Support Manager - Malformed Ticket Note In Blesta When Replied From Gmail

MartyIX

Hello guys,

Describe the issue you're experiencing. + Provide detailed steps necessary to reproduce the issue.

1) A customer added a new ticket to Blesta with some text (no text formatting)

2) Being a department manager I received an email with the text from the customer.

3) I replied via gmail.com (a single sentence, no text formatting)

4) I see in Blesta (/admin/plugin/support_manager/admin_tickets/reply/10/) some additional text that I did not write as the answer - it seems that the content of the email was not parsed correctly.

The text that is superfluous is "On Sat ...".

List any generated errors. (The "Oh Noes" error pages are very helpful.)

N/A

Include the URL the error occurred on, relative to the installation path, ie "/admin/login".

/admin/plugin/support_manager/admin_tickets/reply/10/

Server:

Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter

Blesta 3.0.3

PHP Version 5.4.10

MySQL 5.5.29

post-2949-0-75522000-1380987133_thumb.pn

Blesta strips out content from the reply that is quoted, and the "On Sat... wrote:" text isn't quoted. We may be able to take a look directly above the quoted text for a similarly formatted string, but this may vary from mail client to mail client and a solution may not work across the board.

The alternative is that we ask users to "Reply above this line" and remove everything below it. We opted originally not to do that because users may ignore that.

Open to suggestions

I see. When I reply to an email in my email client. There is always this line that introduces the quoted part.

For example to emails from your forum it is

"Blesta Community Forums wrote:"

The obvious problem here is that if user does not use English localization to work with then the text is completely different.

Gmail for example puts this there

2013/10/4 Name <mail@domain.com>

However, seznam.cz goes differently, it puts this line in front of the old content

---------- Původní zpráva ----------

and does not quote the old content at all.

I looked at some of my services for which I communicate with support using emails and ticket system.

One solution is that they keep whole conversation intact (then don't remove a thing). And this is works perfectly for emails because when I reply to that incoming email from my email (and not online ticket system interface), I do see whole conversation history, which is good. They also use "do not reply below this line" and they have this there probably to help them parse the message before it is put into the ticket system. In their ticket system each reply has only its text and not the history. This works very well and I would be happy to see this in Blesta. A typical email from their support looks like this:

New message (number 4) from Name2 person.

---------------------- Name1 on Date ------------------------

message3

body3

---------------------- Name2 on Date ------------------------

message2

body2

---------------------- Name1 on Date ------------------------

message1

body1

So, my vote for

- using "Reply above this line" or "Do not reply below this line" (but you will still have to deal with the first line above that line, that "XYZ wrote" line)

- saving only the actual message, not full history to ticket system (Blesta does this now)

- sending whole history via email (or possibly some limited history, like last 10 posts or something configurable)