Question About E-Mail

EidolonHost

Question

So,

Since it's pretty obvious that we can't do multi-department emails with SMTP, I was screwing around in the Google Apps Admin dashboard, right? Well, while I was checking things out e-mail related, I noticed that the e-mail accounts also had the ability to do aliases.

Which means if I wanted to use a system-wide SMTP e-mail address, say in the form of systems[at]eidolonhost.com, I could attach aliases to that e-mail, such as support[at]eidolonhost.com, security and so on and so forth.

Now... my real question here is, does Blesta support importing e-mails from SMTP accounts with aliases and correctly recognize which department it's for and display the tickets accordingly in the respective departments?

7 answers to this question

Well you can use multiple SMTP emails, but maybe not in google apps. I always recommend never to use Google Apps.

You can if you go to the Google Apps Admin dashboard, go to the users section to manage your users and add the e-mail accounts.

When you create the e-mail account and check its profile, you'll notice an alias field where you can add multiple e-mails to that account. I have not tested this yet, but I will in a few minutes.

Edit: Well, using the aliases works... I see that e-mailing support[at]eidolonhost.com results in it popping up in systems[at]eidolonhost.com's e-mail account. waiting to see if the billing system sees it and pulls it into the support section.

Edit2: Looks like it's not pulling the e-mail in. SMTP settings look correct to me.

Edit3: Whoops, set it to only clients can open tickets and reply. Fixed... now to see if it'll detect the new ticket.

Edit4: Cron is running but it seems to not be picking up the new ticket.

I realized when I was checking through settings that the departments themselves have the ability to use imap.

So I naturally set that up, but it seems the tickets are not being picked up. What else do I need to do to test this?

Btw, I really hate dealing with e-mail issues. -_-

Edit: Cron is firing as normal. E-mails work just fine. The billing system correctly sends out SMTP e-mails... I just can't tell if the system's unable to pick up IMAP e-mails and whatnot...

A few basic things to confirm:

Does the email still exist in your inbox after the cron runs to import ticket emails?

Is the support department configured to..

1. look at the right inbox?
  2. allow non-clients to mail in tickets?
  3. fetch tickets securely? Is the appropriate port selected? Reference here.

Is the cron task, "Download Tickets", enabled and running properly at its set interval?

Does the person that sent the email receive a bounce email? (e.g. ticket could not be added)

Is the IMAP extension available to PHP on the web server and in CLI mode?

If all that seems to be working correctly, you might double-check your IMAP settings.

A few basic things to confirm:

Does the email still exist in your inbox after the cron runs to import ticket emails?

Is the support department configured to..

1. look at the right inbox?
  2. allow non-clients to mail in tickets?
  3. fetch tickets securely? Is the appropriate port selected? Reference here.

Is the cron task, "Download Tickets", enabled and running properly at its set interval?

Does the person that sent the email receive a bounce email? (e.g. ticket could not be added)

Is the IMAP extension available to PHP on the web server and in CLI mode?

If all that seems to be working correctly, you might double-check your IMAP settings.

E-mail still exists in the inbox. It's not marked as read.

1. Yeah. It's set to look at Inbox for Google Apps... unless that's supposed to be INBOX.

2. Yeah, I noticed this earlier in the thread and set it to allow non-clients and clients to e-mail the support dept.

3. Should be fetching e-mail securely. Google's IMAP settings says port 993.

4. IMAP/POP3 is enabled for the e-mail account in question.

5. Cron task download ticket is enabled, set to run every 5 minutes.

6. No, I don't get any bounce e-mails.

Here's a screenshot of my support department settings:

http://imgur.com/Wi87ycD

Couldn't use img tags to display the image in-line. Ah well.

Edit:

Download Tickets

Connects to the POP3/IMAP server to download emails and convert them into tickets.

Task Last Ran: Jul 25, 2015 8:05:02 AM

Edit2: Looks like I finally got tickets working properly. For some reason I had to reset the password to get it to work again... odd.

Either way, it is now working properly and now I am able to see the ticket in the billing system.

Now to make sure the system sends out e-mail ticket replies...

Edit3: Looks like e-mails are being sent correctly... but it's showing up as systems[at]eidolonhost.com and not as support[at]eidolonhost.com ... why is the address not being re-written to show as coming from support[at]eidolonhost.com when sending via SMTP? Note: the rewrite option has been checked for support.

Good to hear you got it to retrieve email.

As for the From address in sent mail, do you have the "Email" field for the support department set to "support@...", and the "Override the from address set..." field checked? That's all you need. And of course, the ticket must be assigned to this department. All of these conditions met, email sent (e.g. the Ticket Updated email) should come with the From email address as set on the department.

Good to hear you got it to retrieve email.

As for the From address in sent mail, do you have the "Email" field for the support department set to "support@...", and the "Override the from address set..." field checked? That's all you need. And of course, the ticket must be assigned to this department. All of these conditions met, email sent (e.g. the Ticket Updated email) should come with the From email address as set on the department.

Yes, and yes.

See: http://imgur.com/SW6DpBQ

Question: Would the fact that I sent an e-mail to support@.. from my e-mail and the assigned staff e-mail being the same e-mail I just sent from be an issue? I'm just spitballing here because it should work as you describe...

Edit: System notified me of ticket update from system@.. rather than support@.. so, here's the content of the e-mail:

Hello,

Test 3

On Sat, Jul 25, 2015 at 9:41 AM, Support <systems@..> wrote:

To reply to this ticket, be sure to email support@.. from the address we sent this notice to. You may also update the ticket in our support area at domain.com/herp.

Technical Resources:

EidolonHost Knowledgebase

Service Status

Regards,

EidolonHost Technical Support

https://eidolonhost.com