Can I upgrade from version 4.0.1 to 4.1.10 by just PATCHING an existing install

turner2f

Question

Hello.

Is it possible to upgrade all the way from version 4.0.1  to  4.1.10   by just incrementally PATCHING   an existing install ?

I am asking because I made some code or CSS changes to the design of the page templates .

I figure if I use the Patches ( instead of the upgrades folders ) , that I could AVOID OVERWRITING the files that I made CSS or aesthetic changes to.

Is this possible ?

6 answers to this question

I think you mean 4.10.1? There is no 4.1.10. The answer is NO, patches are for patch releases only. Versions work like this MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH, so only when the PATCH versions changes can a patch be applied. e.g. 4.10.0->4.10.2.

4.0.1->4.10.2 is a MINOR version upgrade, so the full release of 4.10.2 will be required, and files must be overwritten.

@SmallWeb   and  @Paul  Thanks.

1)  - I will definitely be making DB and File backups

2) - Being that going from 4.0.1 - -- > 4.10.2 is a MINOR version upgrade, should I just upgrade DIRECTLY to version v 4.10.2 ?

OR . . .

2b) - Should I upgrade incrementally " from-version-to-version " ?

If yes, could I incrementally skip some  versions such as going from 4.0.1 - - -> 4.3 - - -> 4.6 - - - > 4.9 - - - > 4.10

And, IF I have to upgrade incrementally, are there any preparations that I would have to make between each upgrade ?

15 hours ago, turner2f said:

2b) - Should I upgrade incrementally " from-version-to-version " ?

If yes, could I incrementally skip some  versions such as going from 4.0.1 - - -> 4.3 - - -> 4.6 - - - > 4.9 - - - > 4.10

And, IF I have to upgrade incrementally, are there any preparations that I would have to make between each upgrade ?

Since 4.0->4.10 is 9 minor versions, it is more risky than if it were 2 or 3 versions. The risk is that of a timeout when running database migrations via /admin/upgrade. So, you can technically go direct from 4.0->4.10, but it might be wise to upgrade several times to avoid a timeout. e.g. 4.0->4.3->4.7->4.10 or something like that. It's up to you, you just want to have that backup handy. :)