change module in package

activa

Changing the module for a package would break services that were already issued based on the package. Those services would not have the same meta data as those created after the module change because that meta data is defined by the module.

Being able to safely change the module would require making some changes to the way that data is handled to de-couple services further from the package. Until this is done, the safer scenario is to prevent the module from being changed.

4 hours ago, Paul said:

Changing the module for a package would break services that were already issued based on the package. Those services would not have the same meta data as those created after the module change because that meta data is defined by the module.

Being able to safely change the module would require making some changes to the way that data is handled to de-couple services further from the package. Until this is done, the safer scenario is to prevent the module from being changed.

But you can change the package module ?

is the admin not the user , so if the admin KNOW and is responsible for the action he take , i think no problem .

the debate here is not only preventing changing module, but preventing migrate a big data of services to a new package .

if i change the module package and i break the services is my responsibility, and not a blesta fault, the problem for is that i can't change it if i know what I'm doing . at least make a option to enable/disable this in company setting.

just to note not all the users will change the package module, let say i have a package related to module X , i have worked with it in several month, i have created a new module Y that has the same module metas and the same package metas , i can change all my services in one click shoot if the option is available, but if not , i need to cancel/recreate hundred of services !!! is totally crazy.

14 minutes ago, Blesta Addons said:

But you can change the package module ?

is the admin not the user , so if the admin KNOW and is responsible for the action he take , i think no problem .

the debate here is not only preventing changing module, but preventing migrate a big data of services to a new package .

if i change the module package and i break the services is my responsibility, and not a blesta fault, the problem for is that i can't change it if i know what I'm doing . at least make a option to enable/disable this in company setting.

just to note not all the users will change the package module, let say i have a package related to module X , i have worked with it in several month, i have created a new module Y that has the same module metas and the same package metas , i can change all my services in one click shoot if the option is available, but if not , i need to cancel/recreate hundred of services !!! is totally crazy.

Most people won't know that it would break anything by changing the module. Most people won't write a new module with the same meta fields, and want to switch it over. I agree there should be a way to do this, disabling module changes was the simplest way to stop unaware people from making a change that would negatively impact their installation. If you're able to write a module, it shouldn't be too hard to write a query to update the packages to use the new module. In the future I'd like to create more separation from packages and services, and then we can safely allow the module to be changed.

11 minutes ago, Paul said:

Most people won't know that it would break anything by changing the module. Most people won't write a new module with the same meta fields, and want to switch it over. I agree there should be a way to do this, disabling module changes was the simplest way to stop unaware people from making a change that would negatively impact their installation. If you're able to write a module, it shouldn't be too hard to write a query to update the packages to use the new module. In the future I'd like to create more separation from packages and services, and then we can safely allow the module to be changed.

i'm not talking about my self , as i didn't have any problem to do the task in my installation, but i'm talking about a general idea that was option and now is disappeared . is a (-1) for blesta , specially for users who are migrating from other billing software , after migration they found a lot of packages related to universal module, then when they create their own module , they will be stacked with this behavior, for me is a more money as is a separated task , but for blesta is less converting from trials to active license .

Finally, from a technical view i can't see a separation between packages and services !!!!

9 hours ago, Blesta Addons said:

is a (-1) for blesta

How the hell is it a -1?

Let's say I have a customers using InterWorx, and I change the package to cPanel that will break EVERY service a client has and they won't be able to use it because the service fields don't MATCH they are looking for cpanel_domain instead of interworx_domain, etc.

Why can't you see that? You're a clever guy I would have thought you would have seen the database for service_fields. Sure let people change the module but you then they will fuck a lot up and then come here complaining.

cpanel.png

Install the cPanel module, then install cPanel Extended and see the different field names and how different they are, then tell me Blesta has a -1.

3 hours ago, Licensecart said:

How the hell is it a -1?

Let's say I have a customers using InterWorx, and I change the package to cPanel that will break EVERY service a client has and they won't be able to use it because the service fields don't MATCH they are looking for cpanel_domain instead of interworx_domain, etc.

Why can't you see that? You're a clever guy I would have thought you would have seen the database for service_fields. Sure let people change the module but you then they will fuck a lot up and then come here complaining.

cpanel.png

Install the cPanel module, then install cPanel Extended and see the different field names and how different they are, then tell me Blesta has a -1.

Debate is a proofs and convincing others . not attack others with Dirty words . Next time please take care of your words , we are here to exchange ideas, not listen to a Obscene words . Next Time Respect The OTHER Please even if he has a wrong idea .

this subject is not new , we have already talked about it here .

Taking your example , let imagine the client take the decision to move from interwork to cPanel , or the reverse action , in that case he should do 2 solution :

1 - cancel all the existing service for the client and create another new one, and if he has 200 account , make the calculation how much time he need .

2 - change the package's module, and make a database query to convert the services fields to the new fields, of the course the value will be impact .

what do you prefer if you was in this case ?

My second argument, we are not inventing the wheel, as this feature already exist in others billing software.

22 minutes ago, Blesta Addons said:

1 - cancel all the existing service for the client and create another new one, and if he has 200 account , make the calculation how much time he need .

2 - change the package's module, and make a database query to convert the services fields to the new fields, of the course the value will be impact .

what do you prefer if you was in this case ?

Really stupid really.

1. Easier to copy the package and change the module there and re-order with the NEW package.

2. What if there password isn't correct, what about the username isn't the same, what about the other fields which are needed by the new module or what if the new module needs more fields where do they come from? Thin air? Do they have to ask the owner / client to input the new required fields. And if you don't like my words then fair enough I don't care I state the truth that it's stupid because EACH module / control panels have their own requirements and needs you can't just swap a badge on a car to make it a new car. You can't just change the logo from WHMCS and it becomes Blesta. You can't change the theme for cPanel and it's DirectAdmin. You can't stick a apple picture onto a dell laptop and it's a MacBook.

It's impossible. There has to be a universal feature as it would need to have an importer to check and validate the values not just switch the module and BOOM! it's brand new.

44 minutes ago, Licensecart said:

Really stupid really.

Thanks .

44 minutes ago, Licensecart said:

1. Easier to copy the package and change the module there and re-order with the NEW package.

What about the old services ?

45 minutes ago, Licensecart said:

2. What if there password isn't correct, what about the username isn't the same, what about the other fields which are needed by the new module or what if the new module needs more fields where do they come from? Thin air? Do they have to ask the owner / client to input the new required fields. And if you don't like my words then fair enough I don't care I state the truth that it's stupid because EACH module / control panels have their own requirements and needs you can't just swap a badge on a car to make it a new car. You can't just change the logo from WHMCS and it becomes Blesta. You can't change the theme for cPanel and it's DirectAdmin. You can't stick a apple picture onto a dell laptop and it's a MacBook.

That is the work of the developer .

46 minutes ago, Licensecart said:

It's impossible. There has to be a universal feature as it would need to have an importer to check and validate the values not just switch the module and BOOM! it's brand new.

maybe that should be exist . better than nothing .

if the fact i'm talking from experiences and some concrete case , some people will been moved from * to blesta, and blesta will not have some module at the moment, they will have their package associated with universal module, then they need a blesta module after they got it, they can't use it !!! you think this client will change 1000 or less/more services manually ?!!!! the best option they have is to back again to the old software, for that reason i told is (-1) for blesta . new client that will begin from scratch they ill have not any issue. 

Finally, that has 0 importance for me, i advice only the team about what happen behind the scene.

30 minutes ago, Blesta Addons said:

What about the old services ?

1 hour ago, Licensecart said:

The old services will be on the old module with the old control panel unless the owner makes the new service and cancels the old one.

maybe that should be exist . better than nothing .

Paul said above your rant saying -1 that they plan on doing it more universal.

if the fact i'm talking from experiences and some concrete case , some people will been moved from * to blesta, and blesta will not have some module at the moment, they will have their package associated with universal module, then they need a blesta module after they got it, they can't use it !!! you think this client will change 1000 or less/more services manually ?!!!! the best option they have is to back again to the old software, for that reason i told is (-1) for blesta . new client that will begin from scratch they ill have not any issue. 

Then that's their issue I did it. I had everyone on the "Universal Module" for InterWorx licenses. When I had a module done I cancelled every single service which took about 1 hour or two and created the new service then modify the renewal date. If people want to be lazy then keep it as it is until they get new orders or just close shop because you need to work to get money and you have to work to get successful.

Or even better get a map sorted for the module before they import.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Recently, I have migrated from WHMCS and faced a huge amount of issues.

The biggest issue is mentioned in this thread and I was unable to change the module. I have round about about 200+ services on Universal Module but they were on cPanel/CWP in WHMCS.

So, its a headache to

1. Inactivate/Restrict the existing package
  2. Copy the package, make it activate and add the correct module
  3. Cancel the Service (with universal module)
  4. Manually readd the service with new package (with correct module)

In WHMCS, we can simply change the package which automatically change the module. It will be great if Blesta can change this mechanism.