Voiding An Invoice

FRH Dave

Question

To get our WHMCS migration moving, I might just go back and void all the overpaid invoices that are popping up as due.  But I want to make sure I understand how this works in Blesta.

A client has an invoice that was due back in mid 2012.  In Blesta, for whatever reason, this shows that they owe $.01.  I really don't care about the how or why, since their account is otherwise fully satisfied as of today, so I'm just going to void the invoice.

If I void / cancel a past unpaid / partially paid invoice in WHMCS, WHMCS will consider that invoice unpaid forever and will repeatedly suspend the user's account for nonpayment.  Does that happen in Blesta, or does Blesta simply consider the invoice totally dead?

If I void the invoice in Blesta, will Blesta attempt to automatically refund the payment that was already applied?

2 answers to this question

A voided invoice is completely dead in Blesta. It will not be used to determine if a service should be suspended or not, and no actions can be performed on it, other than unvoiding it -- which would return it to a normal invoice.

When voiding an invoice, any payments applied to the invoice will be returned to the transaction as a credit. It won't try to refund or void the transaction.

So, the only issue I can see you having is that voiding an invoice will result in a credit if a payment was applied to the invoice. There are several ways you can handle this.

1. Void the transaction in Blesta only (not using gateway)
  2. Create an invoice to balance the account out and negate the credit.

When we imported our data, I had a handful of accounts that were imported from Blesta 1.x to Blesta 2.x that had issues when they were imported into Blesta 3, and I had to use the above methods to correct them. It wasn't ideal, but it worked.

I tried to void the invoice, but Blesta won't allow it because "a payment has already been applied to this invoice".  After further review, this is another case where the client overpaid an invoice and the amount was credited forward:

Original invoice amount:  $5.00

Account credit applied:  $4.99 (after this transaction, account has $0.00 credit)

New balance due:  $0.01

Payment received:  $5.00 (PayPal subscription)

Invoice satisfied, account now has $4.99 credit

For this particular customer, this pattern repeats from February 2012 to August 2012, when they finally used the credit.  However, in Blesta, only the February and March invoices show as open.  Shouldn't the rest show as open too?