Domain registration stopped working

Jason

Question

All of a sudden, I can no longer transfer in a domain name in Blesta.

I add the domain transfer info like normal and now it is giving me the message, "This domain cannot be transferred at this time."

I can transfer a domain directly from Namesilo. Once a domain is registered, I can add it in Blesta as long as I don't select "use Module" when adding it. Once the domain is added, I can interact with Namesilo inside of Blesta to adjust the WHOIS, etc. I just simply can't register it. In other words, the API is connecting fine to adjust domains, but I am unable to transfer/register them.

There is no hint why it won't register and it is happening on more than one domain name. Is there a way to track down a reason "Why" a domain can't be transferred? I have been using the NameSilo module since before there was a domain manager, so this issue is new and I have no idea why it is happening.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
Jason

6 answers to this question

Just in case anyone ever runs into this type of issue and is looking for a solution. The problem ended up being an issue on Namesilo's side which they have fixed.

We were able to figure out the issue by determining that:
1. The domains at the old registrar could indeed be transferred by manually transferring one of them into Namesilo. Thus eliminating the issue of the old registrar not releasing the domain.
2. We sent a properly formatted API call via SSH to Namesilo bypassing Blesta. We grabbed the error code/issue from the Namesilo API response.
3. The response was basically saying we had already started the transfer when we had not. So we contacted Namesilo's support and they were able to fix the issue on their end.

Thanks to @knownhost for their help on the server side narrowing down what the error code actually meant (FYI, having the actual error code/description listed in the Blesta admin side would have saved a lot of time with diagnosing this issue) and thanks to @namesilo for their help fixing the API issue.

What version of Blesta are you running? Namesilo requires that you have a payment ID and a verified payment method to register/renew/transfer domains over the API. That is the most common reason it does not work as expected. It is possible to manually renew/transfer/register domains with Namesilo through their interface without a verified payment ID, but not over their API.

5 hours ago, Paul said:

What version of Blesta are you running? Namesilo requires that you have a payment ID and a verified payment method to register/renew/transfer domains over the API. That is the most common reason it does not work as expected. It is possible to manually renew/transfer/register domains with Namesilo through their interface without a verified payment ID, but not over their API.

I was using 5.1 but I upgraded to 5.2 today to try and see if that would fix it, but unfortunately I am still getting the same error.
Is there a log file that will tell me "why" it isn't registering the domain name? For example, what the response from the API is?

Or can I capture what it is sending to the API to try and diagnose what the error is? NameSilo offered to look at the API call, but I don't know what Blesta is sending them, so they can't diagnose it on their end.

On 1/24/2022 at 9:33 PM, Jason said:

I was using 5.1 but I upgraded to 5.2 today to try and see if that would fix it, but unfortunately I am still getting the same error.
Is there a log file that will tell me "why" it isn't registering the domain name? For example, what the response from the API is?

Or can I capture what it is sending to the API to try and diagnose what the error is? NameSilo offered to look at the API call, but I don't know what Blesta is sending them, so they can't diagnose it on their end.

The API response is logged to the module log under Tools > Logs > Module tab. Click the row for the API call to expand it and see the raw input/output from the API call. Usually the output will provide more information.

If there is some kind of PHP error, it would be logged to the file logs under ../logs_blesta (Path defined under Settings > System > General) so you may want to check this also. Only errors written during the registration attempt would be relevant.

On 1/27/2022 at 7:22 PM, Paul said:

The API response is logged to the module log under Tools > Logs > Module tab. Click the row for the API call to expand it and see the raw input/output from the API call. Usually the output will provide more information.

If there is some kind of PHP error, it would be logged to the file logs under ../logs_blesta (Path defined under Settings > System > General) so you may want to check this also. Only errors written during the registration attempt would be relevant.

This is super helpful! Thanks for the info.