Payment Received Date

evolvewh

Question

When a payment is recorded and the 'date received' is set, doesn't it make more sense to send the receipt on that date rather than immediately if the date is not today?

Ex. Date Received = 4/10 so the receipt should be sent on 4/10, not the actual date that the admin records the payment.

15 answers to this question

There's no mechanism in place that would allow the receipt to be sent automatically without user action, so sending at a later time would require significant changes. Cron doesn't process these notifications, so if it's not sent at the time it's recorded it's not sent at all.

Might be worth looking at changing, but I doubt it would be a very high priority. https://requests.blesta.com :blesta:

Do you record payments that you haven't received yet? Not sure I follow exactly, as that feature is generally used to record payments you've already received, maybe a couple days earlier, and you're just now getting around to marking it received, so the received date would be in the past.

20 hours ago, Tyson said:

Do you record payments that you haven't received yet? Not sure I follow exactly, as that feature is generally used to record payments you've already received, maybe a couple days earlier, and you're just now getting around to marking it received, so the received date would be in the past.

I don't know that I'm going to do this on a regular basis but I received a couple of checks yesterday that I knew would clear today but I wanted to get them recorded in the system yesterday so I set the 'date received' to 4/8 when the funds would actually clear.

@evolvewh

I agree. I discovered this exact same issue back in January 2017.

I received some checks back in October 2016 before I installed Blesta, and wanted to get them recorded into the system once I got Blesta setup.

I recorded a " Manual Payment " for these checks, set them up as being received in October 2016, and they STILL showed up as January 2017 on the back-end and on the receipt sent to the client.

So it would appear as if I received the checks in January 2017 when they were actually received and cleared in October 2016.

==============

In fact, here are two (2) screenshots of where I received a PayPal payment ( for an invoice not connected to Blesta  ) and needed to manually record the payment as coming on March 27th, and it STILL showed up as on March 28th instead on the day before.

IN-correct_recorded_pay_date_1.jpg

IN-correct_recorded_pay_date_2.jpg

Thanks for the clarity.

And as you mentioned ...

...having "Date Received" on the receipt seems like it would be the more logical choice for a receipt.

As I am not certain why we are allowed to pick a "Date Received" when it does not even appear within the "Transactions" section of the client's page within the  Admin area either.

This really should be improved in an upcoming update on BOTH ends.

just to note , date received is deferent from date applied .

date received = i can add check today or any time.

date applied = when the credit applied to a invoice.

sample case, my client has added funds today (date received), then after 10 days the client opt to pay the invoice with their credit (date applied).

18 minutes ago, Blesta Addons said:

just to note , date received is deferent from date applied .

date received = i can add check today or any time.

date applied = when the credit applied to a invoice.

sample case, my client has added funds today (date received), then after 10 days the client opt to pay the invoice with their credit (date applied).

That part makes sense but I'm still confused when we manually record a payment and we say 'date received' Friday yet we are entering this on a Wednesday (as an example) and the invoice goes out immediately showing that the funds were received. I guess it does not make any sense to add a future 'date received' like I originally tried to do but it does work as intended if I said the payment was 'received' on May 1 and I recorded it on May 4?

@Blesta Addons

I understand what you mean.

But it would be an improvement to RE-vamp this output, since I imagine many of us would default to ( and benefit from) the understanding that when you manually change the "Payment Received" that it should show up on the invoice too.

=============

Again, hopefully Blesta will see the value of doing so in an update, as i have already posted this as a "Request" . 

=============

I imagine many of us would be more concerned with when the checks are actually cashed and posted, rather than when they are "received"

=============

And ALSO, this is an issue when we are receiving RE-curring PayPal or Authorize.net payments that are not connected to the Blesta system, since those RE-curring payments were already in place BEFORE we were using Blesta.

Hey guys! So I just want to make sure I understand what you guys are asking for. I did some testing, and pre-dating the transaction received date does in fact log it for that date. That's the date recorded for the transaction, visible in the Transactions widget for both the Client and Admin areas. However, if you expand the transaction, or view the invoice to see the date applied, it's different.

I suppose this could result in some customers complaining that you received a payment but didn't apply it until later.

Are you saying that if a transaction is recorded and is being applied to specific invoices, that it should also inherit the date applied date from the date received box? :)

19 hours ago, Paul said:

Hey guys! So I just want to make sure I understand what you guys are asking for. I did some testing, and pre-dating the transaction received date does in fact log it for that date. That's the date recorded for the transaction, visible in the Transactions widget for both the Client and Admin areas. However, if you expand the transaction, or view the invoice to see the date applied, it's different.

I suppose this could result in some customers complaining that you received a payment but didn't apply it until later.

Are you saying that if a transaction is recorded and is being applied to specific invoices, that it should also inherit the date applied date from the date received box? :)

For me, I'd say just adding the "Date Received" field to the receipt would work.  A receipt is a record of when the client pays you, not when you apply that payment to their account.  So I think having both the Date Received and the Date Applied on the transaction receipts would work just fine (or some logic to only show one if they are the same date).