SMTP mail settings vs PHP

HostPhoton

Question

Hi, I noticed it recommends smtp when selecting mail settings and I did notice my welcome emails are ending up in the spam box. I have it currently set to php. What SMTP can I set up that makes sense? Do i use google or something? I am fairly new, would love a couple options for a noob like me. Thank you!

Also, my send from email is sales@billing.mydomain.com (becaue billing.mydomain.com is the subdomain I connected blesta with), but that is not my actual email address. It is sales@mydomain.com. So do you recommend i keep that email address or should I replace it with my actual email? And what happens if the client replies to that email?

Thank you

Screensho42.png

3 answers to this question

8 hours ago, HostPhoton said:

Hi, I noticed it recommends smtp when selecting mail settings and I did notice my welcome emails are ending up in the spam box. I have it currently set to php. What SMTP can I set up that makes sense? Do i use google or something? I am fairly new, would love a couple options for a noob like me. Thank you!

Also, my send from email is sales@billing.mydomain.com (becaue billing.mydomain.com is the subdomain I connected blesta with), but that is not my actual email address. It is sales@mydomain.com. So do you recommend i keep that email address or should I replace it with my actual email? And what happens if the client replies to that email?

Thank you

Screensho42.png

Also under departments what email handling should I choose? I've attached pic to show you these settings as well. 

Thank you252543443_Screenshot(12).png.399dac128483a6a340365ec286809e7d.png

If you have an SMTP server for your domain, you can use that. If not, services like Mailgun will work. You may want to update all your email templates under Settings > Company > Emails so that they are addresses @yourdomain.com whatever that is, rather than a subdomain. Blesta auto detects on install based on your domain, if it's a sub-domain then usually it must be updated.

For importing emails into tickets, most use IMAP as the option for email handling. Piping will only work if your MX record goes to the same server you are running Blesta on and can create a forwarder to pipe email to an application (Blesta). IMAP and POP can check external mail servers and import mail from there.

53 minutes ago, Paul said:

If you have an SMTP server for your domain, you can use that. If not, services like Mailgun will work. You may want to update all your email templates under Settings > Company > Emails so that they are addresses @yourdomain.com whatever that is, rather than a subdomain. Blesta auto detects on install based on your domain, if it's a sub-domain then usually it must be updated.

For importing emails into tickets, most use IMAP as the option for email handling. Piping will only work if your MX record goes to the same server you are running Blesta on and can create a forwarder to pipe email to an application (Blesta). IMAP and POP can check external mail servers and import mail from there.

That helps big time Paul! ty!