Exchange Rates By Google Finance

MartyIX

Question

Hello,

I examined Google Finance exchange rate processor (/components/exchange_rates/google_finance/google_finance.php) and it seems that it no longer works because the URL http://www.google.com/ig/calculator is not working any more. I believe that it was shutted down together with iGoogle by Google.

Could anybody confirm this?

Thank you!

Blesta version: 3.0.6

13 answers to this question

Sorry, not a good argument for me, or I do not understand your point.

Unit testing is common practice and it seems especially important to automatically and periodically execute tests that verify whether third party components that one has no control of work properly.

It is not a good idea to write a working code once and not to check it again in case it relies on third parties.

Not only these and similar practices allows developers to quickly react to new problems it also makes the whole project easier to maintain and faster to develop. Things like unit tests, debug modes, logging etc.

Sorry, not a good argument for me, or I do not understand your point.

Unit testing is common practice and it seems especially important to automatically and periodically execute tests that verify whether third party components that one has no control of work properly.

It is not a good idea to write a working code once and not to check it again in case it relies on third parties.

Not only these and similar practices allows developers to quickly react to new problems it also makes the whole project easier to maintain and faster to develop. Things like unit tests, debug modes, logging etc.

You don't understand, it's not Blesta's fault Google changed their API recently.. they don't work for Google.

I am very glad that the issue was fixed that quickly, thank you for that and no doubt about good active response here.

Besides unit test, it would be nice if Blesta did not silently overcome failures. This is not the only case. There are many code parts in Blesta which look like this:

result := functionCall();
if (result)
{
  do the stuff
}

instead of like this:

result := functionCall();
if (result)
{
  do the stuff
}
ELSE TELL ADMIN WE HAVE A PROBLEM

So even if the issue is missed by devs, which can happen, the users (admins) will know just after the problem occurred and can report to devs and/or act otherwise. But if we do not know that some part is broken, we could run into hard troubles, depending on the character of the issue. Not knowing is the worst evil. You expect everything works as it should, but it does not. This could cost us a lot if circumstances were extraordinary bad.

Paul: This is not an issue of your dedication to fix issues. The issue was resolved very fast, thank you for that. Yet, a unit test is a cheap way how to assure that Blesta still works with minimal amount of work. The source code seems in good shape to create a unit test, so I don't see a reason why there should NOT be a unit test to avoid troubles like this. 

Paul: This is not an issue of your dedication to fix issues. The issue was resolved very fast, thank you for that. Yet, a unit test is a cheap way how to assure that Blesta still works with minimal amount of work. The source code seems in good shape to create a unit test, so I don't see a reason why there should NOT be a unit test to avoid troubles like this. 

I've created the unit tests to process all exchange rate processors. We'll be moving to a daily build process soon which will help us catch these types of issues right away.