Upgrade to Blesta 4.0.1 Issue - Please Help

Jason Ryan

Question

Hello -

I am in the middle of upgrading Blesta v3 ot Blesta v4.0.1 and I am getting this error when accessing the /admin/upgrade URL

Mod rewrite is not enabled, or htaccess is not supported by this server. You must disable pretty URL support in Blesta by removing the .htaccess file.

I tried removing the existing .htaccess file and it just 404'd, and I am pretty positive that mod_rewrite is Enabled! Please help!

19 answers to this question

To follow up...

1. Unzipped Blesta-4.0.1
2. Uploaded files to server overwriting existing
3. Accessed /admin/upgrade in address bar, redirects to /install and shows above message

I checked with hosting provider and in fact both mod_rewrite & .htaccess are supported

Tried removing .htaccess a second time and it redirected to an install screen asking for me to "install" blesta and to supply Database credentials. This doesn't seem to be the way to "upgrade" but like I am installing a brand new install of Blesta.

What is going on, thought the upgrade process was supposed to be easy :P

I am re-uploading my backup for now so my app isn't offline and is usable until someone is able to help with this.

After uploading the files, before running the upgrader try removing the following files, per https://docs.blesta.com/display/user/Upgrading+Blesta

• ~/helpers/date
  • ~/helpers/form
  • ~/helpers/html
  • ~/helpers/javascript
  • ~/helpers/pagination
  • ~/helpers/xml
  • ~/lib/cache.php
  • ~/lib/configure.php
  • ~/lib/controller.php
  • ~/lib/dispatcher.php
  • ~/lib/language.php
  • ~/lib/loader.php
  • ~/lib/model.php
  • ~/lib/router.php
  • ~/lib/stdlib.php
  • ~/lib/unknown_exception.php
  • ~/lib/view.php

If Blesta redirects to /install it's usually because it doesn't detect a config file config/blesta.php This file should not be removed when upgrading, it's critical that it remain in place and unmodified.

1 minute ago, Paul said:

After uploading the files, before running the upgrader try removing the following files, per https://docs.blesta.com/display/user/Upgrading+Blesta

If Blesta redirects to /install it's usually because it doesn't detect a config file config/blesta.php This file should not be removed when upgrading, it's critical that it remain in place and unmodified.

Paul -

I will give this another go later this evening. Right now I am just trying to get my backup up and running but it just keeps saying "License Invalid". I logged into my account and tried to "reissue" my license but it doesn't seem to have any effect. The same key is still showing and I am completely locked out now.

I had updated your ticket. Since you re-issued the license, your installation has not called home. You should try re-saving the license key. If that doesn't work, it hasn't been properly restored. It's very important that your original config file, original Blesta files, and original database have been restored.

13 minutes ago, Paul said:

I had updated your ticket. Since you re-issued the license, your installation has not called home. You should try re-saving the license key. If that doesn't work, it hasn't been properly restored. It's very important that your original config file, original Blesta files, and original database have been restored.

Paul -

Am I correct in thinking that the DB had not even been touched since I stopped everything and didn't move forward with the upgrade? It may be attributed to a file issue as I am re-uploading everything now from my original installation.

1 minute ago, viablethought said:

Paul -

Am I correct in thinking that the DB had not even been touched since I stopped everything and didn't move forward with the upgrade? It may be attributed to a file issue as I am re-uploading everything now from my original installation.

If you never got to the upgrade screen and ran the upgrade, then your database is most likely untouched. Be certain that your original /config/blesta.php config file is in place, as it's the most critical file in your installation.. as well as the Blesta files for your exact version prior to attempting an upgrade to 4.0

2 hours ago, evolvewh said:

It sounds like you replaced every file in every existing folder so it's more than likely you lost your config/blesta.php file when you 'uploaded to overwrite all existing files'. Were you able to make progress with this yet?

Hey -

I let it go yesterday since I almost had a heart attack thinking I totally screwed something up but got my backup up and running. I may try and give it another go tonight, this time paying a little more attention to what files are being moved around in "helpers' & "lib", and also making sure my existing blesta config file goes untouched. I will report back either way. Thanks for the follow up :)

13 hours ago, viablethought said:

Hey -

I let it go yesterday since I almost had a heart attack thinking I totally screwed something up but got my backup up and running. I may try and give it another go tonight, this time paying a little more attention to what files are being moved around in "helpers' & "lib", and also making sure my existing blesta config file goes untouched. I will report back either way. Thanks for the follow up :)

Sounds good. The config/blesta.php contains all of your DB credentials and a key that will basically lock you out of the system if you don't have it so you don't want to overwrite it, the routes.php file, the .htaccess file if you have made any changes and any 3rd party plugins you may be using. Glad you had a backup!

1 hour ago, evolvewh said:

Sounds good. The config/blesta.php contains all of your DB credentials and a key that will basically lock you out of the system if you don't have it so you don't want to overwrite it, the routes.php file, the .htaccess file if you have made any changes and any 3rd party plugins you may be using. Glad you had a backup!

There is a file in the config folder labeled "blesta-new.php" - assuming this doesn't even need to be uploaded when doing an upgrade, it's just used for new installs.... Gonna try to upgrade now. Fingers crossed.

2 minutes ago, viablethought said:

There is a file in the config folder labeled "blesta-new.php" - assuming this doesn't even need to be uploaded when doing an upgrade, it's just used for new installs.... Gonna try to upgrade now. Fingers crossed.

That file is there for new installs and to help make sure that you don't overwrite your existing blesta.php file if you're upgrading.

20 hours ago, viablethought said:

Yes, for some reason it is not "phoning" home to validate the key. Have a ticket in and working with Paul to get it sorted out hopefully.

For anyone wondering, this is resolved now. I don't know what the issue was, I simply uploaded 4.0.1, ran the upgrade, and the license validated fine.

7 minutes ago, Paul said:

For anyone wondering, this is resolved now. I don't know what the issue was, I simply uploaded 4.0.1, ran the upgrade, and the license validated fine.

Would like to thank Paul for helping me out on this, between this Forum and Blesta's own Support Portal you are guys are champions! Thanks to everyone who attempted to pitch in, was a weird issue but have it pretty much sorted out now.