Backup

RRWH

Question

Just looking at the backups and have a couple of Q's

What is backed up by the built-in backup?  Is it just the database or is it more?  - such as the pdt files that are customized.

Reason I am asking is that when I try and do an on demand backup, it times out and does not complete, guess that I will just have to wait until the backup runs and hope it completes.

What sort of time does the on-demand backup take?  When I try, it times out without completing - I guess I will need to extend the php execution time in order to complete the backup, but how long do I need to set it to?

4 answers to this question

The backups perform a database backup only. Running the on-demand backup, depending on the size of your database, should be relatively quick -- no more than a minute or two typically.

If running it manually is timing out, chances are good that it wont complete.

Verify 2 things.

1. Your server has the mysqldump binary.

2. You have 1 or both backup methods configured properly, either Amazon S3 or SFTP or both.

The backups perform a database backup only. Running the on-demand backup, depending on the size of your database, should be relatively quick -- no more than a minute or two typically.

If running it manually is timing out, chances are good that it wont complete.

Verify 2 things.

1. Your server has the mysqldump binary.

2. You have 1 or both backup methods configured properly, either Amazon S3 or SFTP or both.

Mysqldump binary is in place.

# which mysqldump
/usr/bin/mysqldump

I have configured SFTP access and verified it is working via the SFTP config page (test connection).

Additionally, I grabbed the exact command being run from the /app/models/backup.php file and time ran it from the cmdline.

time mysqldump --host="localhost" --user="xxx" --password="xxx" "xxx" >/tmp/sql_dump001

real    0m1.627s
user    0m0.280s
sys     0m0.093s

# ll /tmp/sql*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4133568 Aug 29 09:55 /tmp/sql_dump001

A quick look at the contents of the dump file and it looks to be fine.
Additionally, I took a look in the tmp dir and I can see an empty archive file in there that co-incides with each time I tried to manually run it.

Got it.....  Found that php.ini had been configured to disable exec !

Might be worth adding to the install checks and noting that exec is required for the backups.

I believe most providers disable exec function, I disable it on the client server for security. Not sure if it's safe to disable it lol.