Blesta Username As Solusvm Username?

Ken

It's a good idea but would also cause conflicts. as blesta has 2 login methods.

*Username

*Email

That should not matter.  If the email address is the username then it should use the email address since it's the username. You can check the users table in the database and see that there's not really any difference between the two methods.  The `username` field in the users table displays either 'username' or the 'email address'.

Now a valid concern is if the user changes their email address in Blesta, will it change in SolusVM? Which was going to bring me to my next question. But I really could careless about using email addresses at this point.  In fact I think I've made the feature request to let us enforce that option across the whole company at one point.

Also consider this... the shared login plugin that Cody wrote only works if the username of the control panel you want to integrate with has the same username as Blesta.  Which is a big part of why I'm making this request.

Changing the username would require an update to the module to fetch the client and then use his username, setting it as the SolusVM username. This may or may not affect existing SolusVM services when you attempt to perform an action on their service.

Potential problems could arise when a user changes their username. And this is why we generate one unique to their account regardless of that. If a user changes their username, no module, like SolusVM, will change service details because of it. Performing actions on a SolusVM service will then need to also consider whether the username changed.

It may also be possible for someone to change their Blesta username, and then someone else comes along and takes their old one. If a client had a SolusVM service with username "abc123", but later changed their Blesta username, but not their SolusVM username, a new client can come along, use the username "abc123" and create a SolusVM service. Now 2 services for separate clients are under the same SolusVM account. Additional logic would need to be added to resolve these kinds of conflicts, if possible.

Changing the username would require an update to the module to fetch the client and then use his username, setting it as the SolusVM username. This may or may not affect existing SolusVM services when you attempt to perform an action on their service.

Potential problems could arise when a user changes their username. And this is why we generate one unique to their account regardless of that. If a user changes their username, no module, like SolusVM, will change service details because of it. Performing actions on a SolusVM service will then need to also consider whether the username changed.

It may also be possible for someone to change their Blesta username, and then someone else comes along and takes their old one. If a client had a SolusVM service with username "abc123", but later changed their Blesta username, but not their SolusVM username, a new client can come along, use the username "abc123" and create a SolusVM service. Now 2 services for separate clients are under the same SolusVM account. Additional logic would need to be added to resolve these kinds of conflicts, if possible.

Blesta users can't change their username from what I can tell only admin can, unless you mean when email addresses are used as username like Clamhost mentioned. You are right that if usernames are the same they should be changed on both sides or not at all. I really don't like that Blesta lets the user decide which username method to use as I think that should be controlled by admin.  That's a feature request that I'd be willing to make if I haven't already.

In the mean time is there a module edit that I can do that would provision the account using the username?

Blesta users can't change their username from what I can tell only admin can, unless you mean when email addresses are used as username like Clamhost mentioned. You are right that if usernames are the same they should be changed on both sides or not at all. I really don't like that Blesta lets the user decide which username method to use as I think that should be controlled by admin.  That's a feature request that I'd be willing to make if I haven't already.

In the interim you could just edit the registration form or so and remove that field.

In the interim you could just edit the registration form or so and remove that field.

Exactly, so that's why I want to see if the SolusVM module can easily be edited to use usernames instead it's current convention.