Attempted Upgrade To 3.6.0...

EidolonHost

Question

So... obviously with the release of 3.6.0 out...

First thing I did was try to upgrade. Unfortunately... it pretty much hilariously failed. As in... every time I tried to do /admin/upgrade it simply redirected me to the dashboard.

I'm on 3.5.1, but I'm having trouble trying to get the system to upgrade to 3.6.0. Is the upgrader missing?

I'm looking through stuff and I can't seem to force an upgrade at all. It's driving me nuts.

10 answers to this question

If Blesta showed 3.5.1 in the footer, then you couldn't upgrade to v3.6.0 because the system was using files from version 3.5.1. In other words, Blesta thinks you're upgrading from v3.5.1 to v3.5.1 (i.e. no upgrade necessary). This only occurs if /app/app_controller.php was not overwritten with the one for v3.6.0. Once it is uploaded, the version shown in the footer of the admin UI will appear as version 3.6.0. At this point, running the upgrade at ~/admin/upgrade/ will upgrade the database to the latest version.

Everything's resolved but I just wanted to say thanks for clarifying why this was happening. Now that I know this, I'll be making sure I do the appropriate rituals next time upgrade time rolls around for both my development and production environment. :P

So, TL;DR: Forcibly overwrite /app/app_controller.php if you can, otherwise, save blesta.php in config/ outside of where the billing system and download the new copy of the software, put blesta.php back where it belongs. Along with relevant modules and do ~/admin/upgrade.

Should help someone else next time someone else runs face-first into this and tries a search. :) (and future me, as well)

Attempting to upgrade will redirect you back to the dashboard if the upgrade has already been performed. Similarly, if it completes successfully, you will be redirected back with a message that indicates it was successful. Are you sure the upgrade is not already completed? Are you sure all files have been uploaded?

Look at the database and check the `settings` table for the setting with `key` = database_version. What is the value? A value of '3.6.0-b1' is the latest version.

Also look in the footer of the admin UI to make sure the version is 3.6.0.

Attempting to upgrade will redirect you back to the dashboard if the upgrade has already been performed. Similarly, if it completes successfully, you will be redirected back with a message that indicates it was successful. Are you sure the upgrade is not already completed? Are you sure all files have been uploaded?

Look at the database and check the `settings` table for the setting with `key` = database_version. What is the value? A value of '3.6.0-b1' is the latest version.

Also look in the footer of the admin UI to make sure the version is 3.6.0.

Footer says 3.5.1. I mentioned that in the OP, rather, I said I'm on 3.5.1, which is the same thing. Checking database now.

I did get the immediate redirect to the dashboard but no successful message regarding the upgrade. Database version says 3.5.1, as well.

Edit: Also, I made sure to overwrite all the files when I unzipped the zip directly on the server. No change at all. It's really odd.

Edit2: I decided for the nuke from orbit option since it wasn't wanting to work properly.

Here's what I did:

rm -rf everything in the billing area after copying blesta.php to a safe place so it doesn't get nuked. Redownload 3.6.0. Unzip everything. Use hotfix to enable it to work on the latest version of php... then finally, copy blesta.php back to the config folder.

Hitting admin/upgrade did the trick... but I shouldn't have had to do that. Database now reports that it's at 3.6.0-b1

Edit3: Sidenote, this occurred after I hit admin/upgrade:

Oh noes!

Module 'BlestaLicense' does not exist. on line 29 in /home/eidolon/web/eidolonhost.com/public_html/billing/components/modules/modules.php 

Printing Stack Trace:

#0 /home/eidolon/web/eidolonhost.com/public_html/billing/app/models/module_manager.php(910): Modules::create('blesta_license')

#1 /home/eidolon/web/eidolonhost.com/public_html/billing/app/models/module_manager.php(356): ModuleManager->loadModule('blesta_license')

#2 /home/eidolon/web/eidolonhost.com/public_html/billing/components/upgrades/upgrades.php(316): ModuleManager->upgrade('4')

#3 /home/eidolon/web/eidolonhost.com/public_html/billing/components/upgrades/upgrades.php(85): Upgrades->processExtension('module', NULL)

#4 /home/eidolon/web/eidolonhost.com/public_html/billing/app/controllers/admin_upgrade.php(102): Upgrades->start('3.5.1', '3.6.0')

#5 /home/eidolon/web/eidolonhost.com/public_html/billing/lib/dispatcher.php(111): AdminUpgrade->process()

#6 /home/eidolon/web/eidolonhost.com/public_html/billing/index.php(21): Dispatcher::dispatch('/billing/admin/...')

#7 {main}

You sure the files aren't in the /blesta folder still? Or cPanel is doing what it has done to a customer of mine and refused to override files so he had to use FTP.

Mine's VestaCP. I had to forcibly rm -rf and unzip the new copy of Blesta 3.6.0 since FTP was for some reason refusing my connection as well. SSH was the only thing that worked. Not even SFTP. :P

But it seems to be all good, aside from that error at the end of the upgrade process.

Edit: Looks like I spoke too soon. Checking the modules and hitting the Blesta License Module upgrade button results in the License Manager throwing an error, as seen above in the earlier post.

Edit2: Oh wait, I derped. I'll have these fixed shortly. :P

Edit3: The errors I had are fixed... but the one above, I'll need to grab the License Manager module... and I don't seem to have access to that in my account with Blesta.

Edit4: Had to remove active packages. Tried uninstalling the module then installing it. It's now no longer present in the system. So uhh... yeah.

Mine's VestaCP. I had to forcibly rm -rf and unzip the new copy of Blesta 3.6.0 since FTP was for some reason refusing my connection as well. SSH was the only thing that worked. Not even SFTP. :P

But it seems to be all good, aside from that error at the end of the upgrade process.

Edit: Looks like I spoke too soon. Checking the modules and hitting the Blesta License Module upgrade button results in the License Manager throwing an error, as seen above in the earlier post.

Edit2: Oh wait, I derped. I'll have these fixed shortly. :P

Edit3: The errors I had are fixed... but the one above, I'll need to grab the License Manager module... and I don't seem to have access to that in my account with Blesta.

Download manager > paid extensions or contact the support team to find out why you don't have permission.

Hope you did save the config.php

Haha I need sleep sorry that's what I meant.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I saved it. :)

Thanks for your help. I've resolved all but the license manager issue... that should've been Captain Obvious to me... although.. I am still curious as to why the system didn't properly upgrade until I basically did the nuke from orbit option... eh. So long as it works, it works, right?

Footer says 3.5.1. I mentioned that in the OP, rather, I said I'm on 3.5.1, which is the same thing. Checking database now.

I am still curious as to why the system didn't properly upgrade until I basically did the nuke from orbit option... eh. So long as it works, it works, right?

If Blesta showed 3.5.1 in the footer, then you couldn't upgrade to v3.6.0 because the system was using files from version 3.5.1. In other words, Blesta thinks you're upgrading from v3.5.1 to v3.5.1 (i.e. no upgrade necessary). This only occurs if /app/app_controller.php was not overwritten with the one for v3.6.0. Once it is uploaded, the version shown in the footer of the admin UI will appear as version 3.6.0. At this point, running the upgrade at ~/admin/upgrade/ will upgrade the database to the latest version.