Sell Domains

bins

Question

Just setting up domains (using Netim plugin).

Can I just confirm that I have to either:

1 - set up a package per domain
Or
2 - set up a package with a price point and include all relevant domains in that package? 

If this is correct, can I bulk upload all domains and create packages per domain/group, otherwise it is a very long long input process.

FYI WHMCS suggested uploading direct to the database, which worked on their system.

Also, if I wanted to offer a couple generic domains to offer a free site and give clients a subdomain (I am using Virtualmin), is this possible?

12 answers to this question

On 12/11/2023 at 6:17 AM, bins said:

Just setting up domains (using Netim plugin).

Can I just confirm that I have to either:

1 - set up a package per domain
Or
2 - set up a package with a price point and include all relevant domains in that package? 

If this is correct, can I bulk upload all domains and create packages per domain/group, otherwise it is a very long long input process.

FYI WHMCS suggested uploading direct to the database, which worked on their system.

Also, if I wanted to offer a couple generic domains to offer a free site and give clients a subdomain (I am using Virtualmin), is this possible?

I am not familiar with Netim, is that a third party registrar? In modern versions of Blesta, domains must be handled through the Domain Manager, under Packages > Domain Options. If Netim was built for an old version of Blesta, it is not compatible with the Domain Manager. An easy way to tell is to go to Packages > Domain Options > Registrars and see if it is listed.

The domain manager handles the packages in the backend, under Packages > Domain Options > TLD Pricing is where you create TLDs (Or under Import TLDs import them), set the registrar module to use for the TLD, and set pricing in a pricing matrix for 1-10 years.

If the Netim module supports pricing import like most other registrars, then you can set your markup amounts for register/renew/transfer under Configuration and then import all the TLDs you want to under Import TLDs. Blesta will create all the TLD packages and set all the pricing for all the TLDs you choose.

On 12/12/2023 at 5:03 PM, Paul said:

The domain manager handles the packages in the backend, under Packages > Domain Options > TLD Pricing is where you create TLDs (Or under Import TLDs import them), set the registrar module to use for the TLD, and set pricing in a pricing matrix for 1-10 years.

This is working

then you can set your markup amounts

But I do not want a markup.  I would like to set pricing per domain, so they can be set to a real price point e.g. 9.99, 14.99, not a random marked up value.

The domain manager handles the packages in the backend, under Packages > Domain Options > TLD Pricing is where you create TLDs

In WHMCS, the equivalent location to set prices would be here.

7 hours ago, bins said:

But I do not want a markup.  I would like to set pricing per domain, so they can be set to a real price point e.g. 9.99, 14.99, not a random marked up value.

Packages > Domain Options > TLD Pricing, click "Edit" next to the TLD you want to set pricing for. You can enter whatever pricing you want. The price sync feature is for those that want to quickly update all their pricing. If you don't want to do that, or your registrar module doesn't support it, then manually setting pricing here is the way to go.

Excellent, thanks.

Updating 1000 tlds is going to be an issue. 

With WHMCS they advised to directly update the DB, which I did, without issue.  To do this with Blesta, which table would I use - I can't see the relevant fields in domains_tlds or domains_domains.  

3 hours ago, bins said:

Excellent, thanks.

Updating 1000 tlds is going to be an issue. 

With WHMCS they advised to directly update the DB, which I did, without issue.  To do this with Blesta, which table would I use - I can't see the relevant fields in domains_tlds or domains_domains.  

You maintain a separate excel/csv file with all TLD pricing? How is that updated? All pricing for everything in Blesta is stored in the pricings table, but you can't look at the records there and immediately know what TLD a record is for. It should be possible to write a query to export the pricings.id for all terms and TLDs to add as a column to your CSV, then with that relationship, you could update the pricing directly in the pricings table.

Alternatively, you could update the registrar module you're using (if it's just 1) and change the way the price sync's so that instead of pulling it from the registrar API, it pulls it from your CSV file. That would allow better automation, because you could leave the automatic price sync enabled with 0 markup, and just replace your CSV file and it would update pricing on schedule.

Via Netim (the only module I am using), I have downloaded their pricing and put TLD's into price groups (based on their cost) - this allows some marketing claims/offers to be made.

I would expect to somehow get those prices onto the db and then update changes individually (there are never many to do at anyone time!). 

I can probably manage to do your first solution (similar to WHMCS), just need to work out the relationship!   I cannot see the common field in domains.tld and pricing, except company_id - would that be via domains_packages?

The package_pricing table contains the relationship between the Package ID and the pricings table. packages.module_id contains the module ID which links it to a particular module. package_names contains the name of the Package, which matches the TLD likeu ".com" in package_names.name. I hope that helps, I can't write a query for you but one of our devs or a community developer may be able to do that via our Discord developer channel.

Trying to work it it - will concentrate at the weekend!

On 12/11/2023 at 2:17 PM, bins said:

Any thoughts on this bit?

1 hour ago, bins said:

Trying to work it it - will concentrate at the weekend!

Any thoughts on this bit?

It's possible with the cPanel module, but would require a modification to do this with Virtualmin UNLESS you just tell the user to enter a subdomain at one of your domains. You can tell them to enter something.domain1.com or something.domain2.com, if they do it correctly then it should work, but the module itself doesn't support selecting a predefined domain like the cPanel module does.

19 minutes ago, bins said:

Thanks for the quick response.

I am moving away from WHMCS/CPanel, hence the questions (I currently have this feature working).  

Is this something I could pay someone to do here or would it be Virtualmin side?

Adding that sub-domain functionality to Virtualmin would probably be about $500 USD to sponsor (We make the change, provide the updated module to you, and give you a shout out on our blog when we ship it with Blesta). This would add the same functionality on the Package configuration as cPanel has for setting your own domain/domains to offer subdomains at, then the user can select the domain and enter their desired subdomain during checkout. The cPanel module checks if there is a DNS record available to determine availability, if you are using Virtualmin DNS servers, then this should work similarly.

Alternatively, there are 3rd party developers that could make this change to the Virtualmin module, they can usually be found on our Discord.