Starting A Test Run With Live Data

FRH Dave

Question

I'm about to try a test run with live data to remedy the credits discussion from the WHMCS beta importer thread.  It occurred to me that an excellent failsafe would be to mass set all email addresses to my personal address.  This would not only ensure that no clients get emails, but would also allow me to execute tests to see what happens (our payment and module gateways are disabled for testing).

Is there a quick and dirty database hack to mass set all client email addresses?  I'll be re-importing the client database before going live, so data corruption isn't a concern here.

2 answers to this question

I don't have a WHMCS install at the moment so I'm not sure what the actual table/column is so you will need to change those to the correct name...but this should work:

update tablename set clientemailcolumn = your@email.com

of course test this on the test database, and not the live database :D

and this isn't always an issue, but depending on your database/phpmyadmin settings...if it doesn't allow you to use that (some settings prevent using a query to change all records in a column), use the one below that will make it think it's not affecting everything even though it actually is :)

update tablename
set clientemailcolumn = your@email.com
where 1 = 1

I don't have a WHMCS install at the moment so I'm not sure what the actual table/column is so you will need to change those to the correct name...but this should work:

update tablename set clientemailcolumn = your@email.com

of course test this on the test database, and not the live database :D

and this isn't always an issue, but depending on your database/phpmyadmin settings...if it doesn't allow you to use that (some settings prevent using a query to change all records in a column), use the one below that will make it think it's not affecting everything even though it actually is :)

update tablename
set clientemailcolumn = your@email.com
where 1 = 1

Thanks!  I'll give that a shot.