Ability To Store Test And Prod Api Keys In Stripe Gateway Module

mdoering

Would like to see the addition of a Test and Live key field on the stripe payment gateway module page with a drop down or radio button to set the currently active key.  I find myself constantly flipping between the two and having an easy way to do this would be great.  Additionally, it would be helpful if there was a persistent alert bar at the top of the admin page similar to maintenance mode that showed that the Stripe API was currently in Test mode.

One other thought is to possibly add a checkbox on the admin view for a client to mark them as a "test" user so that only transactions from that client are processed with the test API key... This would be far more flexible and would allow testing on the live system without interrupting legitimate transactions.

Would like to see the addition of a Test and Live key field on the stripe payment gateway module page with a drop down or radio button to set the currently active key.  I find myself constantly flipping between the two and having an easy way to do this would be great.  Additionally, it would be helpful if there was a persistent alert bar at the top of the admin page similar to maintenance mode that showed that the Stripe API was currently in Test mode.

Curious as to why you find yourself constantly switching between the test and live accounts. I find generally people don't bother with test accounts unless verifying payments actually work prior to going live. After the system is live there's no need to test any longer.

Perhaps you'd be better off testing in a development environment, as opposed to your live installation?

Well for one I can't spring for a second blesta license right now to stand up a dev environment... But even if I had a dev environment, having a test user that can process test transactions on the live system is an important asset when rolling code from dev to prod to ensure everything works as expected.

Let's put it this way, I'm a systems engineer at a bank with several million customers, we have full dev, test, staging, and prod environments, and we still use test users on our production websites as we do our QA testing after rolling changes to prod or failing back to our main data center from our standby site.

Well for one I can't spring for a second blesta license right now to stand up a dev environment... But even if I had a dev environment, having a test user that can process test transactions on the live system is an important asset when rolling code from dev to prod to ensure everything works as expected.

Let's put it this way, I'm a systems engineer at a bank with several million customers, we have full dev, test, staging, and prod environments, and we still use test users on our production websites as we do our QA testing after rolling changes to prod or failing back to our main data center from our standby site.

That's interesting. Seems a bit redundant to test on both staging and live if you ask me. After all, then what purpose do the testing and staging servers serve? Perhaps that's just my particular engineering bias, coming from the notion that you shouldn't ever go into production if you haven't already satisfied 100% of your tests.

Because 100% of our tests include things like QA when failing over to a standby site, QA when recovering back to our primary site, and performing QA when rolling code to production...  There's a lot that can get missed when you start dealing with systems that span vlans, subnets, and data centers.  The only way to ensure the best possible experience for users is to impersonate one, up to and including arguably the most important part of the business model... spending money.

I'm not trying to start an argument or debate on the topic, just trying to put in a feature request...

Because 100% of our tests include things like QA when failing over to a standby site, QA when recovering back to our primary site, and performing QA when rolling code to production...  There's a lot that can get missed when you start dealing with systems that span vlans, subnets, and data centers.  The only way to ensure the best possible experience for users is to impersonate one, up to and including arguably the most important part of the business model... spending money.

I'm not trying to start an argument or debate on the topic, just trying to put in a feature request...

Gotcha. I'm just fascinated with this type of deployment strategy. Have you considered using automated use testing with something like Selenium?