Investigation of the error: 'The email failed to send due to a configuration issue'

Anton Qcl

Question

8 answers to this question

Licensecart, SMTP.
PaulSome emails go out but not all of them. Fortunately I was able to repeat problem using test user. From the over side, I have no idea how to find the reason of the problem. Mail settings is ok - I'm able to send mail from the other software using same credentials. Moreover, I have several companies in my Blesta (with unique email for each) and from time to time I face with mail problems at each of them.
Regretfully, I can't find any useful information about reasons of the errors - I can only see status "Unsent" and message "The email failed to send due to a configuration issue".
Please, recommend my some way to investigate the problems. Perhaps I can find some logs somewhere? 

Are you using PHP mail or SMTP? If you're not using SMTP, try switching to SMTP. If you have access to your mail server logs, check those and see if any errors are produced. If it's intermittent, maybe it's a network or rate limit issue?

If you're not running Blesta 4.0.1, I'd suggest upgrading. We upgraded Swiftmailer (the mail library) in 4.0, though I'm not aware of any bugs that could cause that in the previous version.

Paul, I'm using SMTP.
Blesta Version: 3.6.2

If you have access to your mail server logs, check those and see if any errors are produced

I have access to logs. OS is CentOS 7. I've checked /var/log/maillog but there is no entries about failed emails. Do you have any idea about other files to check?

If you're not running Blesta 4.0.1, I'd suggest upgrading. 

Unfortunately, it is not easy procedure in my case cause some of .pdt files was modified and some of third-party plugins can be incompatible with new version. I'll try to avoid this procedure as long as possible.

If it's intermittent, maybe it's a network or rate limit issue?

It looks like fortune telling. Yes, problems could be caused by plenty of reasons and I want to find these reasons. However "the guessing" is not the way I want to use. So, I'm asking you, how can I find real source of the problems? Do you have instrument for debug this kind of problems (like extended logging to the file)? Maybe I can temporarily place some snippet for debug purposes somewhere? Please, tell me about variants of diagnostic. What would you do to find cause of this problem?

On 5/20/2017 at 9:21 AM, Anton Qcl said:

It looks like fortune telling. Yes, problems could be caused by plenty of reasons and I want to find these reasons. However "the guessing" is not the way I want to use. So, I'm asking you, how can I find real source of the problems? Do you have instrument for debug this kind of problems (like extended logging to the file)? Maybe I can temporarily place some snippet for debug purposes somewhere? Please, tell me about variants of diagnostic. What would you do to find cause of this problem?

Should take this conversation out of the forums and open a support ticket directly with Blesta (assuming you have an active support and update subscription with them).

-Adam

On 5/20/2017 at 9:21 AM, Anton Qcl said:

Paul, I'm using SMTP.
Blesta Version: 3.6.2

I have access to logs. OS is CentOS 7. I've checked /var/log/maillog but there is no entries about failed emails. Do you have any idea about other files to check?

Unfortunately, it is not easy procedure in my case cause some of .pdt files was modified and some of third-party plugins can be incompatible with new version. I'll try to avoid this procedure as long as possible.

To enable error reporting, edit /config/blesta.php and change **Configure::errorReporting(0);** to **Configure::errorReporting(-1);** You may also wish to enable System Debug. To do so, change **Configure::set("System.debug", false);** to **Configure::set("System.debug", true);**

It's a good idea to change these settings back when you are done.

You can ignore the bit about System.debug as that's in 4.x only. Is the issue entirely intermittent? Or are you seeing specific kinds of emails failing? If you have bad tags in an email template, that can cause the emails to error during send and not go out.

Apart from those things, there may be something going on with your server.