provider of 2FA services. The service is free for the first few accounts, and rather reasonably priced after that. There are a whole bunch of integrations already done for everthing from Microsoft Exchange to *nix systems. Yea, there are other 2FA providers out there, but Duo has worked really well for us.

Blesta doesn't seem to have modules for either of these yet, and I'm guessing due to the limited appeal they're not going to be high up on the "todo" list either.

What we were wondering, is if there is any interest from others here for these modules?

The idea would be that if we went and developed them to a suitable standard, to offer them in the marketplace for a nominal fee to both open the option of these service providers to other users, and to help us recover initial development costs and fund ongoing improvements.

So in summary - would anyone be interested in these two modules? If so what features and methods would be "must haves"?

Thanks,

Jon

Welcome Jon to the community,

They are going to be doing a GoCardless module as I'm aware as we had a list of features we needed to get though and I believe me and another member or two wanted the GoCardless, however because it's not needed as much as a few other modules, we will need to wait a while before they think about it. However I believe they are looking into the DuoSecurity and unlike the competitors that will be part of the default system. 

Knowing my luck DuoSecurity is already implanted like the Yubikey is, as they use Two Factor Auth however they need to convert the codes. But Paul, Cody or Tyson will need to fill you in on this. The marketplace hasn't started yet as it's a big enough project as it is just for that, and other features like Enom modules, WHM** Importers etc. So they are first in line priority wise as most of the users need them.

So bare with us while the fantastic team progress though these and it will be worth the wait. See you around the community :D.

Welcome!

We have had some requests for GoCardless, but I don't yet see a task in our system for it, though it's one we want to look into. If I recall, it works differently than a standard merchant or nonmerchant gateway so it's not as cookie cutter to implement.

In terms of duosecurity, if I recall it's proprietary. Blesta supports both standard TOTP and MOTP implementations and there are no fees. Google Authenticator, and many other free apps work great with our implementation, as well as hardware tokens like the Yubikey. 

What do you like about duosecurity that makes a transition to a free, open, standard TOTP or MOTP implementation difficult? We tend to shy away from proprietary security implementations, especially ones that require an API and are not self contained.

Thanks!

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yea - GoCardless is an interesting one to implement. Back when we started using it with WHMCS getting things setup was not without blood, sweat and tears - and that was using a module that at the time was developed by GoCardless themselves!!

Once working though it has proven to be invaluable for many clients, more those with larger bills that don't vary. The low fees and positive customer feedback we got did make the effort very worth while.

As for Duo - I don't think there is any reason that we currently prefer their solution over any of the alternatives, it's literally that Duo is what we currently have running on a number of other systems, and we already have staff setup for this. They've also always been rather helpful when we've needed to talk to them, which is a big plus. I don't think transition to an open solution would be difficult as such, it's just a case of it being "more difficult" than keeping Duo.

I suppose in the case of Duo, we could be persuaded to look at switching ;)

Jon

• 2 months later...

Hello,

Is there any news on a GoCardless payment gateway? Would really like to use this as an option. 

Thanks, Gavin

Hello there's not that I've heard of, I also use this payment gateway however I do it all manually. I suppose we could contact GoCardless and see if they could bring one out.

• 3 months later...