A PAID Itemized Receipt Should be Attached to the Customer's "Paid Notification" Email

turner2f

Question

There is no detailed, itemized description that shows the customer  what  they paid for.

Currently when the customer receives a "PAID" notification email they are NOT shown what they paid for.

They have to go through the process of logging into their account in order to get an itemized paid receipt.
And in some case if they do not remember their password, they now have to go through an additional process of a password reset.

===========

Other "Billing" notifications to the customer have an itemized PDF invoice attached to it, whereas this same feature is  NOT executed when the customer gets a "PAID" email notification.

===========

1) - An " Itemized PAID Receipt" should be attached to the customer's "Paid Notification" Email.

2) - OR... the customer's "Paid Notification Email" needs to display an itemized detail of what they just paid for within the email message.

7 answers to this question

I'm willing to bet that the same code used when an original invoice is sent could be used here since it's the same file and just updates to show 'paid'. Maybe a developer can chime in and help you extract that code to include it with the 'paid invoice' email template. Personally, we've never had a client ask for this but every business is different.

Thanks for the reply.

Within every transaction online ( whether it be E-commerce or a utility ) there has always been an itemized list of what we paid for OR a receipt is attached.

We have a customers that have multiple invoices paid either on the same day --OR-- in some cases have RE-curring payments where they do not even remember what they are paid for.

===============

We actually had one case where the customer got very upset because they did not feel they should have to go through the login process to see their receipts.

I tend to agree with them, as I personally have never had to login for receipts concerning E-Commerce or Utility payments.

Doing so takes away from the user-friendly experience, and adds to confusion for the customer.

===============

I put in a request for this at...

http://requests.blesta.com/topic/a-paid-itemized-receipt-should-be-attached-to-the-paid-notification

I'm willing to bet that the same code used when an original invoice is sent could be used here since it's the same file and just updates to show 'paid'. Maybe a developer can chime in and help you extract that code to include it with the 'paid invoice' email template.

@evolvewh

I agree that the same code should be addeed to the "PAID" template  --OR--  a shortcode to insert the itemized paid details into the Paid Email message.

Hopefully this will be an easy request to fulfill by Blesta developers for there next update.

Or if they could just offer a hack for the code, that would be great too.

I think this could be looked at multiple ways:

1) If a customer uses the 'pay now' link or they login to their account to pay, they see a list of their charges they are paying for.

2) This is mainly an 'issue' when an invoice is paid using Auto Debit but one could make the 'argument' if you will that the customer has already received the invoice x amount of days prior so they know what is being paid for, otherwise they should have contacted you in between the invoice date and the actual auto debit date (we receive that often times when a multi year renewal comes up).

3) Ecommerce is a bit different because they are adding the items that they want to purchase to the cart before they actually pay for it and It's the same process for a hosting / domain customer when they initially sign up.

We've taken a little bit of a different approach where we are encouraging our customers to login to the portal because it contains a lot of important information and we want them to know it's available 24/7/365. The can see all of their services, renewal dates, prices, invoices, receipts, etc and I find that they're less confused when they receive a renewal invoice in the future. They are still given the option to 'pay now' without logging into the portal if they want to so it's not a total inconvenience.

Just my 2 cents.

I respect your reply.

1) - There are customers that do not care to login to see RE-curring payments -AND- may have multiple RE- curring payment amounts at different times of the year and do not remember what the payments are for.

1b) - And even if they get a reminder a week ahead of time, some of them might not think to commit the amount to memory because they are already busy other with current priorities and duties of the day.

2) - They are very busy, fast-paced and are running a business too.

3) - Having this implemented into the "Paid Email" template is the "silver bullet" needed for any customers' preference, and adds ease-of-use to the customer experience.

4) - I personally have never experienced or had to login to see any transaction with any RE-Curring Utility payments.

5) - Some people like to store away their emails ( keep emails on file ) for reference later .

6) - We already had one customer get irritated that they had to login to get an itemized , detailed copy of their receipt .

• Some transactions are not applied to invoices
  • Some transactions are applied as credits, and then applied to invoices via the cron, so the items being paid are not known at the time of the transaction.
  • A transaction might be applied to 1 or more invoices, including a partial payment to multiple invoices

Do you want the objects for all invoices the transaction was applied to to be available to the email template as tags?

Let's say someone partial pays an invoice. There's no way to know for which items they intended to pay, so listing all items on the invoice in the email may be inaccurate and/or misleading.