Whmcs Migrator: Existing System?

FRH Dave

Question

Is it still recommended that the WHMCS migrator only be used to import into fresh installations?  What are the implications of not doing so?

I'm asking because my migration process at this point is to install Blesta, log which configuration steps need done (modules, payment gateways, email templates, etc), re-install Blesta (or revert to a "freshly installed" backup), put WHMCS in maintenance mode, pull over WHMCS data to Blesta, re-enact all the Blesta configuration steps, and go live.  It seems like the import process shouldn't be touching any settings outside of packages, so it would seem logical to assume I can configure Blesta as I want it and then pull over the WHMCS data.

But I'm also wondering about down the road.  If we decide to buy another hosting company that uses WHMCS, I'll need to be able to import their data into our live Blesta installation. 

3 answers to this question

I don't think there will be any issues with importing in terms of making configuration changes first. It's best if there is no customer data though, and the importer will install the necessary extensions. However you do it, you should do a dry run to ensure everything works as expected. I also recommend keeping a database backup from the initial fresh installation, and one post-configuration so that you can easily roll it back.

If you buy another hosting company and want to import that data, you would be able to import it easily into a new company within the same Blesta installation. Importing into the same company could be an issue because the same customer numbers are likely to already exist and would cause an error. There may be other issues as well, and Cody could elaborate on those.

Thanks.  I can see the multi-company integration being a little tricky, as I'll have to stay on top of all the settings.  Fast forward five years and I've purchased six companies; if I want to change a package or an email template, I have to change it seven times.

If a long-term goal for the migrator could include some additional intelligence to parse the user list and insert the newly-imported customers into the first available block of open user IDs, that would be helpful.  There's no real harm if customer #123 in WHMCS becomes customer #4567 in Blesta.

Thanks.  I can see the multi-company integration being a little tricky, as I'll have to stay on top of all the settings.  Fast forward five years and I've purchased six companies; if I want to change a package or an email template, I have to change it seven times.

If a long-term goal for the migrator could include some additional intelligence to parse the user list and insert the newly-imported customers into the first available block of open user IDs, that would be helpful.  There's no real harm if customer #123 in WHMCS becomes customer #4567 in Blesta.

That's certainly a possibility. It's just not something we've given a lot of thought to yet, because not many people have asked about it but I can definitely see it being a useful feature.