Question On How Invoicing Works

gutterboy

Question

I'm just trying to work out the best way to use Blesta with our current system.

Currently we keep a record of all user debits and also a "balance"; when we send invoices out at the moment they are just for the users outstanding balance. So if for January they are owing $55.00 we will send them an invoice for $55.00; if they didn't pay this and tallied up another $15.00 for February then the next invoice they receive will be for $70.00.

From what I can understand with Blesta so far it works by sending the user invoices for a specified period only; so in the situation above they would receive two separate invoices for $55.00 and $15.00 respectively.

My question is...... does the $15.00 one in the example above contain any kind of "overdue" note for the $55.00 overdue one?

Is this the only way it can be done? If so, I would have to make some changes to our system so we are only sending out invoices for new costs incurred in the most previous billing period and not their total outstanding.

6 answers to this question

This depends on how the invoice template displays content on the invoice. There is certainly a 'previous due' amount that can be shown, but I *think* a single invoice only shows the current amount due on that invoice as the total--at least for the default invoice template. You can always check out the demo to confirm.

Ok, thanks! Where do I go about finding the invoice templates in admin?

Also, I assume I will need to change our system so that it doesn't just send out the overdue balance via Blesta as stated above? (as this will end up with multiple invoices for the overdue balance); I will need to make it so it only sends out new charges each billing period correct?

The invoice template is a drop-down to select one of the two available invoice templates, either the default or the quickbooks one. There is no UI to change the data as shown in the templates. You'll need to update the invoice template code or create a new one if you're looking to make those kinds of modifications.