Multi-Company: Are user registrations shared or completey separate?

blestatester

Question

Hi, I have been testing a multi-company setup with Blesta 4.1.1 and I thought that user registrations were unique and separate from one company to the other.

However:

• I had a user, who is already registered with Company #1, try to make a purchase with Company #2
  • They were unable to register a new account with Company #2 using the same email address that they used with Company #1 --> "The username has already been taken"
  • BUT, they also couldn't use their login credentials from Company #1, at Company #2 --> "No match found for that user/password combination"
  • Trying the "Reset Password" option on Company #2, using the Company #1 credentials  --> "A confirmation email has been sent to the address on record", BUT no such email is actually sent (according to the Blesta logs  +  they didn't receive any reset email; they receive all other system emails just fine)

Note:  They were using email address as Username (does this cause the above?  i.e., is it just the Usernames are shared/used as an index, or is the entire User Registration information?)

Are the user registrations actually separate per company or not?

Thanks in advance

Hello, why not at least Blesta allows the same username in the diferent companies (i mean "username" or "email as username", is the same, the login credentials)? Here are my points:

CUSTOMER:

- Today most services uses email as username. And if they use username, generally you can login using the email too (en user services). We choose alwas for our services, using email as username.

- People generally uses 1 personal email account. If we force using email as username we have problems if an user will signup in 2 or more of the companies.

- People generally uses the same username in all services they use. Same than before.

- Customers  forget the usernames they use for services... they don't forget their email and it only belongs to them. Plus to it they can't restore they username right now in blesta. It adds manual work to us. (of course, both options are ok right now, every business has the option to choose) because we are limited in using the same username (or email as username) in diferent companies..

- Right now if a customer want to use their email account for 2 or more "companies" (as username!, or if we force it) they can't do it. As I said in other posts, it makes not sense from the customer point of view if we are showing them as 2 companies (services, brands, the name you prefer).

- Again I don't think it is hard to implement. Allow the same username in different companies and when they login for example, only search the users in these company for see if exists. There is not security risk at all.

- I think customers don't have to be shared betwen companies. Just have the posibilitiy to use an "username" which is already used in another company. Shared users would be a mess when sending notices for example (because maybe they use just the services of one company)

STAFF:

- I think all this is not a problem for staff as it is for customer. We can decide how organice our staff (we can't decide how customer mind works). If we want to separate staff, we can handle diferent emails accounts for each (or usernames) and make it totally separated. If we want just one account per staff, now is perfect. I don't think any changed it needed here.

Regards!

Hello again,

i wanted to do a question related to this topic (specially for who know a little the blesta structure). I want to use multi-company but this of the "unique username" in all companies is not going to work for me. I didn't get multi company yet so i can't try this. But i really need separate the brands, because 2 or the services i will offer are free and then probably much users and same users using more than 1 brand.

What can happens if I modify all users in database (table users) changing all the usernames (username field) after registration or when sending the form:

For example, in company 1 registers someone with the username "myusername" (or myusername@something, lets take the "myusername" for examples). Then in the register function, i change his username for example to "1#myusername" (lets say in the submit form or something like that, puting something like the company id);

Then, in company 2 registers someone with the username "myusername" and is going to be free to use, because the other one is now "1#myusername". So, when register, i register this one like "2#myusername".

if someone wants to register in compay 1 or comany 2 now using the name "myusername" that will no be possible because "1#myusername" and "2#myusername" are in use.

Then modify the login form and recovery password form for example, so when someone of them want to login or reset password, they use "myusername" and i appned in the form depending in the company they are, 1# or 2# before the username.

Can work something like this? Or there I would need to make more major changes? Can this break some functionality?

Thank you,

regards.

5 minutes ago, Mariano said:

Hello again,

i wanted to do a question related to this topic (specially for who know a little the blesta structure). I want to use multi-company but this of the "unique username" in all companies is not going to work for me. I didn't get multi company yet so i can't try this. But i really need separate the brands, because 2 or the services i will offer are free and then probably much users and same users using more than 1 brand. 

What can happens if I modify all users in database (table users) changing all the usernames (username field) after registration or when sending the form: 

For example, in company 1 registers someone with the username "myusername" (or myusername@something, lets take the "myusername" for examples). Then in the register function, i change his username for example to "1#myusername" (lets say in the submit form or something like that, puting something like the company id);

Then, in company 2 registers someone with the username "myusername" and is going to be free to use, because the other one is now "1#myusername". So, when register, i register this one like "2#myusername".

if someone wants to register in compay 1 or comany 2 now using the name "myusername" that will no be possible because "1#myusername" and "2#myusername" are in use.

Then modify the login form and recovery password form for example, so when someone of them want to login or reset password, they use "myusername" and i appned in the form depending in the company they are, 1# or 2# before the username.

Can work something like this? Or there I would need to make more major changes? Can this break some functionality?

Thank you,

regards.

it can work with your logic .

On 11/18/2018 at 1:00 AM, espservices said:

Any update on this from Blesta team? The issue with same client not able to use the same email as username is keeping me out from buying the multi-company add-on.

I really need this, so I can have the same clients, on separate brands.

Thanks

I have the same problem here. And i was asked why the can't login with the same email in 2 services (luckily people known for now). And idk if is good to modify the core for this, because the updates. I pray every day to see that change in development roadmap ?.

@Paul is there not way to take a look into this and add this feature to the core? (allow customers to use same email as username in 2 companies in a multi-company setup).

Regards!

10 hours ago, Mariano said:

I have the same problem here. And i was asked why the can't login with the same email in 2 services (luckily people known for now). And idk if is good to modify the core for this, because the updates. I pray every day to see that change in development roadmap ?.

@Paul is there not way to take a look into this and add this feature to the core? (allow customers to use same email as username in 2 companies in a multi-company setup).

Regards!

To be clear, what are you asking for exactly?

1. Ability for a single login to have access to multiple companies (Same user/password, client can "switch" companies like Admins)? *or*
  2. The ability to create a new user/pass (which could be the same) for each company? In other words, the login is tied to the company.

Both of these options would maintain separate client records/profiles, meaning that they would not see services on their profile for all companies. They would have to login at the right place, or use a company switch feature like admins. Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, Paul said:

1. Ability for a single login to have access to multiple companies (Same user/password, client can "switch" companies like Admins)? *or*
  2. The ability to create a new user/pass (which could be the same) for each company? In other words, the login is tied to the company.

Both of these options would maintain separate client records/profiles, meaning that they would not see services on their profile for all companies. They would have to login at the right place, or use a company switch feature like admins. Thoughts?

Hello Paul,

Thank you for your answer. Something similar to option 2 is what I mean. The ablility to create a new user for each company using the same username (can use diferent passwords). Not a switch between companies or something like that. Just to be able to use the same username in any of the companies. Not related profiles. Just individual accounts in each company (just in case someone tries to use the same username in another service). 

What i think, If someone registers using the same username in company A and company B, needs to login in company A to access the services in company A, or login in company B to access the services in company B. Is more, if someone uses the username "example" in company A, maybe another person uses the username "example" in company B. So they are diferent person that don't have to share anything.

To sum up, the same username (same person or not, same password or not) can exist in all companies. Access every company separated. Profiles are not related each one. Not switch betwen companies.

All this for the customer users. Staff users work perfect just as they work.

Thank you.

Regards.

14 hours ago, Paul said:

I personally would like to see #1 happen. As mentioned, being an agency that manages multiple accounts for clients, two of the best platforms that showcase this type of functionality is Vimeo & Google. I can sign in with a "single" username and password and access every company through that single login. Then in the account dropdown, just have an option to switch companies - https://screencast.com/t/Izqzuv14DTNd

13 hours ago, Mariano said:

Hello Paul,

Thank you for your answer. Something similar to option 2 is what I mean. The ablility to create a new user for each company using the same username (can use diferent passwords). Not a switch between companies or something like that. Just to be able to use the same username in any of the companies. Not related profiles. Just individual accounts in each company (just in case someone tries to use the same username in another service). 

What i think, If someone registers using the same username in company A and company B, needs to login in company A to access the services in company A, or login in company B to access the services in company B. Is more, if someone uses the username "example" in company A, maybe another person uses the username "example" in company B. So they are diferent person that don't have to share anything.

To sum up, the same username (same person or not, same password or not) can exist in all companies. Access every company separated. Profiles are not related each one. Not switch betwen companies.

All this for the customer users. Staff users work perfect just as they work.

Thank you.

Regards.

Letting someone create username "example" at Company A, then letting someone completely different use that same exact username "example" at Company B - you're asking for a whole world of trouble and it would be super confusing to account managers that handle the accounts. Then what happens if username "example" at Company A wants to sign up for Company B - but now they have to create a whole new username and password because someone already used it, right? How is that making it easier?

Profiles are not related each one. Not switch betwen companies. <-- Then you are simply asking to create a new account for any/every company? Isn't this the default behavior right now or am I missing something?

1 hour ago, viablethought said:

Letting someone create username "example" at Company A, then letting someone completely different use that same exact username "example" at Company B - you're asking for a whole world of trouble and it would be super confusing to account managers that handle the accounts. Then what happens if username "example" at Company A wants to sign up for Company B - but now they have to create a whole new username and password because someone already used it, right? How is that making it easier?

I don't think so. Of course, is my point of view, i don't think because ("taking in account we use email as username", from the staff perspective):

- In our case, honestly, never paid attention to usernames. We identify customers by number or name. Who minds the username is the customer that needs it to login.

- Rignt now in Blesta multi-company everything is separated. So staff needs to go to inside the admin of company A for see the company A tickets, invoices, services... so the customer is the customer inside company A, regardless of the username.

In change from a customer perspective is more confusing:

- He signups in company A using his email. He doesn't mind his name and customer number. But he needs to remember the email (username) for login or restore his password.

- He wants to signup now in company B, but is says his username (email) is in use or exists (because exsists in company A). So he tries to restore the password and the discover the username doesn't exists. So, he asks you if the account exists or not, why can't use his email if never signed up before in company B. This point doesn't make any sense.

If happens what you say, that someone signed up in company A using the username "example" (again, in our case is the email) and the someone signs in company B using the username "example", the second one did come first in company B and wins. In our case as force email as username, who owns the email account owns the companies accounts because they can get access to it. So if you use someone else email, you loose the account at that moment. (an email verification would make it perfect).

but now they have to create a whole new username and password because someone already used it, right?

Then you are simply asking to create a new account for any/every company? Isn't this the default behavior right now or am I missing something?

Right now how it is, you have to create a new user anyway for evey company. Even if the username "exists or not" in that company. With this change at least you can use the same username if doesn't exists in that company. You go from nothing so something.

Anyway, is complex. Not all business runs in the same way. But i am convinced this change that I propose is the right solution from how it works now, fix the no sense error about the pseudo existence of the username, and make the customer life easier. All the rest can stay like it is.

Regards.